Flying qualities

With the understanding the the Cozy is a cross country machine not an aerobatic one. what are your opinions about the flying qualities in general and roll rate and pitch/roll control harmony? Do you find the roll rate satisfactory (marginal, excellent, perfect)? and do roll stick forces match pitch stick forces? What GA airplanes would you compare it to? This was discussed in the CAFE report but I don't have it handy and I've heard some criticism of the roll rate/roll authority at low (landing) airspeeds. I'd like to hear opinions from folks with longer actual experience in the plane. How long are you comfortable letting the plane fly "hands-off" in moderate turbulence (while folding maps, getting a drink of water, looking for the pen you just dropped, etc., etc.)?

I don't know if I have enough experience in the Cozy to give real good feedback, but as a novice in the plane, with a whopping 4 hours total in 2 different planes, I feel pretty comfortable with the plane now, and the side stick is very intuitive.

I have not seen any issues with roll rate, though I’ve made all of my approaches at 80 knots so far. I’m not sure what my touchdown speeds have been, but probably pretty slow, because the plane really like to fly in ground effect if you’re fast. I have had no issues with elevator authority.

I have found the pitch sensitivity to be longer learning curve. I can’t say that it’s more difficult; it just takes getting used to. When turning, you actually move the stick a little. While in level flight, you just apply a little pressure to climb or descend.

I’ve flown several different planes, including multiengine. I really can’t think of one that flies like the Cozy Probably the closest was a 2 place Lancair. In cruise it is very similar, but the one I flew got squirrelly at low speed as in landing. The nose just wanders around. The Cozy has been stable at all speeds, so far.

Steve Brooks

Cozy MKIV N75CZ

Turbo Rotary

Steve Brooks

Cozy MKIV N75CZ

Mazda 13BT