Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Upali

long sanding blocks

Recommended Posts

Serveral discussions on this page

https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/page/13/?tab=comments#comment-62441

IMO 36" is unwieldy and you have to glue long sandpaper to it.  I use pieces of 2X4 about 18" long, round the ends slightly and staple or tack belt-sander belts to them.  However, an aluminum bar is useful as described above.

 


-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips Kent. I will see if I can use a 2X4 piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Upali said:

Can I adopt an aluminum tube similar to the one below? I can make sure it will be flat enough and I am looking for about 36" block.

Yes, that would work, _IF_ the extrusion is perfectly straight and flat. There are few 2x4's on the planet that are flat/straight enough to use for a sanding block - you'd never get a really good contour. 3" is a bit narrow, although it would take a 3" roll of paper.

I used a 1/2" thick piece of plexiglass as large as 3 sheets of 3M wetordry sandpaper, and glued a 2" x 2" AL extrusion to the back to keep it straight. With 3 sheets of paper on it, being about 33' - 36" long, you get really good coverage and straightness/flatness on your contours. 18" is marginal for wing/canard contouring, IMO. The larger the sanding block, the better your contour will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

Yes, that would work, _IF_ the extrusion is perfectly straight and flat. There are few 2x4's on the planet that are flat/straight enough to use for a sanding block - you'd never get a really good contour. 3" is a bit narrow,

Well, whatever floats your boat but this block (16") and aluminum bar have finished three airplanes.  "The poor carpenter blames his tools."  🙂

IMG_2221.JPG


-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kent Ashton said:

Well, whatever floats your boat but this block (16") and aluminum bar have finished three airplanes.  "The poor carpenter blames his tools."  🙂

 

Well, yeah, I could wrap a piece of 80 grit around a ball-peen hammer and contour a plane, but it wouldn't be pretty :-). I'm shooting for optimal, not adequate here :-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! 

I already bought duragold 2-3/4" (width) sandpaper rolls. Should I go for larger width or will this work?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

Well, yeah, I could wrap a piece of 80 grit around a ball-peen hammer and contour a plane, but it wouldn't be pretty :-). I'm shooting for optimal, not adequate here :-).

Pissch!  I can contour an award-winner with a concrete block!  Usually start with a regular block, then go to a red stepping stone for a finer finish.  Next airplanes we build, we will have to hold a contest  🙂

49 minutes ago, Upali said:

I already bought duragold 2-3/4" (width) sandpaper rolls. Should I go for larger width or will this work?

Those should work but 20 yards is enough for 4 airplanes.  You need various grits though.  36 to get started, then finer.  220-240, 320


-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 48" Great Planes Easy Touch aluminum extrusion. They are discontinued at this length, but are found used on EBay or rc airplane classifieds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

Pissch!  I can contour an award-winner with a concrete block!  Usually start with a regular block, then go to a red stepping stone for a finer finish.  Next airplanes we build, we will have to hold a contest  🙂

 

Hah! When I was a boy, we'd contour sand with a wet strand of spaghetti, wrapped with hot gravel. You try to tell kids these days, and they won't believe you.

In any case, it'll be a cold day in hell before I build myself another airplane, so this contest will have to occur in another lifetime...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys for all the insight! Will be back with tons of questions once I start the project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

The Canard Zone

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information