IFR flying

mzwijacz

Now that my panel is finished with a IFR navigator, I was wondering where others flying IFR are lowering the gear and the landing brake ? At the IAF, Initial Approach Fix, FAF, Final Approach Fix ? I'm hoping to complete my IPC this summer.

I think most would agree that it’s best to be configured before the FAF.    Gear down, fullest tank selected, minimums and missed approach reviewed.   I wouldn’t use the landing brake until short final.    Rarely use it anyway on a long runway 

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

32 minutes ago, mzwijacz said:

Now that my panel is finished with a IFR navigator, I was wondering where others flying IFR are lowering the gear and the landing brake ? At the IAF, Initial Approach Fix, FAF, Final Approach Fix ? I'm hoping to complete my IPC this summer.

I turn on the fuel pump and lower the gear at the IAF - want to be completely configured and at 90 KIAS upon getting established. Generally, with no wind, I can maintain the 3 degree glideslope with the engine at idle, gear down, and 90 KIAS. Headwind, might need a bit of power, tailwind, might need both rudders. I don't extend the landing brake until I'm below decision height and know I'm landing, if I then need it.

Which navigator did you get?

Marc,

Found an old 430 when I was acquiring equipment for my panel. I was going to upgrade it to WAAS but Garmin raised to price sooooooo much, decided against it. Probably a good thing, I've had my rating for 20 years but never used it. I think I'll keep my personal minimums at around 6-800 ft. Just want to get through coastal layers. My guess is I'll only need to use it in actual 6-8 times a year with an additional 10 or so times a year in VFR for currency. Expect to fly IFR for maybe another 12-15 years, then VFR only. 

With the price to upgrade around $12k that means every actual approach is about $125/ea. Not worth it to me and flying non-precision is probably safer.  Anyway there aren't many precision GPS approaches in the mountains anyway. They are mostly LNAV.