H-250 Foam

TDubs74

Fun, fun, fun right off the bat.  The EZ calls for a few sheets of H-250 foam.  ACS no longer supplies this, and has no recommended substitute.  My question is do you all know of a sub I could use.  Last- a foam is listed at ACS in the correct thickness.  The plans call for 16 cubic foot pounds.  This shows 18.  Does anyone have experience with it, or think it's a good substitute?

I have looked for other suppliers non- aviation related, and have still come up short.  I suppose I could contact the group that makes the Divinicell directly, but at looking for options in case its a phased out product.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

I couldn't get the 250 either. I did some research and determined that 200kg/m2 PVC should be adequate, so that is what I used. Near substitution is a necessity sometimes when you live half the world away from the usual suppliers, but it is 'at your own risk'.

• Like 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

Just got off the phone with a sales rep at Diab, the group that makes Divinycell. I can order direct from them. Price will probably beat out ACS. If that is the case I may order all the PVC foam from them.

He is putting me in touch with the local sales rep tomorrow, so I will let you know what I find out. Good news is, I don't have to spend a month researching foam!

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

4 hours ago, TDubs74 said:

Just got off the phone with a sales rep at Diab, the group that makes Divinycell. I can order direct from them.

Will they cut it to the thicknesses required by the plans?

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

9 hours ago, macleodm3 said:

Will they cut it to the thicknesses required by the plans?

Yes.  They said they cut it to thickness, and that the .2" was not a problem.

6 hours ago, jridge said:

The offer bulk discounts?  I'm gearing up to start a Long EZ soon too and I'll need the same stuff.

Jeff

He said he could get me OEM pricing which beats out Spruce.  Did not discuss any bulk discounts.  As I said if the price is good enough, I will just order all PVC foam from them.  Don't know if that would be considered bulk in their eyes.  I will let you know what I find after I talk with the local sales rep.

• Thanks 1

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jridge said:

Did you hear anything back from this supplier?

I heard back from the national guy, but not the regional sales guy.  Sent him another email.  I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Tim W.

Ok.  Got the breakdown.  You can only get it in sheets that are 14.1 sq feet.  You only need 6.7 sq ft per the plans.  The cost per sheet is $280.17 plus a $55 broken carton fee, due to the fact that there are 50 sheets per carton.  SO in short 335.17 for the one sheet.

In response to the bulk buy question, that would be the full carton, that even with a discount would be over 12 grand for the purchase.  Do not see any sort of ROI there if the only people needing .2 h-250 are the ones building Long Ez's.  And at 1 sheet per build, that's a lot of new builds needed.  

In short it is one expensive piece of foam without shipping so don't forget to factor that in.  

• Thanks 1

Tim W.

21 minutes ago, sixfivelrp said:

See CP 26 page 3 for confidence in the alternate material and save hassle and money. 

At first i was against the idea of the plywood due to added weight, but I am seriously reconsidering that thought.  I think the white foam they were referring to was Clark foam??  If it was, I don't think that's around anymore either.  Don't quote me on that though.

Tim W.

1 hour ago, TDubs74 said:

At first i was against the idea of the plywood due to added weight, but I am seriously reconsidering that thought.  I think the white foam they were referring to was Clark foam??  If it was, I don't think that's around anymore either.  Don't quote me on that though.

You guys are wasting an awful lot of time and effort on this. Just use P/N 01-14400 Last-A-Foam from ACS for the bulkheads in question (IP and a couple others) and call it a day. Cheaper and available without any special ordering.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

You guys are wasting an awful lot of time and effort on this. Just use P/N 01-14400 Last-A-Foam from ACS for the bulkheads in question (IP and a couple others) and call it a day. Cheaper and available without any special ordering.

Sorry Marc.  I'm bored.  Lol.  I mentioned Last-A-Foam 10 replies ago.  Where the heck were you then?!  Lol

• Haha 1

Tim W.

2 hours ago, TDubs74 said:

Sorry Marc.  I'm bored.  Lol.  I mentioned Last-A-Foam 10 replies ago.  Where the heck were you then?!  Lol

I figured that since you knew that COZY's were using it, and mentioned that, that the solution was clear. I didn't think it was necessary to point out that if 800 COZY's had been built with something, it was probably OK to use.

• Like 2

Here's ACS' product page for Last-a-Foam: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/lastafoam.php

As mentioned, substitutes can also work but this stuff is ideal. It's light and very easy to work with.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

12 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

I figured that since you knew that COZY's were using it, and mentioned that, that the solution was clear. I didn't think it was necessary to point out that if 800 COZY's had been built with something, it was probably OK to use.

I can only blame my case of "1st time builder overthinkitous". Lol

Last-A-foam it shall be. And many thanks too. 

Edited by TDubs74
  • Haha 1

Tim W.

7 hours ago, Jon Matcho said:

Here's ACS' product page for Last-a-Foam: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/lastafoam.php

As mentioned, substitutes can also work but this stuff is ideal. It's light and very easy to work with.

Many thanks to you too!

Tim W.