Kent Ashton

Sales I've seen

On 9/11/2021 at 9:17 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Squirrelly ad.  "Veri eze" vs VariEze.  Advertised as a 1995 but the registration info says 1980.

On 9/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, Rainey said:

When I clicked on that ad, it took me to a very convincing website that looked like Ebay secret question page.

*** WARNING LIGHT ON ***

On 9/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, Ratdog said:

The bid is going up fast on that Varieze .

Also notice the "Driven NaN miles"... "NaN" is what many computers report when a numerical value is not recognizable ("not a number"). That gives me pause, but none more substantial than the phishing scheme @Rainey reports. Stay away!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder/Administrator
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

13 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Easy project/ restoration.

🤣

Builder/Administrator

This EZ today.  No pics and a seller of few words.  Seems to be N5099C though.    https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberResult?NNumberTxt=5099C

LONG EZ • FOR SALE BY OWNER • Long EZ White Best offer • Contact Bob Rinker - STYC , Owner - located Seattle, WA United States Telephone: 2063966110 • Posted September 12, 2021

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

39 minutes ago, Jon Matcho said:

*** WARNING LIGHT ON ***

Also notice the "Driven NaN miles"... "NaN" is what many computers report when a numerical value is not recognizable ("not a number"). That gives me pause, but none more substantial than the phishing scheme @Rainey reports. Stay away!

The seller has posted responses on a canard FB page so it's a genuine ad but he is pretty nasty with his replies.

-Kent

I've noticed that most airplane "for sale" postings on FB have NaN miles, so it doesn't raise any red flags for me.

53 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

This EZ today.  No pics and a seller of few words.  Seems to be N5099C though.    https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberResult?NNumberTxt=5099C

A google image search for the N-number led me to this page, which has some photos of what looks to be the same plane:

https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/18128355/1987-rutan-long-e-z

1 hour ago, Kent Ashton said:

The seller has posted responses on a canard FB page so it's a genuine ad but he is pretty nasty with his replies.

Thanks... I tracked down that group and page and found the ad to be legit. The "NaN" (not a number) business is likely just a minor bug in Facebook itself.

@Rainey, regarding your fake eBay page, you may have malware or other bad stuff on your computer/device (virus?). I tried all the links in these posts and found nothing out of the ordinary. I was brought to the eBay listing just fine. Try doing the same steps on another machine to see if your results are different. Whatever the cause, someone or some thing is trying to collect your password for their own use.

Builder/Administrator

After The N number checked out, I reached out to ebay. Turns out the password reset they sent my was legit. 

I get hit with phishing all the time, so Im pretty wary. 

peace,

Rainey

• Like 1

This Cozy from one of the early MK-IV builders.  No price.  I'll be interested to see what it goes for

COZY MKIV • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • 1000+ flying hours (last annual 9/2021). Special upgrades. Lyc O-360 with Lightspeed Plasma II EI. Bendix FI. Catto 3-blade. Dynon Skyview EFIS and GRT Mini X . Dynon D120 EMS. SL30 radio. GTX 325 xponder. Skyguard ADSB in/out. Strong pitch trim. Steve Wright nose lift. Matco brakes and wheels. Todd Silver canopy. Aircraft support equipment included (drill press, air compressor, original plans, equipment manuals, misc nuts + bolts, MGS 335 epoxy system w/pump, etc.). Will fly east of the Mississippi for inspection ( give me a call). Always hangared, based in Louisville KY. • Contact Al Sweeny , Owner - located Louisville, KY United States Telephone: 502-314-2483 • Posted September 13, 2021

medium_image_1642515_1_1614633227.jpeg

medium_image_1642515_3_1614703418.jpeg

-Kent

2 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

This Cozy from one of the early MK-IV builders.  No price.  I'll be interested to see what it goes for

It will be. I did a Pre-Buy on it for a prospective buyer in July - they did not purchase it. Although I flew in the plane and it was safe, there was a fairly long list of issues to be addressed, not the least of which involved the state of the engine. At the time, the price was far too high for what it was.

