Voidhawk9

Cameron's Not-Quite-So-Cozy Project

I have a website to record my build progress over at www.canardspeed.com, but it is woefully out of date. So I figured I might post here from time to time. I might get some useful feedback to boot!
I am building from Aerocanard plans, but with a few modifications that will mean it will not be called an Aerocanard or a Cozy when complete. You'll probably notice a few differences as we go along! Most notably so far, the fuselage is 6" wider at the front seatback, smoothly tapering to standard Aerocanard FG width at the firewall (a bit wider than a Cozy) and intersecting the standard nose profile at around F-10 forward.

Today was plane day, though I had some stuff to do that meant I didn't use the whole day. 

The task was to fabricate and install the outboard seatbelt reinforcements. As you'll see, I have twice as many as per-plans (I know, I know, they came back down when I threw them up in the air!). The reason for the extras further forward in the front seat is in case Beagle ever flies with me so that he can sit far enough forward to reach the panel because I will be installing 6-point harnesses in the front seats. The extras in the back seat area are for securing heavy items in this area, such as auxiliary fuel tanks for trans-oceanic operations (which are more likely to be used when one is located on an island in the South Pacific!).

The ply inserts came out nicely, and were easier to make than I first anticipated. Almost a shame to cover them up with so much glass!

ply_inserts.thumb.jpg.d33b66be6173d7a378c204306049d711.jpg

Floxed into the front seat-area. Pressing them into place, the excess flox squeezed out and the inserts became satisfyingly rigid in their locations.

front_floxed.thumb.jpg.6b085be1943bb50e2bda2af05f2d291c.jpg

Rear hardpoints glassed and peel-plied.

rear_glassed.thumb.jpg.96291378b0f4d3477d0f1dde028e5d1d.jpg

The yellow area on the floor is where I used a ply of aramid in place of the extra BID in this area when building the floor. I just 'happened' to have some around...

The white along the edges of some of the tapes joining the floor to the fuselage is a result of being unexpectedly interrupted before I could peel-ply those tapes. That certainly added a lot of time to the build as I dealt with all those tape edges! And a few bloodied fingers (all mine) along the way too.

So I've left it now to cure. Almost done with the fuselage tub!

Edited by Voidhawk9

Good.  I see that Canardspeed.com has disappeared anyway.  The work looks good.  Interested in see more.

People have no idea how many little beautiful parts go in to and get buried in one of these birds.... good job on the seatbelt parts!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 1:12 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Good.  I see that Canardspeed.com has disappeared anyway.  The work looks good.  Interested in see more.

Then I shall share more. :)
Glad the site is down -  my host decided to move all sites to another provider that was worse and did not honour the original terms (or everything that was paid for), so I've let both my sites expire. Curiously the other one is still up! I'll be re-launching on a new host when I get a round tuit (anyone have plans for making these?).

On 9/28/2018 at 2:41 AM, macleodm3 said:

People have no idea how many little beautiful parts go in to and get buried in one of these birds.... good job on the seatbelt parts!

So true. And thanks for the feedback, they came out nicely. 
I know it has been said plenty of times before, but I really do look at the project as a long series of small parts, and I enjoy building each one. I swear, after spending an hour or so in my workshop, I am more energized and motivated to get back to whatever else I need to do (like making a living!).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Voidhawk9 said:

I swear, after spending an hour or so in my workshop, I am more energized and motivated to get back to whatever else I need to do (like making a living!).

Totally agree....   Truly enjoy building this project... wonder whats next?