Sales I've seen

Been doing this thread so long that airplanes are coming up for the second time.  This one on Facebook today N1361S, a 1997 build by Larry Sligar (plans #74) which I first talked about here    http://forum.canardaviation.com/showpost.php?p=71237&postcount=70     It was nicely built but a hangar queen for a good many years.  A couple of guys bought it from the widow and the engine threw a rod after they flew it a while--lesson there about engines that sit.  I suppose all that is in the past now but it'd be interesting to inspect the engine logs.  Ballistic parachute!

image.png.1511617695834bd5e1de6564790b694b.png

41992222_2203985412946029_2768532598991880192_n.jpg

41952206_2203985416279362_5182735030333472768_n.jpg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 9/17/2018 at 6:42 PM, Marc Zeitlin said:

I did the engineering for that chute install, and Burrall did the install. Interesting that it's for sale just a few years later.

The seller posted some pics of this installation.  I am guessing there is some way to blow a hole in the turtleback and the red tube is a mount for the straps.  Any other comments, Marc?

Se3 that bad interior paint?  The builder probably did not use a primer on the fiberglass or a clearcoat over the top coat.  I made the same mistake omitting the clearcoat.  Use a matte clearcoat.

42151327_2205716979439539_8072384392812560384_n.jpg

41990957_2205717016106202_4686590793530474496_n.jpg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Long-ez on B-stormers today. N24PN, a 1984 Norman Messinger build.  http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/2/N24PN.shtm  Maybe priced a little high for the engine, GU canard, football wheel pants and basic avionics but looks nice.  Some fancy paint additions would add 20 knots and $1000, I'm guessing.  ?

LONG EZ • $29,000 • LOOK AT THIS  Well built Long EZ for sale. First flight 1984. Proven 800 hours TTSN, Engine Lycoing O-235 L2C 360SMOH and 2 hours Since Top Overhaul. Condition Inspection due in November. Currently flying. Large rudders. B&T propeller. Odyssey 680 Battery. Electric nose lift. 500x5 tires. A plans built plane ready for your weekend projects to make it faster and even more efficient! 895 pounds empty. I am selling to finance another project. Based near Kansas City, KLWC. 913.575.2121 • Contact Nathan Peck, Owner - located Leavenworth , KS USA • Telephone: 9135752121 • Posted September 18, 2018

watermark.jpg

watermark-1.jpg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

2 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

I am guessing there is some way to blow a hole in the turtleback and the red tube is a mount for the straps.

The top of the turtleback was thinned so that the rocket could blast a hole - BRS gives recommendations for what it can get through. The red tube is the attach point for the forward lanyards, and the rear lanyards attach to the top interior engine mounts.

Let's hope we never have to find out if it would work, because we obviously never tested it. There was substantial modification to the fuselage sides to take the deceleration loads, which BRS states can get to 9G's.

Marc,

Is there not concern of the BRS getting caught up in the fan in the back?  I would figure even with a rocket going up - and the airplane at 100 kts it would tend to go back until speed was down... (maybe even more likely at 200kts).    I just do not know (and wonder if it would have saved Hooley).  You design safety around what you think will happen - I would say 80% take off and landings and 40% unknown.   Things like early flight testing that probably goes more to 80% take of or landing and 100% unknown.  (using common core math percentages).  Where did this customer believe it would be used? (when would you predict?)  

15 hours ago, mquinn6 said:

Is there not concern of the BRS getting caught up in the fan in the back?... Where did this customer believe it would be used? (when would you predict?)  

With any pusher aircraft that has a CAP (Complete Aircraft Parachute), that concern exists. But many pushers (particularly light aircraft) have CAP's, and have been tested. BRS designs their lanyards to be able to withstand getting caught in the prop, but the recommendation is to shut off the engine prior to pulling the chute. What would actually happen in any particular incident? No one has a clue.

This customer (and the Berkut customer for whom I also worked with FFC to install a BRS) did a lot of night flight over rough terrain, as well as IFR and night IFR over rough terrain. They felt that in those cases, coming straight down slowly would be safer than any type of flight into terrain, even if the plane was completely under control.

This Varieze today.  Seller Hanson has refurbed a lot of canards and does some nice work. I wonder if the $20K includes the new paint?

VARI EZ PROJECT ALL MODS DONE • $20,000 • FOR SALE TO GOOD HOME  0235 Vari ez. 340 hrs new cylinders. Mods include wheel pants , gear leg fairings, long nose , extended front hatch, strake extensions for more cockpit room, hidden oil door, custom cowls, adjustable brakes in the nose. Elec nose lift and speed brake. new glass panel Ifly 740, AVMAP, TRIO auto pilot. plane needs final sand and electrical and avionics connections. wireing is in the plane. I will finish the plane, choose your paint and interior colors. • Contact David J. Hanson located Warren , OH USA • Telephone: 724-614-9046 • Posted September 20, 2018 

watermark-1.jpg

watermark.jpg

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

More Picassos-on-the-curb:  this nice Cozy project on B-stormers at a great price with wings, canard, etc.  .  I am curious why a builder gets so far along and dumps it.  Seller Hanson does a lot of canard rebuilds but I doubt he built this.  Musta bought it for peanuts or traded for one of his flying rebuilds.

