Winglet Rudders?

eldermc42

Does anyone know if winglet rudders on a Defiant were "standard issue" in later issues of the CP's?  I've found reference to them in several places on the net, but wonder 1) if they are effective, 2) if it was a standard RAF modification at a later date and 3) if there are flying examples with documented changes.

I get the impression, from my relative newness to the whole thing, that the Defiant came before the Long (at least the original one), and wonder if Mr. Rutan ever opted for the winglet style design in later years.  I'm not questioning the effectiveness of the "rhino" system - just wondering about alternatives... 

Let the education begin....

Best Regards,

Matt

Matt Elder

North, SC

Does anyone know if winglet rudders on a Defiant were "standard issue" in later issues of the CP's?  I've found reference to them in several places on the net, but wonder 1) if they are effective, 2) if it was a standard RAF modification at a later date and 3) if there are flying examples with documented changes.

I'm not sure which came first, but the rare Defiant builders and flyers congregate on this mailing list:  http://www.canardzone.com/forum/forum/406-defiant-flyers-mailing-list-feed-read-only/ 

I get the impression, from my relative newness to the whole thing, that the Defiant came before the Long (at least the original one), and wonder if Mr. Rutan ever opted for the winglet style design in later years.  I'm not questioning the effectiveness of the "rhino" system - just wondering about alternatives... 

My understanding is that the Long-EZ came first.  I recall discussion of this topic on the Defiant Flyers mailing list, but not the answer.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV