Varieze History

rmc3pe

Hi my name is Robert. I just arraged to trade a gyrocopter for a varieze project. The airframe has old paint pealing off and no N-number, however it has the name Stork Airlines painted on the fuselage. Has anyone on this site ever seen this aircraft? The brakes show enough wear that I expect it has flown, but it would be to hear from someone who knew the history of this aircraft.

Hi my name is Robert. I just arraged to trade a gyrocopter for a varieze project. The airframe has old paint pealing off and no N-number, however it has the name Stork Airlines painted on the fuselage. Has anyone on this site ever seen this aircraft? The brakes show enough wear that I expect it has flown, but it would be to hear from someone who knew the history of this aircraft.

There were suposed to be 5000 varieze's built around the world. I think I know where most of them are.

If you can figure out how it was originally registered, you can reapply for an N-number.

BTW, Rutan originally recommend at waxy black UV primer which didn't stick very well. I had to strip and refinish a Cozy III with that stuff. Your Vari might be suffering from the same problem. Just sayin'.

Pics?

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I look at this airplane about 2 months ago. It looked as tho it was set up to be in a parade or something. It had a tow hook on the front and lights attached to the top of the wing and fuselage. I imagine the brakes are worn from that. I spoke with the original seller, he had no info what so ever on this plane. I did asvise him that it was a very rough build and to sell as a "parts only Plane" which he did. I still have his info if you would like. This airplane sat outside for a very long time and was full of water when I saw it. I questioned the wing mounts and saw alot of possible delamination. Just my 2cents. be careful

Looking at the pictures on ebay, you have a lot of work ahead of you if you have already made the trade. If not I think I would pass...looking at the pics of the cockpit and rear seat, it appears to be pretty beat up and not the best quality construction to begin with. As Dan said, it is very likely that the wing mounts are badly corroded if it has been sitting outside a long time and filled with water. It may be repairable, but how much time and money do you want to invest.... That's my two cents.

Life is much too Important to be taken Seriously

Hi DanPilot91 and Snoopy,

Thank you very much for your reply. I would very much like to have the original seller's information. Snoopy, sadly enough I already traded for the plane this past weekend. You guys are right it is VERY rough, but I didn't have much money in the gyrocopter. As long as the plane IS repairable, I'm not too disappointed. The wing mounts didn't show any corrosion, but the fiberglass is not very good at all. I expect I will have to replace significant portions of the fiberglass on the fuselage and wings. Do any of you guys know anyone with a set of used plans I could purchase, or information on reskinning one of these planes? Also, do you guys recognize the engine mount from the ebay pictures and have any idea what kind of engine it might have had?? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Robert

Hi DanPilot91 and Snoopy,

Thank you very much for your reply. I would very much like to have the original seller's information. Snoopy, sadly enough I already traded for the plane this past weekend. You guys are right it is VERY rough, but I didn't have much money in the gyrocopter. As long as the plane IS repairable, I'm not too disappointed. The wing mounts didn't show any corrosion, but the fiberglass is not very good at all. I expect I will have to replace significant portions of the fiberglass on the fuselage and wings. Do any of you guys know anyone with a set of used plans I could purchase, or information on reskinning one of these planes? Also, do you guys recognize the engine mount from the ebay pictures and have any idea what kind of engine it might have had?? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Robert

Looks a bit rough but many variezes did and flew fine. some of the building techniques in the olden days were not as refined as today. looks as if it did fly.

before you panic and tear off a lot of glass you should have it looked at by someone who has built and flies one. it may not be all that bad, some time they just look bad because of the paint. We just completed a repair on a vari old Vari that was crashed landed for the second time back in april where the all the landing gear was torn out, the nose broken off and the canopy broken. it will fly again this weekend. any thing on these plans is fixable and will take a lot less time then starting from scratch. good luck on the project. and a smart trade by the way

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for the encouraging words. I'm glad to hear that the varieze can be repaired. Do you happen to know of any builders in the Central Florida area or where I can obtain plans or information on what directions to lay any fiberglass that may need replacing (I know there's a little that I'm going to need to replace).

Thank you for your response and helpfulness.

Sincerely,

Robert

Robert,

Congrats on your new project; the uglier the better I say.

Sure it’s a lot of work and I agree (as I am sure you do) that safety should not be compromised, so it will take quite a bit of effort to get your project in the air; but it will be that much more satisfying when you finish.

You’re in luck if you need technical advice and or assistance in Central Florida, Bob Setzer is located in Lakeland. He has a beautiful VariEZe with a custom boat-tail cowling, powered by a Continental 0-200.

Bob is currently building what he calls the “A-Solution,” an amazing plane that incorporates many of the positive aspects of the Long-EZ and Berkut aircraft.

Bob is a master craftsman, with several composite aircraft builds under his belt. I personally have taken him a couple of parts from my aircraft (VariEZe) to get some advice and direction and he has always been extremely helpful.

You can find him on this site.

Good Luck

Tony

Miami, Fl.

VariEZe ( Re-build )