Per Klaus - he let me know that this bump out is a Rutan suggestion of LE Cuff.  He said most builders put them on after wing build - and can be cut off and replaced with the LE Vortilons.  I will also go with the TE vortilons as I feel that makes sense...   Couple more things for the "to do" list....  (thank you Klaus!)

Thanks Marc.  I have the 109 copies of CP that I am reading thru - I am also glad for any feedback for things people see that I NEED to address and the can flag everything to get a good plan in place.

In this example - I would be reading thru - and find "drooping leading edge"  is recommended... in an early CP edition,  then later on "LE  vortilons" trump that solution (for reasons of weight, performance, build effort, etc....)  - which might not have been determined until edition, say 89 or so...   

I leverage the strength of those who have come before and higher precision slide rule..... ;-)

Finally a non rainy day to fit the wings and see what the "big picture" looks like.   I think the builder might have took liberties to make this for slower flying - the wing attach points look odd - maybe in one of the boxes is a mod to sweep the wings back like a tomcat in flight?  (or maybe I need another cup of coffee....)

Odd wings on varieze.jpg

Odd wings on varieze2.jpg

Odd wings on varieze3.jpg

Went to see Mike's plane today.  It all looks easily repairable although there is lots to repair.  Mike peeled some of the UNI off the MLG hoop and the hoop looked fine.; just needs the wraps redone, I expect.  However strange to me that the extra UNI on the hoop was strips of UNI laid lengthwise  down the hoop.  That's different from the EZ/Cozy where the UNI is wrapped around the hoop.  http://www.aryjglantz.com/2013/10/outside-strut-layup.html.     The wing attach parts looked like they had been hangared.  Now if he can only establish chain-of-title . . .  🙂

• Like 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Thanks for the visit and the look over Kent!  It is good to have many eyes on it looking at everything.  I remember people talking at RR about MLG layup schedule changed (article in either CP or CSA - but I thought it was only about additional layers to help prevent splaying when near gross. 

As you were walking around - the list I made was only a half page.  I am certain once those are addressed - I will invite you down for further scrutiny - and buy you lunch at least! 

There are probably 1000 things that I would LIKE to make better - but my goal right now is to get it back in the air THEN start making is _my_ airplane....

Agree - closing the paper trail and getting "good" with FAA is going to be very important!

Thanks Ron - I was up to CP 10  reading thru it (all).  I recall something much later increasing 2 more layers (or more? each way due to the springy feeling and splaying when heavily loaded...

I appreciate you finding this!  I think it will be my next project.

Plane is doing the "cockroach"...   Thanks Ken Larson and Alex Becker! 

They also pointed out several good things (additional to what Kent Ashton and others have on my _list_). 

Looks like canard elevator was MUCH too heavy. (note additional counterweight!).  I was going to pull and balance all control surfaces - this is the only spot where I see "extra".   On the plane the ailerons seem to be about right - but testing off is more correct.  

replace the standard pins with teflon sleave and pins.

rudders did not seem to have a bend at the bottom - but it turns out - they are mushroomed and only bent at the top.  Alex said many people are using short pins - and using roll pin keepers.  I like that idea - but do not want to make mods that slow down first re-flight.  All that can be done later - AFTER it flys again!

Antenna wire was not RG59 (think) - but will need to test all my antenna - have a local member that has a meter.  Too soon to plan the panel - but thinking about not putting in the Loran-C... (prob simple 6 pack and ipad) - K.I.S.S.

Gear feel very solid - but to rewrap them - I gots ta cut the belly!  Putting the lines down and checking it 100 times.  do not want to cut the gear - nor the bulkhead - do not plan on deep plunging the saw (vibra saw).

Stay tuned - much more fun to come!

thumbnail_Image-19.png

thumbnail_Image-22.png

thumbnail_Image-23.jpg