Sales I've seen

12 hours ago, velopilot said:

To be clear: N316NM.  He has done a nice job of marketing it on in his blog, compared to the losers that make you beg for pics.  I think the white interior is a mistake; in my experience, white will reflect into the canopy and it gets dirty but a $95K buyer can have his valet tidy it up.  🙂  I was very interested to see the downdraft cooling (pic 1,2) but the cowl opening could be reduced by half, I expect, and make it even faster.  Compare to pic 3

-----------------------

I see that the ebay Cozy project posted recently is reduced to $6000, i.e., this one.    https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=62905  Another Picasso-on-the-curb.

IMG_1202 (2).JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_0335.jpg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 2/4/2019 at 9:07 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Today on Ebay:  Wing cores in Canada.  Item   132940500989.  I see that Eureka says it is no longer stocking foam.  It appears they may be getting out of the business; I would not surprised given the dismal level of building these days   http://www.eurekacnc.com/Home.htm   Anyway $3000 for cores does not sound that cheap to me and cutting cores is a fun exercise.  I recently saw foam at a nearby insulation company (pics 2,3).  This stuff, I think:  http://www.qualityfoam.com/docs/trymer-2000-xp.pdf   The gent said he would sell it for about $100 a bun vs. $218 at ACS.  I love a gouge like that!

Just for those who aren't tracking, 3000 CAD is only 2281 USD.

Edited by Quinton Oliviero
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, Kent Ashton said:

Let us know what you think of N44TJ but when a seller is demanding de-registration and you know the engine has problems....🙂

44TJ was highly recommended to me from the guys at RAFE. I went to them to get dual instruction in their Speed Canard early in the year. The RAFE borrowed it for 1.5 years, gave demo flights in it (25 hours worth, according to the log book), and the seller is also a Southeastern regional rep for RAFE. All of the RAFE and EZ Jet guys who were were familiar with the plane gave it a great recommendation. 

I looked at 44TJ about every weekend for the last month; compression test, oil analysis, multiple airframe inspections, etc. Long story short, nothing that the guy in September said was true, except that the plane has a GU Canard. According to RZ of RAFE and the seller, this one does not have any unpredictable tendencies in the rain.

The seller did not demand de-registration, but encouraged me to keep it as 44TJ because it's easier to re-register and "it would warm my heart to see 44TJ at Sun N Fun again."

Long story short, I flew it home yesterday. It made the 400 mile trip without a hiccup. Seller also threw in a lot of extras including a set of wheels pants, a powder coated 320 mount, the original plans (#17), every receipt, a build photo album, some specialty tools, tons of miscellaneous spare parts, etc.

It's not as fast as I'd hoped, but upon further research, with no pants, a 235, and a climb prop, it's right where it should be.

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, just responding to Kent's request to let you all know what I thought about it! ;)

IMG_20190208_124943977.jpg

Edited by Pez
  • Like 1

I hope it works well for you but how did you get around the metal in the oil?  Are you going to re-engine?  The GU canard can be OK.  Some of them are less affected by moisture than others, I hear.   Post some pics.  The original PDF ad has expired.

---------

OT:  I was look at all the clouds in the your pic.  I bet every one of them was generated by an airplane contrail.  Folks have said that after 9-11 when the airlines were grounded, the skies were  unusually cloud-free.

-Kent

3 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

I hope it works well for you but how did you get around the metal in the oil?  Are you going to re-engine?  The GU canard can be OK.  Some of them are less affected by moisture than others, I hear.   Post some pics.  The original PDF ad has expired.

There was no metal in the oil. The oil analysis I got said there was an elevated level of aluminum, probably due to inactivity, which was true (The plane hasn't been flown much since July), and chromium, and the plane just got a top overhaul 50 hours ago with new chrome cylinders. But both of the chromium and aluminum levels weren't alarming, just above average. All of the oil readings from the PDF were absolutely nothing like the oil analysis I got from my analysis. I've been in and out of the used car business for years and I've seen some shady dealings. It wouldn't surprise me if the buyer purposely sent in a known bad sample in order to talk the seller down from his initial price. He has only posted the bad info about the plane on this forum and hasn't been back; doesn't lend much credibility to his claim. I've also build MANY race car engines, so I did as much of an analysis as I could before I sent the sample.

