Sales I've seen

4 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

More on the Varieze above:  It turns out that the N-Number is apparently N67EZ HazelRigg Very Ezy built by TJ HazelRigg and was a flier, last owned by Tony Warnock.  It is in the Registry partially registered to the Seller   https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/Search/NNumberResult?nNumberTxt=67EZ       The seller apparently has good title,  so if the buyer can retrieve a copy of the old A.C. from the registry, it should be pretty straightforward to get this flying again (except a pile of work to do).  The ad said "Sold" when I looked this morning but now it doesn't so I guess it's available.

Edit:  Well, I am confused.  I see that a replacement A.C. can be issued with an "R" per the Order below but it must reflect the same data as the lost, mutilated or illegible old certificate.  Per para 3 below the FAA can issue a replacement A.C. if the date of issuance of the old A.C. can be established.   The FSDO wants to find the old A.C. information in the FAA's records to confirm the information but for N67EZ, but I do not see any A.C. date in the record and I've been told the FSDO consults the same database.   It WAS a flyer so it HAD an A.C. in the past but the FAA purges it's records periodically.  If the record has been purged, can it be retrieved?  The National Archives says yes but I tried this for a friend and we never found anything.  I would think a FSDO would not want to reissue an A.C. without any info from the old A.C.  Also, I do not think the FAA wants to issue a brand new A.C. for an airplane that once had an A.C.  Maybe this is why this airframe is not selling.

Copied from FAA Order 8130.2F   https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/8130.2F Chg 5.pdf

https://m.cafe.daum.net/worldcampingcar/CmXy/15?svc=cafeapi

18 hours ago, EmptyBox said:

FlightAware believes "Very Ezy" N67EZ has an airworthiness date of 4/16/1980 (https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N67EZ). Probably not the right source for the FAA, but if FlightAware found something then I'd think that increases the chance of an official source having the info somewhere.

Yup but I wouldn't rely on a call to the FSDO or the Registry to confirm that.  I think they just look at the same online database we all see.  It might be worthwhile to pay the $10 (or whatever) and get a printed copy of the records.  Anyway, it appears this one could be re-licensed without much trouble.  For future reference, here is the Flightaware page.  Might come in handy.  That airplane went through a lot of hands!

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 10.43.14 AM.png

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Project today:

VARI EZ • $1,200 • PROJECT FOR SALE • Vari EZ project fuselage wings and landing gear done. New Cleavland wheels & brakes hangered at O61 • Contact Phil Albee - ALBEE AVIATION , Friend of Owner - located Cameron Park, CA United States Telephone: 530 320 6758 • Posted January 29, 2022

-Kent

I can attest to the FAA does not care if the plane shows a flight... That in their mind is just a plane that flew illegally (without an AC).  I have a plane that has been flying and bought and sold 7 times.  I have flight aware "registration" of to/from many times... FAA said this does NOT indicate AC was ever on the aircraft.  I even attempted to use logic (yeah, wasting my time in bureaucracy) asking if they REALLY thought at least 5 pilots flew this plane WITHOUT AC?!?   Their stance is firm:  If we do not have it in OUR records - IT DOES NOT EXIST.   

So I have to go thru the AC application and efforts before I fly this plane.

2 hours ago, mquinn6 said:

I can attest to the FAA does not care if the plane shows a flight... That in their mind is just a plane that flew illegally (without an AC).  I have a plane that has been flying and bought and sold 7 times.  I have flight aware "registration" of to/from many times... FAA said this does NOT indicate AC was ever on the aircraft.  I even attempted to use logic (yeah, wasting my time in bureaucracy) asking if they REALLY thought at least 5 pilots flew this plane WITHOUT AC?!?   Their stance is firm:  If we do not have it in OUR records - IT DOES NOT EXIST.  

Wait a minute Mike.  What proof do you or the FAA have that your airplane ever flew; and I mean _proof_ and not just somebody telling you it flew.  We have established that there is no A.C. in the FAA's records.  That supports a conclusion that the airplane never flew.  Who can prove otherwise?

-Kent

@Kent 

"Proof" was same as @EmptyBox posted above about "Flight Aware" and showing between different cities with flight characteristics of a VariEze.   To me - this could have been spoofed by someone putting the transponder in another similar speed plane and making the trip(s).  But when I presented _this_ proof to FAA - they said "Just because it has flown - does not constitute that FAA has ever issued a CA"  and they went on to say they know MANY planes (espectially away from major cities pef FAA statements).  (of course the flight I showed them was from 2 major cities....).   Bottom line - if FAA does NOT have CA in their records - the plane does not have a CA!  (I have heard of one person buying a plane and seeing "the" AC - but was a doctored document that he found out AFTER the sale!).  

