Time for another Canard Zone upgrade

Hello everyone,

In order to keep current with the latest capabilities for the forum, I am planning to upgrade from version 4.4 to version 4.6.6 of the forum software. Version 4.5 introduced major changes 1 year ago, and the software is now mature and stable. Benefits include a refined user interface, and improved means to manage all of this stuff (which I will most appreciate).

In addition, I am looking to improve the overall structure of the site to simplify its presentation and navigation. Mainly, this will be the top menu system, but may also include refinement to the forum/sub-forum structure. We have a lot of sub-forums here, and sometimes I get confused as to where I should post something. 

I am asking for input and comments from anyone that would help make the Canard Zone a better place for building and flying homebuilt canard aircraft. What do you want to see new or improved at the Canard Zone?

Jon

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• Jon Matcho changed the title to Time for another Canard Zone upgrade

For me, I just keep an eye on the New Posts. There isn't too much new content in general, so I keep up with content that way exclusively.

• Like 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

18 hours ago, Voidhawk9 said:

For me, I just keep an eye on the New Posts. There isn't too much new content in general, so I keep up with content that way exclusively.

A top priority will continue to be a click away from seeing the new posts stream. There isn't much content at times, so everyone, stop being so shy! 😉

10 hours ago, jridge said:

How about pulling in content from the now apparently defunct Canard Aviation and Canard Community Forums.

I had offered and tried to do that for years, but was met time after time with rejection. Unfortunately the better of those two forums appears to have failed and the data may be no more. I am certainly open to that if it's even possible.0

2 hours ago, Crspy said:

Not sure what knobs can be turned, but the ads on mobile are pretty obnoxious

There's a two-part answer for that:

1) Easy = just login to the forum and ads go away.

2) Requires work = I would love to replace the Google ads with proper aviation-related sponsors, but that's for another day. Until then, the few $ received from the Google ads helps keep at least 1 of the lights on.

What else?

I'm in the same boat with Voidhawk9--I just look for new posts, since it's not an overwhelming number.  One feature I've seen on other fora that I don't see here is a link to the first unread post of each thread.  I see links to the first and last post in each thread, but not to the "first unread" post.  I find that I click the link to go to the last post, then scroll upward to find the first unread.

I appreciate your efforts in keeping this forum running, Jon!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

One feature I've seen on other fora that I don't see here is a link to the first unread post of each thread.

Yes! That was once available here, but was a casualty of a software upgrade. I'll look for an option to make that happen.

In the meantime, try selecting the Forum menu, then New Posts sub-menu to bring you here: https://www.canardzone.com/discover/7/