Smooth Operator

Royal

On 11/19/2022 at 1:19 PM, Chris007 said:

I have bumped into this website from time to time over many years. But circumstances always have conspired to keep my own EZ dream from becoming reality. This thread has inspired me. Combined, we have more than enough knowledge and skills to create an EZ for the 21st century. If someone with good CAD skills will work with me, I will build it. The original design was revolutionary, a generation ago. Yes, it is that old. We can design something, sleeker, sexier, lighter, and more efficient, and most importantly, reduce the build time by an entire magnitude. Making a kit as simple to assemble as an Airfix. Gone will be the days, years, of being the third, fourth owner of a partially built kit, with still no end in sight. I am aiming for a 200, not 2,000 hour build time. A 50% weight reduction, and a 2,000 mile range, with a 80hp class engine. Thats all very achievable. I will build the prototype. Once that is flight proven, I would crowdfund to create moulds and mass produce. I just need the design put into CAD. Who wants to do that? 

Rutan is brilliant enough to have done this if it was at all possible. Why would anyone want 2000 mile range? 80hp is not going to propel it all that fast, so that is optimistically 12 hours flying. I would need a comfort/rest/coffee stop about 6 hours into the flight, and I am really good at long trips. The e-Go project got tooled up with a light single seat canard. It cost about the same as two very well built, well equipped Long EZs.

Edited by Justin
'forgot something