Jon Matcho

Found a Velocity V-Twin in my backyard!

When running a weekend errand a while ago, I decided to take a quick detour to visit the local airport.  I don't know anyone at this airport beyond a flight instructor, but it's always nice to sit for a while and watch airplanes.

On my way out I passed a lone hangar that I'd never seen open before.  Out of the corner of my eye I thought I recognized the telltale signs of the back-end of a canard aircraft (two vertical stabilizers, pusher prop in the back, etc.)  I circled back and sure enough it was a canard, but this canard was different.  It had two engines in the back!

Feeling like a local airport bum, I got out of my car and introduced myself to the gentleman working on the aircraft.  It turns out that it's one of the first -- if not the first -- customer-built and flying Velocity V-Twin.  We talked canards for a while, I found out he was a local mayor, and then I had to leave him to it before I wore out my welcome.

It's amazing to me that this plan is (a) on this airport that I thought was a bit too short for canards, and (b) just 6 minutes from my house!

post-126731-0-04578800-1498062726_thumb.jpg

post-126731-0-00786600-1498062728_thumb.jpg

post-126731-0-04822300-1498062730_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty airplane. Wonder how many are flying...

Wonder how many are flying...

Four (as near as I can tell.)

• N52VT
  • N91VT
  • N169VT
  • N22EU

Thanks. Might be a bit pricey for me...

Thanks. Might be a bit pricey for me...

Same here, that's why I chose a Cozy Mark IV for a 4-place / 2-place w/baggage.  Ante is $500 for plans.  Change your mind a year later and you can sell them for $350.

The single-fin Twin Velo didn't appeal to me visually at first, but it's growing on me... not that I have any intention of ever owning one. :) Still, a sweet aircraft.

Seen one at OSH last year, they are great looking aircraft! Not sure I could justify the $$$ though. 

Nice and tidy. Don't want one. :) 

N22EU  flew overhead about 1 hr.  ago. Hdg SSE at 3600'   175 kts ...flightaware showed Morristown NJ  to Mt  Pocono PA and return.  what a treat.   Have never seen a canard fly over my location in Tannersville PA.

That was a fast and low trip, actually from SMQ (Bedminster, NJ) a short ride from my house.

This past weekend I saw a canard go overhead but when I ran in to check Flightaware I could not find it.

5 hours ago, Steve Minion said:

Have never seen a canard fly over my location in Tannersville PA.

I love hearing that unique sound and getting confirmation when I see it above.  The Piaggio Avanti 180 makes a similar sound and is just as beautiful.