So ladies and germs, part of pre-buy should be a complete review of what records FAA has on file - you can get an uncertified version of them pretty cheap.  It matters not (in FAA eyes) what log books say or what "paperwork" has in the airplane - if they do not have it - plane does not have it.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I paid the $8.60 and ordered the records on this "Very EZ" from the registry.  There are 49 people watching the Ebay ad.  Heck I would buy it myself if I didn't have bikes, cars and airplanes to work on.  What amazes me is that the seller is too feckless to document the airplane properly himself.   News at 11.

-Kent

Just got this reply from the Registry in OK  City to my email question (not my formal request for records):

I asked  :Re: Reissuing old airworthiness certificate:  Order 8130.2F Sec. 27(3) says that a lost A.C. can be reissued if the date of issue of the missing A.C. can be established but I have found that this date is missing from the records for a few aircraft that were flying and formerly had A.C.s.  Take for example N67EZ, the current seller does not have the A.C. (it was held/destroyed by a previous owner).  There is no A/W date in the database so the FSDO will not reissue the A.C.  Can you shed any light on this?  Thx"

Registry replied: "   Mr. Ashton,   Any airworthiness inquiries must be directed to your local FSDO."

But I know from experience what our local FSDO will say: "No A.C., no record of an A.C. in the online database, No-can-do"

-Kent

[EDIT:   SOLD! ]    1999 VELOCITY SE FG LOOK! • $109,000 • AVAILABLE • 99' Velocity, nearly total restoration, 939TT, 145SMOH, 200HP, new catto prop, completely new gear, new avionics, new wiring, new paint, new brakes, PROVEN airframe, a must see aircraft. Not the cheapest, though for a reason. It has had hundreds of hours of work by licensed A&P in the last 3 months. Must see. Too much else to list. View SPEC sheet, click on it in this ad. CONSIDER TRADES for certified twins up/down in value. Duke, 421, 414, baron, navajo, etc.
thumbnail_image_1715946_1_1643583657.jpeg?6379 thumbnail_image_1715946_2_1643583658.jpeg?1822 thumbnail_image_1715946_3_1643583659.jpeg?2476 thumbnail_image_1715946_4_1643583659.jpeg?7413 thumbnail_image_1715946_5_1643583660.jpeg?5540

Edited by Kent Ashton

Really good price on this Sonerai II (just down the road from me).  [ Must.  Resist.  Another.  Airplane.]   Actually the thought of having to work through an A&P on the condition inspection every year is what puts me off.  Love to try this one out though.  I have lost 18 lbs on my low-carb-high-fat diet.  PM me if you want to discuss your statins

SONERAI 2 • FOR SALE • 2014 Sonerai 2 fo sale. 220 TTAF 280 TTEngine superflight fabric system, AW issued september 2014, Revmaster 2100 D engine , dual bendix mags, starter , alternator . Will be sold with fresh condition inspection. Locate KAFP north carolina . I have an RV 6 so I dont need this plane. $10,000 • Contact Charles Caddell , Owner - located Wadesboro, NC United States Telephone: 704-465-8695 • Posted February 2, 2022

Regarding the Very Eze we have been discussing: the listing ended today with no indication it sold.

medium_image_1716421_3_1643847680.jpeg

medium_image_1716421_2_1643847678.jpeg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Seen today, Barnstormers.  More pics in the ad

LONG EZ • $15,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Long EZ project for sale. Started in the early 90s and stored inside for its entire life. The AIRFRAME is complete and partially finished. Includes completed wings, winglets, strakes, fuel tanks, canopy, and flight controls. The ENGINE is available for sale but not included in this sale. Engine is an 1800 hour O-320 E2D (150 HP) with logbook since new. The PROPELLER is a Silver Bullet with ~100 hours since new. There are no avionics or electrical system. This is a great start and will make an incredible airplane. Asking $15,000 with engine and propeller or $9,000 without engine and propeller. • Contact Paul Centinaro , Owner - located Lonoke, AR United States Telephone: 5013100434 • Posted February 3, 2022

medium_image_1716765_2_1643929608.jpeg

medium_image_1716765_8_1643929602.jpeg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

On 1/31/2022 at 7:10 AM, BigD said:

a question if you buy a mostly complete kit and finish it can you get certificate so you can annual it if you have build logs or pics from previous builder

Hmmm, this question did not pop up in the queue but . . ..  You have to satisfy the inspector that you know enough about the project to grant you a repairman's certificate.  Is is very subjective for the inspector.  If you have taken pics and documented the work you do, I believe most inspectors (FAA/DAR) will not quibble about it.  It is always good to investigate your DAR and see what his experience is.  There are very hard-nosed types and others who are very cooperative.  I have always (three times) gotten good cooperation from my local FSDO but they are not all that way.  Generally, it appears to me that if you finish a mostly-completed kit, you can get a Repairman's Certificate.  They are concerned about "professional building", i.e. building for hire but they know kits get passed around at different stages of construction.  They just want to assure that "51% is built by amateurs for their education and recreation".  It is not a hard hurdle to pass.  🙂

Edit: just to be clear, better to call this the "major portion" rule.  See 14 CFR 21.191(g)     "[A]n aircraft the major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by persons who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation."   https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/21.191      and note that it has nothing to do with getting a repairman certificate.  The major portion rule only covers what can be granted an Experimental Airworthiness certificate

I have heard of the FAA investigating professional builders and possibly denying AWCs but I have never heard of them denying an AWC otherwise--not to say it's never happened.   They seem to want to inspect kit-airplanes for major-portion compliance but plans-built airplanes,  psssch.

EAA has a pretty good discussion   https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/BuilderResources/getting-started/the-51-percent-rule

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

This today, Barnstormers.  Just thinking how you would price this airplane with an empty panel.  That is probably the way to think about it.    N89RJ

VARIEZE WITH O-200A • $22,500 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • 60 hrs TT, Hi compression O-200A 160 TSOH, GTR 200 Com, GTX 327 Xpdr, GDL 82 ADS-B out. Hertzler Silver Bullet Prop. LED Nav and Strobe lights, Landing Light. a • Contact Gerald Bowman , Owner - located Santaquin, UT United States Telephone: 8013671987 • Posted February 4, 2022

medium_image_1716987_1_1644036746.jpeg

medium_image_1716987_6_1644036747.jpeg

-Kent

3 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

No attitude indicator on the $22,000 L-EZ?  Is that plane missing something, or am I?

Well recall that Burt’s idea was that you would carry a hand-held radio, turn it off when you got in the air, and fly VFR everywhere, turn it on when needed.   This airplane has a built in radio you can leave on the entire flight!   🙂

And, hey, those attitude thingys are expensive!

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

12 hours ago, Ian Ashdown said:

I contacted the seller with several questions. They don't know anything about the plane and said it's a lien sale. 

I've asked if the lien is recorded, waiting on a response. Sounds like a hot mess of liability. 

16 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

So, with no logbooks for anything, would there be issues with getting an airworthiness certificate, registration, repairman's certificate, etc?

If your speaking about the dragonfly, I would think the airworthiness wouldn't be a problem, it is in their records. I don't know, but I suspect registration may be impossible as the FAA seems to show it belonging to the builder and that is not the seller. 

The seller never responded to whether the lien is recorded, so I suspect the answer is no. 

I was very interested until interacting with the seller. 

I would like to hear some more opinions from the guys that know more than me, confirming or correcting. 

Edited by Midengineracer
Spelling

2 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

So, with no logbooks for anything, would there be issues with getting an airworthiness certificate, registration, repairman's certificate, etc?

No need to have the old logbooks--just start new ones and overhaul as necessary.  The AWC date is in the FAA records (N122BB, pic) so it could be reissued following an inspection.  It appears owner Boydston died in 2010  http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Robert-W.-Boydston-88681516   and this airplane might have gifted to an EAA Chapter.  If the chapter got a bill-of-sale or equivalent from whomever disposed of it--and that person had the right to dispose of it--that might satisfy the FAA.  It's a pig-in-a-poke but if Boydston's heirs received it through probate, they could legally dispose of the airplane but you would probably have to have a probate record and a bill-of-sale from the heirs to you, the buyer, or to the EAA chapter and then to you.    Know in Boydston's in Sedona?   🙂   It is unlikely you would get a repairman's certificate if one was ever issued before.  If not it might be possible, depending on the inspector/DAR.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 3.39.18 PM.png

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

If you happen to be looking to buy a shiny new Berkut, AeroVehicles indicates that they are in a "position" to start producing them.

BERKUT ISR

AeroVehicles is in a position to start producing the Berkut ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance) with its designer Dave Ronneberg.

Our Product

image.thumb.png.c5e86272eb3aa9036234eca319957b98.png

The Berkut is a tandem two-seater aircraft built primarily of composite materials, with more than 20 years in the skies, and Aerovehicles offers it in three different versions:

Here is their website: https://aerovehicles.net/berkut-isr/

Today's Barnstormers.  No pics.

LONG-EZ • $25,000 • PRICED FOR FAST SALE • 1992 Long-EZ - Lycoming O-320 w/elec ignition. EZ-nose lift. Stratus ADS-B in/out w/backup AHRS. Baggage pods. 3 newer cylinders. Digital Altimeter, digital oil pressure/temp. Engine monitor with RPM/V/CHT/EGTs. Upgraded Quad exhaust, Catto 3 blade prop&spinner. Unfinished wheel pants,original rutan plans. Also includes various tools and parts,like extra wheels,brakes,nuts/bolts,fluids. Approx 1000 TTAF/1300 SMOH. CHT/EGTs all fine, odd oil temp issue that I don't know how to fix. Replaced vernatherm, and had oil cooler serviced by Pacific. Haven't flown due to temp issue and medical issues. • Contact Timothy Wilson , Owner - located San Mateo, CA United States Telephone: 404-5072376 • Posted February 10, 2022

-Kent