Templet use

dust

Well in chapter 4 we made bulkheads, a very scarry process in those days, and because we are building two planes we would stack the bulkheads on each other to compare them.

They were not the "same", left and right were not the same, Soooooooooooooo I went and took tracing paper and 1/4 luan plywood and made templets for all of the parts and have done it ever since.

I take my time shaping the templet, draw a centerline on the foam and the final shape of the part. Lay up the part with the appropiate plies to 1 or so inches bigger that needed, rough cut with sabersaw apply templet with double sided tape, trim to 1/16 oversize with solid 1/4" carbide spiral bit and 5/16" or was it 3/8") bushing and then to templet size with straight bottom bearing bit.

I know it is overkill, just can't stand to not have things as good as i can get them.

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

spiral carbide bit - looks like an end mill, but with less twist.

router bushing - screws into hole around bit in little rabbit in most router basses, also used in dovetail jigs, come in sizes from 3/16 to over 1 inch. Cuts to width of bushing - diameter of cutter bit devided by 2 so 3/8 bushing- 1/4 inch bit = 1/8 inch. 1/8 devided by 2 = 1/16 inch. This combination will cut your shape to 1/16 of an inch bigger than the plywood templet. The spiral cut bit is important because is cuts smooth and is very tough, this fiberglass is hard on tools.

Bottom bearing straight carbide router bit - 1/4 inch shank, 1/2 inch bearing, 1/2 inch cutterhead (in that order), also called flush cutting bit, but don't get top bearing bit, requires templet on the wrong side of panel, you won't be able to see the templet for the panel in the way.

Make sure the bit is not rubbing on the bushing!!! once used a 3/16 bit in a 1/4 inch id bushing, all of the sudden i saw smoke from the base of the router. picked the router up and the bushing was red hot, the wood i was trimming was chared, the 3/16 bit i was using had a 1/4 inch shank! 1/4 in shank in 1/4 inch hole = allot of heat!!!!

Can you picture this, i added allot of numbers and a calculation

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/