tfulwider

Practice Kit - glassing the small wing section

I'm going to ask what is probably a simple question to any of the builders out there but I'm stumped.  I have my wing section hot wired and prepped for glassing, but there's one area that concerns me.  I know you're supposed to scissor trim the glass that overhangs after you've wet it out and then knife trim flush to the foam part way through the cure.  I also know that you're supposed to put duct tape halfway down the leading edge so you don't get slurry or epoxy on the top portion to be covered later.  What I don't understand is how you trim up that leading edge.  I'm assuming you knife trim part way through the cure so the weight of the hanging fiberglass holds the layup in place.  But when you knife trim, how do you keep from cutting into the foam core?  

Let the layup overhang get partly cured but still flexible.  It can be easily cut with a sharp box-cutter or razor knife.   It won’t hurt to cut into the foam a bit—no way to avoid it.   After it hardens, smooth the rough edge with a sanding block.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Ok, that makes sense. I was worried that nicking the foam core at the leading edge would be a big no no. Thanks Kent!