The seller did say he wouldn't sell it to the last 2 buyers because "they were the know it all type", so maybe there was some friction between the buyer and seller??

I do want to reupholster the seats, but I'll keep it as-is for now.

_20160202_190032.JPG

51906444_303376810321781_733442678850584576_n.jpg

51936869_2750689185156638_6403992827579072512_n.jpg

Edited by Pez

Yesterday's B-stormers.  A very unappetizing ad, likely overpriced and with no pics.  I don't know why I bother but . . .  

VARIEZE • $6,000 • CLEANING OUT THE BARN  Varieze project with 0200 older overhauled.75 percent done .pictures on request • Contact William R. Rhymer, Owner - located Joplin, MO USA • Telephone: 1 417 529 6086 • Posted February 9, 2019

-Kent

Yep, selling my BD-5 project.  I bought one of the first kits in about 1971 as a Lieutenant.  Worked on the wings and realized I needed more shop than I had at that time and sold it.  Just before retirement another pilot had this unstarted kit and I heard the siren call again.   Over time, I came to realize that the prop version was not a very good idea however jet engines have come down in price.  It could easily be finished as a jet but not by me.  I am not sure my build quality justifies the cost.  Well, water under the bridge.  The second pic is the nose I rebuilt recently; the original one was off center.  It will give you an idea of what it's like to build one of those things.  All the parts you see had to be built from plans except the preformed skins and the NG strut.  It was a great airplane for learning metal-working but not as easy as Jim Bede let on.  Other pics here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/85325364@N02/

BD-5  MAKE OFFER  BD-5B (long wings) on the gear with Kauth redrive (unobtanium), Riblett wings, FULL plans, newsletters, PCNs, hardware, jigs, pilot manual builder pics and supporting documents. Contact me for a full description and pictures. I will advertise here for a couple of months and take the best offer. • Contact Kent J. Ashton, Owner - located Concord, NC USA • Telephone: 704-784-1874 • Posted February 12, 2019

LftFtQtr.jpg

Nose2.jpg

-Kent

Open to trade or sell - 2008 SQ2000 - Currently @ CHINO

LYC IO360 200hp 54 hrs since zero timed OH 2006. This is 3rd canard aircraft by builder. 1st flew in 2009, last flew in Dec 2018. Always stored in Hanger since new. SQ2000 is the most aerodynamic and best looking of the 4 place canards. It's a little shorter in height and a little wider & faster than the other, like aircraft. The seats sit low on the floor, you don't loose any headroom.

Bill Oertel is the west coast canard expert and he has completely gone through this SQ and corrected any safety issues/concerns. Installed single Plasma III lightspeed elec ignition. Left side is still Mag.

New tires
new brakes, 
New oil change
redone baffling, 
engine wiring harness cleaned up, 
Deleted vacuum system for weight savings 
New battery
New Wilhemsen elec nose gear motor
Incidence reset properly against another SQ

Rudders are setup for 6'-6'4 pilot

Garmin 295
King Radio
King KT76a Transponder

Added Dynon Skyview 10" touch EFIS - $10k value - will come with latest databases
Full Annual Inspection complete Dec 18 and flown Dec 18 - By Oertel
Full Logs included

Flight characteristics - had a bit of a dutch roll, Bill is recommending new CozyIV wings get fitted, the factory molded wings ran heavy 120lbs per wing.

Total empty weight is 1500lbs with dual 30AH batteries and full weight & balance done.  New wings would lower that 120lbs. Max gross is 2,300lbs

I have over $56k into it, willing to trade at $50k value.

djbreslin@gmail.com

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_4626.jpeg

IMG_4620.jpeg

IMG_4621.jpeg

I do use updraft cooling Kent, The air comes up through the bottom of the block so when the cowling sits in top of the baffling they are held in position perfectly. We have tested the temps in flight and all CHTs are well below 390s at full throttle.

Cameron, This SQ is not specifically mentioned in that post... looks like a rant about how SQs can't be safe because there aren't enough flying. Not a great argument in my opinion. I know of another one flying @ KAJO and it's a great safe plane. It just never took off because the company was scamming ppl, which doesn't mean their kits were unsafe or not a decent design. The accidents that have occurred have nothing to do with the SQ design.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, sdtrojan said:

I do use updraft cooling Kent, The air comes up through the bottom of the block so when the cowling sits in top of the baffling they are held in position perfectly. We have tested the temps in flight and all CHTs are well below 390s at full throttle.