[quote=]COZY4 UNIQUE PROJECT • $12,000 • FOR SALE TO GOOD HOME  Great starter fast build unique canopy system. Wings and canard built by Dennis Oltman. Sold for less than the price of the wings and canard. I can finish the plane as an option. Control system, closeout fuel stakes and add some wheel pants. And it would be ready for avionics and engine. Engine mount it included. An 0360 is available also. • Contact David J. Hanson located Warren , OH USA • Telephone: 724-614-9046 • Posted October 5, 2018 [/quote]

Also this Long-ez.  There is something a little funky with the winglet.  It looks like he cut-out a bad antenna but that can be patched pretty quickly.  The rest looks good. More pics in the ad

[quote=]LONG EZ PROJECT • $2,500 • LAST CHANCE  $2500 or BEST OFFER: WHEN THIS AD EXPIRES, IT WILL BE GONE FOREVER. Get a head start on a complete Long EZ project. It's a blank canvas where you can do your own mods and still be ahead. You can inspect the glass work. NOTE: that you will have to redo the winglets as I cut both off to put a blended winglet but never completed, also nose gear already sold.. I'm including Eureka CNC winglets with the sale so you can put it back. You will need to pick it up and load it from KCNO. Additional pictures available. • Contact Robert A., Owner - located Huntington Beach, CA USA • Telephone: 4256869672 • Posted October 1, 2018[/quote]

Also saw an EZ cowl and exhausts but not priced to sell quickly.

watermark.jpg

watermark-1.jpg

watermark-2.jpg

watermark-3.jpg

-Kent

This sad EZ on Ebay today.  Item 173575299545   No N-number I could see.  Now that it's virtually worthless, try to sell it. ?

This is a LongEZ project/parts.  The plane was operational shortly before it was dismantled and placed into barn storage about 30 years ago.  It’s been sitting in my driveway under a tarp for the last two years.  This was my father’s plane before he lost his medical.  He had purchased it from a friend of his and flown it for a few years.   He was a crop duster and we lived in a very rural area, thus my old man wasn’t much on paperwork or registration.   I don’t have any paperwork at all regarding this airplane or engine.  Paint is blistered and peeling in quite a few areas.  The canopy was broken by a tree branch that fell on the plane just after we dismantled it and transported it to our farm for storage.  The engine is a Lycoming 0-235 and turns fine. I’m sure it would take quite a bit of work to make this airplane airworthy again, but its’ pretty much all there save for needing a new canopy. Buyer will need to provide a signed statement that they understand they are purchasing parts only and take all responsibility for determining the airworthiness of those parts.

EZSD.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

-Kent

He's dreaming if he thinks he can get over $3k for an airframe that has been left to rot for 30 years!
If I was in the US I might offer to take it off his hands for nothing, and use it as a ground-only instructional airframe and / or simulator.

Edited by Voidhawk9

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

On 10/7/2018 at 3:58 PM, Voidhawk9 said:

He's dreaming if he thinks he can get over $3k for an airframe that has been left to rot for 30 years!

Free markets at work!  He has 10 bids up to $3700 so far.

Saw this Cozy III, N80CZ on the Cozy list today (PDF BELOW).  1992 vintage and has had two other owners.  Was listed at $39K by the second owner.  Now $29K.   Has an O-290.  I had an O-320 Cozy III.  I would say an O-290 is about the minimum engine for the C-III, it looks fairly nice.  Wheel pants?

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=80CZ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cozy_builders/vRzVgjhlMdg

Cozy For Sale.pdf

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

5 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

Free markets at work!  He has 10 bids up to $3700 so far.

Wow, great for the seller. I expect there may be some buyer's remorse at the other end!

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

Just trolling through my thread and I see that the front-hinge canopy Cozy above I had previously noted back in 2015 listed at $19,500.   Now $12K.  All things come to he who waits.  Maybe it's "to him who waits".

And speaking of things coming to those who wait, the Cozy III seller below finally met reality on the Cozy list today:

[quote=]In light of the cozy III that was posted for sale for 29k recently I am reducing my project price to 6500.00 most of you are probably familiar with it.  If you have interest, questions, want pictures contact me[/quote]

This one:

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

That Cozy III for $29k looks like a very fair deal.  I don't know that airplane at all.... but the photos make it look very nice.  I've been hearing that 172 prices are on the rise.... wonder if the value of 3 and 4 seat canards will ever start to climb again?

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

The sad looking EZ above   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?page=11&tab=comments#comment-62499   went for $6100.  Whodathunkit?   I guess it can be resurrected but with the potential problems you might find and the small [rusty?] engine, it seems like a win for the seller.

You can find the final value using Ebay.com Advanced Search and check "completed listings".  Pawn shops use this all the time to check the value of stuff coming to them for pawn.  Now you know a sad looking O-235 EZ with a broken canopy can be pawned for a bit less than $6100.  Pawn-shops gotta make a profit.  ?  I have bought a lot of little stuff at pawn shops.

-Kent

13 minutes ago, tfulwider said:

Deregistered in 2012.  For having no paperwork, bad paint, old avionics and unknown engine, it is fully priced, I'd say.  ?

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/bits-and-pieces-newsletter/03-14-2017-the-quickie-q2

http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/1/N12JP.shtm

-Kent

This ad on B-stormers today.  Geez, would it over-G their fingers to put in some more details?  "Serious Sellers Only, please"  ?

LongEZ
1x1.gif

LONGEZ • $32,000 • FOR SALE BY WIFE  1986 LongEZ Great flyer, had fun now it's time to move on. Can email pics Call for info • Contact William D. Day, Owner - located Talent, OR USA • Telephone: 541-890-6676 • Posted October 23, 2018 

No matter, we are serious sleuths here at Sales I've Seen with multo-advanced search skills.  It appears to be N8HA:

Aircraft: ANDERSON HERBERT C LONG-EZ (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING 0-235 SERIES (115 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 8HA , Serial Number: 1579, Year manufactured: 1986, Airworthiness Date: 01/21/2014
Registrant (Individual): William D Day, 210 N Pacific Hwy, Talent, OR 97540

-Kent