Desision

NukeBoy

Hi All,

I have been a lurker on this site for a while and I have a few questions to post to forum. I am 6'1" 220# 34" waist but 23" across shoulders. I really do not want a 4 place plane, but a 2 seat tandem aircraft. I had narrowed choices to the RV-8 and Long-EZ. Problem is the Long is a tight fit and the I would have cg issues in the RV due to size of my passengers (most often brothers and father) +260#.

1) Is there any issue with making the Cozy a large tandem aircraft? (King-EZ maybe)

2) I have a friend with a Long and have flown in it and wonder if the Cozy is as much fun to fly?

3) Could I narrow the Fuse at the front seat a little. (won't need the space)

4) Any problem with using the O-360 with a Constant Speed prop?

Thanks all, I'm sure I will be posting more questions.

1) Is there any issue with making the Cozy a large tandem aircraft?

Interesting question. I never heard this one before. I guess you could sit in the middle, with one leg either side of the nose gear.

The fuel valve would have to be moved, obviously, and you'd have to use the electric landing brake. Rudder rework wouldn't be too hard. Keep the one of the sticks. Putting duel controls in the back would be complicated.

2) I have a friend with a Long and have flown in it and wonder if the Cozy is as much fun to fly?

I can't answer that, since I haven't flown either. My guess would be yes.

3) Could I narrow the Fuse at the front seat a little. (won't need the space)

You probably could, but this would add complications that probably aren't worth the effort. Canard width, for example, is best left per plans. It would be a lot easier to build the fuse relatively stock and customise the inside.

4) Any problem with using the O-360 with a Constant Speed prop?

I don't think there's a problem, other than the cost. You might need some weight in the nose to compensate.

You should probably ask the designer for input on you're questions.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

I have a Long-EZ and Velocity and am building a Cozy. The EZ _might_ be a bit more nimble than a Cozy. Not enough to worry about. As for tandem seating, I don't like it. My EZ is IFR instrumented, and the panel is VERY busy. There is stuff I would like to have (like backup NAV-COM and mixer switches) but it just won't fit. EFIS type panel would be a great help, but wouldn't buy me a decent radio stack.

Biggest problem I have with tandem seating is that the passenger is dead weight cargo. Side by side seating allows passenger to participate in the flight (working radios and Nav gear, fetching maps and approach plates, looking stuff up, etc.). This GREATLY enhances communication and EVERYONE's enjoyment of the trip. Trust me on that. Also, the view from the back also bites.

In the service, what planes I flew that had more than one seat were tandem, but that was on account of they were just making a training version of a single seat plane. Truth be told, other than some arguably trivial increases in performance, I can't think of anything at all to recommend tandem seating.

Build a Cozy, make it a few inches fatter if you need to (like me), but DON'T go tandem .... Jim S.

...Destiny's Plaything...