Post a pic of your lower cowl plz.  I can’t visualize how that would work. Most of the SQs i see in google images seem to have a standard updraft into a plenum, then up through the bottom of the fins and out.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Two Variezes today, N88ED, no pics.    https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/NNum_results.aspx?NNumbertxt=88ED

VARIEZE • $18,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE  Well built. O-200, glass cockpit, empty wt 640lbs, night eqp, oil filter, approx 1760ttaf. OBO • Contact Jeff Martin, Owner - located Fayetteville, GA USA • Telephone: 3107224555 • Posted February 13, 2019

and this one not far from me on Craigslist  https://charlotte.craigslist.org/avo/d/garner-varieze/6818236430.html   https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=45790

N45790  Couple of pics in the ad.  Seller wants $17,000.  says:  Air brakeContinental C-90,  Hand crank nose wheel,  Trims out nicely in flight,  I have installed a light weight starter,  Call or text No voicemails

00L0L_bVwIaViYApA_600x450.jpg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Here is another sad story of a guy who croaked before he finished (or even started on) his Velocity project.  Grieving wife trying to unload it.  It looks like a decent deal--about half price.    Bonus:  Includes "Moldless Composite Construction" book!

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/avo/d/live-oak-velocity-173-rg-elite-aircraft/6823193233.html

Apparently the Cozy project in Atlanta discussed above sold.  No longer listed

BTW, here is a way to search in Craigslist.  Say you want to search in aviation or for a BMW bike.  On Craigslist.org for your area select "Aviation" or start a search in "For Sale" for "BMW motorcycle" , then change the city to any city you want.  The search will switch to that city.    I have also used Google to search CL by searching for "site:craigslist.org "BD-5" "    That brought up this little gem, a prime candidate for the PBS TJ100 jet engine.    No goofy kids have screwed it up in their shed and parked it under a tarp for the past 48 years.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/avo/d/san-diego-vtg-70-bede-aviation-bd-5/6817160832.html

(Don't bite on that last one without PM-ing me.  It is a short wing kit and the plans book looks very thin)

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

On 2/13/2019 at 11:59 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Two Variezes today, N88ED, no pics.    https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/NNum_results.aspx?NNumbertxt=88ED

VARIEZE • $18,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE  Well built. O-200, glass cockpit, empty wt 640lbs, night eqp, oil filter, approx 1760ttaf. OBO • Contact Jeff Martin, Owner - located Fayetteville, GA USA • Telephone: 3107224555 • Posted February 13, 2019

Pic of n88ed that was sent to me by the owner. He said last flight and annual was December 2017 canard and wing is off and in storage in his trailer.

8A51E7FE-541E-40A7-BDD3-A4BFDFDEDAE8.jpeg

E336836B-8A6D-4243-AB46-E7D024109252.jpeg

018335CF-DE23-445E-BB05-BBD48FF40D69.jpeg

Seen on the cozybuilders mail list.  An Aerocad Cozy

I have a whole project I'd like to sell.  95% of it was built by Jeff Russell at the original Aerocad.  The parts I bought from him are the following:
  • Fuselage, primered surfaces ready to paint
  • Wings with winglets attached and ailerons (not attached), microed, smooth but not primered
  • Main spar, which is taped into the fuselage
  • Main gear bow, which is attached to the fuselage and Cleveland brakes installed
  • Upper and bottom cowls, primered ready to paint
  • Nose, primered ready to paint
  • Canard with elevators (not attached), primered ready to paint
  • Seats, installed
  • Strakes
  • Numerous other parts, including control system
Many of the additional parts for builders to make have been made and installed, e.g. firewall, F-22, instrument panel, etc.  I've been hesitating putting this project up for sale, mostly because of nostalgia, but I'm ready to sell.  It is located at KSFB in Sanford, FL. It has been hangared its entire life, and a friend is allowing me to keep it there free.  He said he will finish it once he breaks free from his business.  I don't see it happening any time soon.  He told me if I can sell it, he will understand.
Price is reasonable and negotiable.
Simon Ramirez

-Kent

I see that the Langford Defiant we saw a year ago is back on B-stormers, still at $27K.   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=61356  He is obviously in no hurry to sell.  Maybe waiting for an estate sale.  🙂

This reminds me of my neighbor, a nice guy who has a $25,000 custom Harley chopper in his garage that he can't ride due to back problems.  It's been there about 18 years.  If he had sold it 18 years ago for $20K and earned modest 3% on the money, he'd have $34,048 today instead of an out-of-style bike worth maybe $10K.  If he could earn 8% on $20K, he'd have $39960.    This is easy to compute using a calculator with an X-to-the-Y-power function.    To figure 3% interest over 18 years, plug in 1.03, X-to-the-Y, 18 which gives 1.702 times the sale price of $20,000 = $34048.

