Cozy's in Houston?

Hi everyone,

Its now official, I am the proud owner of Cozy Mark IV plans #1551. My road is winding, but I eventually ended up coming back to the Cozy. I have loved this design since I first saw it years ago, but first decided to build a Zenith 601XL. Several different things led me to abandon and sell of the XL project and come back to the Cozy.

I am looking forward to building and after a few weeks of studying the plans I will be placing my Chapter 4 order. I don't imagine I will set any records with build time, since I cant put it at the top of the priority list, but with consistant effort I should be able to make airplane noises soon.

Is there anyone building of Rutan aircraft (or clone) in the Houston area I can touch and feel, or even beg a ride in? I spotted a Houston post from January of 2007, but have no idea if anyone is still around.

I am a member of EAA chapter 774 out of Sportflyers in Brookshire and I live in Katy on the west side of Houston.

Happy building and Flying Folks,

Matt Stecher

CM4

All the Cozy builders in Houston seem to be over by Ellington field for the most part (must be something in the water there). I did see one parked at the Sugar Land airport last week, but I'm not sure if its based there or was just passing through. If I see it again I'll be sure the write down the r number.

I would recommend you sign up for the Cozy Mailing List, if you have not done so already. I almost have the wife convinced, at which point I will order the plans myself. It would be nice to have somewhere nearby with which to compare work.

http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/

Chris

Sugar Land, TX

Chris

Most of the Cozy builders in Houston are in the Ellington Field area for the most part (something in the water I guess). I believe I did see one at the Sugar Land airport last week, but I'm not sure if it's based there or was just passing through. I've almost convinced my wife at which point I'll be ordering the plans myself. It would be nice to have someone nearby with whom I could compare work.

If you have not done so already, I recommend you join the cozy mailing list:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/

Chris

Thanks for the Cozy list suggestion Chris. I also think we need a few builders on the west side to help balance the area out.

I think we have a LEZ at West Houston (IWS), but I have only seen him in the air a few times and am not sure who it is and not really sure.

As one of the Canard types out at Ellington, I am in the engine test/wiring phases of my Velocity SE (rotary 13b). Your are welcome to come visit me in hangar Alpha Papa (controlled access airport so give my cell a call at 832-818-CELL/2355 if you would like to meet or have any questions).

Some of the canards have left the field, but I know we have my Velo, the Vari-ez my hangar mate is rebuilding, the prettiest Cozy 3 I have ever seen in the final stages of the build (It's owner, Dennis, does fiberglass so well it looks like the entire plane was machined out of billit aluminum....go figure, he is a Nasa engineer ;), a Cozy 4 that in which I have spoken to the owner one time (he is not the builder but is flying and was trying to find a small fuel leak when I spoke to him), a bright yellow Long-ez owned by an astronaut who had to retire from flying space ships due to a medical issue (FAA medical still ok) and an older (single hatch clam shell door) Velocity that we spoted a few months ago and determined had just moved in. The ower had two other planes and we have not seen his Velo in a while). Since there is about a 3+ year wait for a hangar at Ellington for the privilage of paying the City of Houston $450.00 to $950 a month I would think he did not move out on a whim).

The couple of canards that left belonged to another Astronaut, Jim Voss (who has also baught a Cirrus) and the former number 2 guy at NASA. I can't think of his name off hand (Charlie Precort perhaps????). Those NASA types have all the kewl toys...:)

I know of two other Velo projects in the Houston area. One, an XL, is owned by the Continental Express Airlines chief training pilot. He is up in the Woodlands. I can't remember his name either, but he visited my project when it was still in my garage and allowed me to "play"...uh, I mean tour/train in a "Flight Safety" simulator out at Hobby (KHOU). The other one is a Velocity SE being built by another Nasa engineer and close friend of Jim Voss, Mary. IIRC, her project is in Jims gargare at the moment in the dead cockroach stage. If you want more Velo builders in the area, contact the factory, they will give you more names and contact info if it has been cleared by the individual builder. No, it is not a Cozy, but there are many similiararities between the build process on the two planes.

I would love for you to visit my project. EAA Chapter 12, first chapter in Texas (since 1954), meets at the Southwest Services FBO at 7:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month, but do not feel limited by the meeting time, if'n you want to come on by, just give me a call. I am a cop in Bellaire and get off at about 3:00 pm and am off on Tuesday and Wednesday's. On the days when my current S/O lets me:sad: :irked::rolleyes: , I am out at the hangar.

Again, should you have any questions, concerns, comments or curiosities, give me a call. At times, I am able to chat while at work should you want to call.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Thanks Chris (B),

I stumbled onto your web site and enjoyed looking around. I would love to stop by and take a look at your plane. I usually have half days on Fridays, but its starting to get busy again, and that may go away for awhile. So I will give you a call and try to set something up.

My tech councilor will also most likely have to come out of your chapter since I don't think 774 has any rutan building folks, but I will have to check.

I will most likely use the mazda, but am taking a wait and see approach. There several flying versions now and I am most interested to see how everyone addresses the accessory difficulties.

Happy Building,

Matt

• 1 month later...

I am in Baytown and hope to start a MK IV by years end. I am still trying to decide. I also wish there was one I could sit in. I am very concercned about the angle of the seat back since I prefer to sit in a very upright position. I think the MK IV is the biggest bang for the buck though.

Smokin

Smokin,

I am training in Cessnas and Pipers and actually find the reclined position to be more comfortable. I had a quick sit in Mark Ewarts cozy 4 (tub stage) and I fit just fine (which is good since I am building one).

I also am getting quite a few forms from Mark that I will be able to pass on to someone else after I finish with them. Right now I have his Longeron, Side & Bottom panel forms that will get me through Chapter 6. I figure I am about half way through Chapter 4 right now and will probably need them for a few more months.

Matt