Building Aboard

Crazycanuck

I was wondering if anybody knew about homebuilt aircraft rules in offshore jurisdictions like Cayman Islands, Bahamas, or Channel Islands. I am considering employment offshore and I would like to bring my project with me. It would be a good way to pass the time while away. I know that Canadian homebuilding laws seem fairly flexible and easy to negotiate. Are the countries lists above more open to the experimental category, or are they restrictive? Obviously I don’t expect anybody to know the specifics of each country, but has anybody on the board built an aircraft aboard and then imported it back into Canada or the United States?

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536

FYI - It doesn't seem to be a huge problem. I recieved the following reply from MDRA regarding the question.

Transport Canada has assured us that MPL 10(copy attached)- the document governing construction of Amateur Built aircraft outside Canada- is still valid, as is the exemption document, and both will remain so. You are responsible to ensure that the country in which you build the aircraft will permit you to fly it with a Canadian registration and Certificate of Airworthiness.

Please read the attached document and call me if you have any questions.

Please note also that the category in which you wish to build is Amateur Built- we do not use that other word in Canada.

Regards

Crazy Canuck

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cozy MKIV #MK1536