I am planning to build an airplane that is capable of flying 1100 nm nonstop. It has to have resonable low operating cost and preferably a diesel or turboprop powerplant. Gas is expensive here! Is Cozy Mk4 a good choice?

I live in Sweden and I am a little concerned about how ice affect the aerodynamic and flying characteristics of canard type configurations. I do not intend to fly into icing conditions, but I will fly IMC. On these latitudes with winter 8 months of the year it could be difficult to avoid some icing.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience or knowledge in this topic.

Thanks

Melki

• 4 months later...

Melki,

I guess it is strange to get an answer on icing from Australia. It is not fun! The canard is VERY heavily loaded compared to the main wing - test it - look at the location of the C of G range compared to both the lifting surfaces. The reduced pressure over the high lift canard causes a really quick ice build up and the nose is going down - right NOW. I have had this in the summer at FL 145 and in the winter at uncomfortably low levels at night in rain and cloud. I now avoid any risk of icing like the plague.

But the aeroplane will certainly do 1100 nm on a tank of gas if you just slow down a bit or install a bigger tank. I've done 1050 on standard tanks with an IO-320 and still had 2.25 hours reserve at 55%.

Tony

Tony

Cozy-3

VH-COZ

Australia

Tony,

Thanks for your reply. It is difficult to find another aircraft that will fly 1100 nm nonstop for for the same cost as a Cozy. My building (or buying) project is still a few years away but I still consider the Cosy in spite of the risk of icing. I guess you just have to chose the right day to fly :)

Other small aircraft are not so pleasant in icing conditions either....

Melki

• 1 month later...

I am planning to build an airplane that is capable of flying 1100 nm nonstop. It has to have resonable low operating cost and preferably a diesel or turboprop powerplant.

Diesel is a good idea (IMHO). If I am going to build, that

is something I will consider.

Gas is expensive here!

Yes, exactly the same problem here,

I think it is even more expensive here in Finland... :(

Best Regards,

Karoliina Salminen