It works in reverse with the same key using the "shift" function on most calculators.  I hope I am not insulting anyone's intelligence--I am barely math-literate myself-- but I'm sure a lot of people do not think about the time-value of money or know how to calculate it.   If Mr. Langford had sold his Defiant for $27K a year ago (it was listed at $28K), and put his money in a 3% savings account he would have $27810 today.  If it takes him 5 years to sell at $27K, he could have had $31300 less taxes,

While I am veering way off the topic, I will mention BankRate.com which I heard about from Clark Howard's podcast  (Clark.com).  I had money in a local bank account for way too long earning .03% and moved it to a 2.5% online bank account from the BankRate site.  Still paltry but a big improvement.  Gonna buy me a defiant some day!

-Kent

The North Carolina Craigslist Varieze (N45790 discussed above) marked down from $17K to $16K today.  If he keeps advertising it without any cockpit and instrument pics, he'll be reducing it further, I expect.

current ad:  https://charlotte.craigslist.org/avo/d/garner-varieze/6818236430.html

-Kent

Seen today on FB.  This builder posted extensively about his project on canardaviators.com and his builder page is   https://sites.google.com/site/garagerocket/home?pli=1&fbclid=IwAR2JdQdecASSpW7lw0tpELhQ-lblWKIO-PqjsyDx01_hi89IhtJnODfWlnk    Be sure to check his links to pictures at the bottom of that page.  He says

$17,000  
Ok, so my project is officially for sale. I'm moving to Mexico and I'll have no use for it there. I want $17000 for the entire project, which is HALF of what I have in it. 

Includes 
1. my jumbo-sized fuselage (4" wider, 4" deeper & 10" longer (8" in rear seat area)), Hydraulic nose gear w/ hydraulic shock

2. wings & winglets w/ all hardware to complete, 

3. all materials to complete canard (Eureka core and $1200 of CG hardware, spar cap tape), 

4. new latest gen Infinity Retracts w/ Michelin tires & complete Matco wheel/brake setup & park valve ($8000), 

5. Centerspar built 18" wider to accommodate for 4" fuselage width and 7" additional each side to accommodate simpler operation of Infinity gear. This will also give extra strake tankage to make up for loss due to retract wheel wells. Gear goes up and down like a pair of log splitters. Dirt simple.

6. All-aluminum 4.3L Chevy V6, w/ Rotator 1.53 prop drive, 8" Sabre extension and Catto 66x74 3 blade propeller. Only OEM part in engine is the crank, which has been thoroughly prepped & nitride hardened. Rotating assy dynamically balanced. All components are top shelf competition-grade parts. No junk. I have over $15000 in the eng/drive/prop combo. AT LEAST 250hp. Probably closer to 300 at takeoff. Dry wt of engine, gear & & accessories was 350lb. Gearbox is rated for 1000hp and uses a rubber-damped drive plate to isolate torsional vibes. Hundreds in service and damn near indestructible. No magical hoodoo that will fail and make you crash. Unlike some other "aviation" gearboxes....

7. All the 4130 tube and rubber isolators required to construct an engine mount. I got a bunch of 4130 in 3/4 & 7/8. One slides inside the other. I had ideas; you can figure it out.

Willing to separate the engine package and airframe. Thats it. So don't ask to buy some little part that would leave either incomplete. 

Email me ONLY if you are seriously interested and have money:  
marc.oppelt at gmail

Yeah, "serious only" is right.  

IMG_0037.PNG

More Mount Ideas.jpg

IMG_0261.JPG

-Kent

It is a neat project, and a shame he won't finish it.

Being so heavily modified, it is a one-off design, and unfortunately therefore essentially worthless until completed and proven. Too much risk.

There are some valuable parts on it, but I don't think it will sell for anything like what he wants.

• Like 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)