• Like 1

His price, $4500, seems pretty fair to me.   Just consider the 1000 hours of labor to get to that stage and probably $8K+ in materials.   It.s a bargain at the price, IMO.  I paid $2k for a tub and some foam many years ago.    I think I would’ve asked $6500 or more

-Kent

Sale "Pending" on this Vari at $2500.  127 hours so it was flying but no engine.  Now there's a Picasso-on-the-curb!  I think I would've asked $6-8K

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.52.14 AM.png

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Yup, Vari just above marked "sold".  Interesting that it appeared to have the old RAF-recommended black carbon-rich UV primer to which paint did not stick very well.  I had my own experience with that and it likely means a strip-down, refill, refinish, and repaint.  Lots of work.  I wonder if the buyer knew that.  Surprise!  😞

-Kent

What about fillers i know some were filled with bondo which doesn't hold up very well . How can you tell if bondo was used and is the only cure to sand it off . 

20 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

Yup, Vari just above marked "sold".  Interesting that it appeared to have the old RAF-recommended black carbon-rich UV primer to which paint did not stick very well.  I had my own experience with that and it likely means a strip-down, refill, refinish, and repaint.  Lots of work.  I wonder if the buyer knew that.  Surprise!  😞

8 hours ago, Ratdog said:

How can you tell if bondo was used and is the only cure to sand it off .

Bondo is heavy but I would not be alarmed by a little of it.  Certainly wouldn't want to use it for extensive filling though.  I don't know any good way to check.  Most guys stick to epoxy+micro or West (epoxy) and West 410 Microlite.   https://www.westsystem.com/the-105-system/fillers/

The West filler is very expensive in the small containers.  Best to buy it in a 4 lb box.   

-Kent

In addition to being heavy Bondo also shrinks.  IMHO it's unacceptable except for perhaps pinhole filling.

Recently I've been using the 635 Thin Epoxy Resin System from uscomposites.com.  Combined with micro-balloons it sands like the West Systems epoxy but is much less expensive.

12 hours ago, slk23 said:

Recently I've been using the 635 Thin Epoxy Resin System from uscomposites.com.

I assume you're using this for fill only? Just so others reading this are aware, there are only a few epoxy systems suitable for structural usage. This 635 system is UScomposites.com's own, and there's no information available regarding its mechanicals to compare against the other epoxy systems that are used, and it's an unproven system in terms. @slk23 you may be the first.

All I could find on it is that UScomposites.com does say that it's for structural use (boats, kayaks?) and this MSDS sheet.

Builder/Administrator

3 hours ago, Jon Matcho said:

I assume you're using this for fill only? Just so others reading this are aware, there are only a few epoxy systems suitable for structural usage. This 635 system is UScomposites.com's own, and there's no information available regarding its mechanicals to compare against the other epoxy systems that are used, and it's an unproven system in terms. @slk23 you may be the first.

All I could find on it is that UScomposites.com does say that it's for structural use (boats, kayaks?) and this MSDS sheet.

Jon,

I was replying to the two posts just preceding mine which discussed fillers. I also specifically referred to using the UScomposites epoxy with micro-balloons. I think the context was clear. 

For purposes other than filling/contouring I always use E-Z Poxy. 

Can we keep this thread about ****Sales I've (You've) Seen****?  Yeah, I am guilty of violating my own request once in a while but let's put the random building questions and the like in their own thread.  Please make your replies about buying/selling or a specific airplane.  🙂

-Kent

20 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

Bondo is heavy but I would not be alarmed by a little of it.  Certainly wouldn't want to use it for extensive filling though.  I don't know any good way to check.  Most guys stick to epoxy+micro or West (epoxy) and West 410 Microlite.   https://www.westsystem.com/the-105-system/fillers/

The West filler is very expensive in the small containers.  Best to buy it in a 4 lb box.