SportAir Composite Class ...Thumbs Up.

fredreinke

Hello All:

For those of you who may be somewhat apprenhensive about constructing a composite aircraft, you need to attend the EAA composite class. I just completed the class today in Corona, CA and found it to be pivotal in my decision to proceed with homebuilding a Cozy.

The instructor, Larry Graves formerly of Aircrafters in Watsonville, was able to impart many nuggets of wisdom, especially during the hands-on portion of the class. The class went through everything composite: epoxies, micro, peel-ply, carbon fiber, kevlar, foams... I was even able to complete my "hatch cover" with a vacuum bagging setup.

I had gone through all the Cozy/Velocity/LongEZ websites studying all the different ways to build an aircraft, but I still felt that the learning curve would be too steep and I'd drag construction out. Not any more!

I think the $259(EAA Member) fee was well spent and I'm ready to tackle my Cozy after my workshop is complete. Another benefit was I was also able to meet another Cozy person...hopefully I can share his jigs! :)

Good Luck,

Fred Reinke

Riverside, CA

Well, we are three building two planes and always have at least 6 hands. We also have a variety of helpers and others that come once or come often to plane day.

What we have learned is if someone comes to work, it is very efficient and allot of information can be passed along, not just the work that is being done that day.

If someone comes to see, it just takes time.

With all of the active builders out there, everyone should post where they are and when they build and all of the lookers that are full of apprehension about building should go work on planes.

Extra hands are always great.

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

A fine suggestion. I live in Calgary, Alberta and would love the opportunity to help a builder in this area (if there are any).

And while writing, if anybody who has finished their Cozy is planning on coming through Calgary please send me an email. I would really like to get a look at the finished product.

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121

A bribe.....

Hmmmm, thats how politicians usually get in trouble, but I'm game...

I will treat the first Cozy builder who flies through and lets me examine/sit in their plane to a genuine Alberta steak dinner (or lunch if time doesn't permit).

Any takers?

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121