Put a Rotary on your Long-EZ or Open EZ

Eccentric

I'm interested in learning more about your mount & experience. We talked at Canards de Mayo in Columbia (I'm the guy that followed you down the runway asking questions about your rotary install) and I was intrigued by your implementation. You mentioned that you were essentially running an unmodified engine off mogas and that you hadn't done anything special to adapt your rotary to aviation use.

What performance are you seeing with this, and what do you guess (roughly) it would cost to duplicate?

Ben Hallert - http://hallert.net/cozy/ - Chapter 1 - EAA Chapter#31

I'm interested in learning more about your mount & experience. We talked at Canards de Mayo in Columbia (I'm the guy that followed you down the runway asking questions about your rotary install) and I was intrigued by your implementation. You mentioned that you were essentially running an unmodified engine off mogas and that you hadn't done anything special to adapt your rotary to aviation use.

What performance are you seeing with this, and what do you guess (roughly) it would cost to duplicate?

Hi Ben,

I installed my rotary back in 1997, at the time I couldn't figure out how to put shock mounts in, so I didn't. The engine and mount are bolted directly to the airframe. You can probably only do that with a rotary! I've been refining the design of a new mount on paper for years now. I decided I'm not actually going to build and install the new mount until I have to take the engine off for some reason. That hasn't happened yet, over 5 years and almost 500 hours since the engine was last installed. There are other rotary projects in process on other airframes with this type of mount design.

You would want more power on a Cozy IV than I have (approx. 145 HP). This can be done various ways: porting, supercharger, turbocharger, 3-rotor, etc.

You can do it for under $10k including a professional engine build, PSRU and accessories.