Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About TParker

  • Rank
    New Member

Personal Information

  • Real Name (Public)
  • Location (Public)

Project/Build Information

  • Plane

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Nope, not yet. If you do, please share. The weights of the surfaces are close to the maximums listed for balanced and painted surfaces. So if they're not balancing that's because the weight is in the wrong spot. I can think of the following possibilities: I've misunderstood how this was supposed to be measured Balance weights are in the wrong position Maybe I can move them if this is the case Balance weights are too small Can't do much with this, as the surfaces are already very close to the allowable weights Elevator brackets have the pivot in the wrong position Elevator has too much paint on trail edge Elevator was built poorly Needs to be replaced
  2. I strung up the elevators to see if they met the balance requirements of CPs 21, 57, 106 and found that they didn't. Both were about 6°. The CPs are a bit inconsistent, with 21 calling for 10°-20° in the text then 10°-25° in the sketch while 57 and 106 call for 12°-20°. Either way, my elevators a long way from meeting this. I haven't checked the orientation of the two balance weights yet to see if they are positioned per the plans. I did notice that the inboard balance weight on both elevators has the elevator hinge hole out of alignment with the rest of the outboard fittings; fixing this would rotate the balance weight such that it's CG would be further ahead of the tube which would be advantageous for the overall balance. However, this adjustment would be minor and I think unlikely to bring the elevator into balance.
  3. I place a lot of importance on aircraft weight and balance, so I went a little nuts weighing everything. The empty weight of this EZ was, according to the builder, 890 lbs when equipped with the 235 and 1013 lbs when equipped with the 360. Both weights included lead ballast required in the nose to balance. My findings: Fuselage as it currently sits, no interior: 315 lbf Right wing: 79 lbf Left wing: 83 lbf Canard, with elevators: 29 lbf Left elevator: 3.4 lbf, less than the 3.6 lbf required by CPs 21, 57, 106 Right elevator: 3.7 lbf, less than the 3.9 lbf required by CPs 21, 57, 106 Close though, CPs mention that a well built example should be "well" below these weights but provides no variance data O-235-L2C, with starter, alternator, mags, 6" prop extension, carb, no oil: 257.8 lbf engine mount: 7.4 lbf Top Cowl: 8 lbf Bottom Cowl: 10 lbf Stainless exhaust: 5 lbf Wood fixed pitch prop (B&T 62x66): 8 lbf Aluminum spinner: 3 lbf What's left of the instrument panel, including engine gauges, vacuum Attitude & DG, and Terra transponder: 11 lbf Which brings the current total to 817 lbs. Notable missing items are battery, radio(s), oil cooler, several control rods, much of an interior, wiring I also spent some time trying to figure out if there was something I was missing regarding the brakes/rudders. This is how it's currently set up: This appears to activate the brake as soon as the rudder is applied. Not sure I like this, if you land with a crosswind correction you'd be landing with the wheel already braked. Two questions regarding interior finishing What's this black anti-skid-ish coating called? Is there a good way to remove it other than sandpaper and elbow grease?
  4. As I fix/modify things it will end up with patches, then once I'm reasonably happy with how it flies I'll think about repainting it. Do most people use rattle can primer for small areas? Cosmetics are the least of my concerns at the moment because it needs powerplant, avionics, and general rehab/updating. Don't know any local EZ people but I have a buddy building a Velocity and a coworker who built a Quickie.
  5. Hi, I bought a Long-EZ project, hopefully didn't err too grievously with my selection. It was previously flying, first flight in 1988. Originally equipped with an O-235-L2C, it later had an O-360-A4A installed. In 1992, the 360 was removed with the stated intent of reinstalling the 235 and it hasn't flown since; it's accumulated some hangar rash, along with various things being stripped for use in other projects or with the intent of upgrading. This is very much a rebuild project, not a reassembly project; I thought it would a good tool to learn a lot about homebuilding aircraft relatively quickly. So far I've mostly been figuring out what exactly I bought, looking closely at everything, and doing background research on the MAN-GRD CP plans changes. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and can hopefully get suggestions/feedback on how to do this properly.

The Canard Zone

  • Create New...

Important Information