Looking for any SQ2000 flying or builders

12 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

If the words "San Diego" mean anything to you, better search the archives for SQ2000 + San Diego. 

Thank you Kent, yes I had previously searched and am aware of the SQ2000 in San Diego and its reported concerns.

At this point and the purpose for this post was to locate actual builders and actual flyers of SQ2000. 

Have been very fortunate to speak to 1 actual flyer and 1 that is still building SQ2000 but not yet flying today.

Regards

Edited by RocketAviator
edits

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Lacee,

I've had a partial Kit sitting in my garage for a long time (purchased in 2006 from another want to be builder) and am just now able to start to think about working on it.  Before purchased it I did visit Stan Montgomery in Dayton and took a test flight.  I'm missing the Wings, Canard, Stakes, and gear so I'll be looking to find or have those built.  If you have any contacts that could help with those parts, I'd greatly appreciate getting them.   At one point I do remember reading something about a group called the "Cosy Girls", I think, that may be able to build some parts, but I can't seem to find any current reference.  I did also read somewhere that Stan's son purchased or had some of the parts so I may try to find a contact for him.  

What exactly is your interest?

45 minutes ago, VernB said:

At one point I do remember reading something about a group called the "Cosy Girls", I think, that may be able to build some parts, but I can't seem to find any current reference.

http://www.cozygirrrl.com/aircraftparts.htm     but they do not offer much for SQ2000s.  You might call Jet Guys   https://www.jetguys.co/      who do a lot of work on canards but it's not cost-effective to have things built.  There is a builder that works on SQs but his reputation has been questioned.  Search this site and you'll read about it.  Unless you plan to build it yourself, buying whatever parts you can locate, you'd be a lot better off to sell your fuselage and look at a Rutan/Puffer canard which are well-supported, or a complete kit, like a Vans airplane.

Trying to finish a complex orphan design is fraught with difficulty.   With 1 post here, it sounds like you are new to building but I am pretty sure a lot of us here would tell you the same thing. 

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 2/3/2021 at 7:43 AM, RocketAviator said:

I’m wanting to make contact with anyone who has an actual flying SQ2000 as well as anyone who is building or has been involved in building and flying or maintaining a SQ2000.

Would appreciate any assistance 

thanks in advance 

I have a SQ 2000 that I bought in Florida May of 2018. I flew it home and absolutely love it. I am based at Corona airport (KAJO) in California. I have some photos of the plane somewhere in the Canardzone. I have over 118 hours on it now, I am putting in a new Grand Rapids 10.1 EFIS. Hope to be back in the air next week. Let me know if you any questions.   Kevin

On 1/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, kingbonanza said:

I have a SQ 2000 that I bought in Florida May of 2018. I flew it home and absolutely love it. I am based at Corona airport (KAJO) in California. I have some photos of the plane somewhere in the Canardzone. I have over 118 hours on it now, I am putting in a new Grand Rapids 10.1 EFIS. Hope to be back in the air next week. Let me know if you any questions.   Kevin

Kevin would love to talk to you on the SQ2000. 1 is up for sale and it has my interest. If you willing to talk sometime let me know. Thanks Steve 

7 hours ago, sknightflyer said:

Kevin would love to talk to you on the SQ2000. 1 is up for sale and it has my interest. If you willing to talk sometime let me know. Thanks Steve 

If you're referring to N440DH, you want to stay as far away from that plane as you possibly can. See all the other discussions of that plane on this forum, and elsewhere. Anything built or worked on by Dave Hanson should be avoided like the plague, IMO.

22 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

If you're referring to N440DH, you want to stay as far away from that plane as you possibly can. See all the other discussions of that plane on this forum, and elsewhere. Anything built or worked on by Dave Hanson should be avoided like the plague, IMO.

Thank you Marc for the info. I agree with your comments on the SQ2000 in the San Diego area. That aircraft was in my hanger for over 5 months before  going to Bill's hanger at Chino. My SQ2000 (N14275) is flying great, I'm out of Corona (KAJO). We met up in Mohave for the 5oth anniversary of the Long Ez. with Burt Dick Rutan a couple of years ago.   

9 hours ago, VernB said:

Kevin,

If you can locate the pictures, it would be helpful. Also, if you have any info on the builder, you'd feel comfortable sharing that would be potentially useful as well. 

Thanks!

Hi Vernon,   Are you asking for photos of My SQ2000 or the one that is in the San Diego area? The plane is Based at the Gillespie airport in San Diego. I do not have any photos of that aircraft. 

Kevin,

I was asking for pictures of your SQ2000.  I've seen pictures of the plane in San Diego built by Dave Hanson.  Based on the discussions on this forum and the pictures, there are several issues with that plane.  I find it interesting to see the differences individuals put into their planes.  Some are really good ideas and others learning experiences on things to avoid.

Thanks.