Sales I've seen

This Long-EZ on Barnstormers.  Might be N933BP owned by Charles M. Mullins; did not find a Deven Mullins owner in the registry.  The ad is a little strange.  An '83 EZ with fully retractable gear?  "prop:0"?  What does that mean,  zero time or zero prop?   It has a rather high-time engine and "needs wiring".  I expect his price is a little ambitious.  

[quote=]1983 LONG EZ • $40,000 • FOR IMMEDIATE SALE  TTAF:1585, Lycoming O-360 TSMOH:1456.4, prop:0 Fully retractable gear, nose extension, needs wiring • Contact Deven Mullins, Owner - located Locust Grove, GA USA • Telephone: 7707154378 • Posted July 15, 2018 

Also, the Walsh project posted on Oct 30 '17 for $15K reduced to $10K (and still overpriced for this market, I expect).  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=60860

The nice Long-ez posted here May 9 for $32.5K sold.  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=61643

The Lance Hooley EZ listed for $52K shown as SALE PENDING.  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=61735

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 3 weeks later...

From the Cozybuilder's list today:

Cozy MkIV (flying), N142LE for sale, plans built #0731.
415 TT, IO360-C1C (fuel injected), Wright Electric Nose Lift, Lanza Electric Speed Brake, Strong Electric Pitch Trim, Matco Brakes (W51LXT), GRT EIS 4000, Garmin GX65 GPS/COM, Garmin GTX327 Xpndr, Trio Pro Pilot 2 axis auto pilot, SkyRadar-DX adsb rcvr, ‘steam gauges’ panel (a/h,turn coor, alt,a/s, v/s), Kannad 406-AF ELT. 

N142LE is hangered at KCCO in GA.  Asking $55k, or perhaps a partnership if located in south Atlanta area (wanna fly while you’re building?).  If interested, email for more info to rogerhendershot@gmail.com.

2003 Lloyd Gimple build  https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N142LE

Pics here    http://www.hassel-usa.com/photo/Cozy-Albq/Album1.htm

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Thanks Kent!  I took the plunge on this one in Dallas.  The guy was very friendly and helpful - he just realized he has so much other things in life happening that he will not get to it in this lifetime.

if anyone has history on N350W - I would greatly appreciate it.  Got the FAA generic stuff - even tried contacting prev owner (a Dr in TX).

the fun begins (when my shipper gets it to me)

2 hours ago, mquinn6 said:

Thanks Kent!  I took the plunge on this one in Dallas...

You had a good Pre-Buy examination from a canard knowledgeable expert, of course, yes? And read up on all the wing attach fitting corrosion issues associated with multiple Varieze aircraft, and the implications thereof? And understand that VE's are (per RAF) limited to 2.5G positive and 1.5G negative loading? And have sat in and flown VE's to make sure that you fit and like them?

The previous owner was VERY concerned about this (he has only had this for 2 years).  As the corrosion issues were really identified in 88 and this project completed in 94 - it appeared that the plates had been alodined and no surface corrosion on any parts.  There did not appear to be any gaps in the glass around it. - and from all indicators this has been a central TX plane - and hangered its life (or so the story goes).   I had him take a 1000 picts (not as good by far as up close) - and did jibe with what he had told me.   Seller said he had it inspected before he bought it.

I definitely plan on rounding up some of the local talent (pizza party) inspection once I actually get my hands on it to see EXACTLY what I have gotten myself into.  (Kent Ashton lives close and I hope to involve his scrutinizing eyes for certain!).

Thanks for the reminders of the limits!  Would love to figure non-destructive testing (unlike https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cozy_builders/POwl1duvBOE) to get realistic numbers - but will comply with Uncle Burts limits unil that is possible!

Yes - I fit.  Have sat in Long and Vari and several variations.  The seller was over 6' and weights more than I do and he fit comfortably in this.. (as each one can (is) built a LITTLE differently).

I will start another thread to share progress and looking thru the forum, people are not shy to point out things that I may miss!  

• Like 1

These Eureka cores on ebay today in Ontario, Canada.  Item number 132728882325    Those are nice to have.  I have not priced materials recently but it's said they are not much more than the price of the uncut foam billets.

Eureka.jpg

-Kent

Real good price on this EZ project in California today.  Looks good.  I like the Sharpie marks showing on the center spar; it shows the builder was taking care to get the BID laid out nicely.  If you like the Eureka cores above, you can get almost the whole freaking airplane for a little more.  Don't let the winglet problem bother you.  I  replaced a winglet in my Kent's EZ Project thread. 

EZca.jpg

watermark.jpg

watermark-2.jpg

watermark-1.jpg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

If I was building this engine would interest me.  It's an A1A model, about the simpliest versions.  Sounds like a runout that could be cleaned up and used maybe without a teardown for another 500-700 hours.  You would want to see copies of the logbooks.  If the cylinders are first-run cylinders, that'd be good.

The order of thinking for me is: Best case, the cam and lifters are OK and the cylinders can be used as is.  Next case, they can be honed, re-ringed and used as is (I have done that a home).  Next case, they need new rings, pistons, and valve work.  Next case, they are second run cylinders that might not pass an overhaul without major work.  So there you go  ?

Lyc.jpg

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

This EZ today.  N97WP,  William Prince build.  Nice looking.  I think I would have sprung for an O-320 before repainting it but IIWII.  "Many other extras".  ?

RUTAN LONGEZ • $38,500 • FOR SALE BY OWNER  Beautiful LongEZ, excellent workmanship that flies straight and true. TT 860 hours, 435 hours on Lycoming O-235 engine. New paint (2014) and GRT panel (upgraded in 2017 to S200SX, installed adaptive AHRS, processor upgrade, synthetic vision), uAvionix EchoUAT ADS-B (2017), GRT Avionics Safe-Fly 2020 WAAS/RAIM GPS 2020 (2017), Garmin GTX-327 Trans. (2012), Garmin GTR-200 Comm Radio (2017) and ACK E-04 ELT (2018). GRT pitch/altitude Autopilot Servo (2017). Many other extras!! A great plane to fly, always hangered and meticulously cared for. • Contact David Stiehr, Owner - located Dublin, CA USA • Telephone: 9253514438 • Posted September 3, 2018 • 

watermark-1.jpg

watermark-2.jpg

-Kent

On 4/2/2018 at 4:34 PM, Kent Ashton said:

Saw this one on a FB page.  Fairly complete with O-235 in Florida.  No price

http://www.n44tj.me

post-126542-0-84840600-1522701254_thumb.jpg

I'll save you guys the hassle regarding 44TJ. Enclosed Oil Report.

Lots of metal in the engine; Titanium and Tin which could be the babbet sleeves and  crankshaft, which = Complete Overhaul

The Owner knows his engine has a problem, but is still selling at too high of a price. Will only sell as De-register. Will not remove engine, etc.

Be careful.

N44TJ-180102(1).pdf

Edited by wil3d
  • Thanks 1

What was his price?   Did it have an Airworthiness Certificate?  If it didn't have an AC yet, then it really doesn't mean anything to deregister it.  A new owner could apply for an AC with your own N-number and get it flying.  The only hurdle would be to show that the major portion was built by amateurs--not a high hurdle with an EZ.  Even if it had an AC, if the new owner can establish the former N-number, he can ask for the AC to be reissued under a new N-number.   It might require a short FSDO inspection but that shouldn't be a problem.  Oh yeah, and rebuild the engine.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

"Oh yeah, and rebuild the engine" = lol, yeah

Asking was $30k, got it to around $25k. It'd be a good deal, but the engine is going to cost $15k+ to overhaul. Now you're talking $40k+ for a O-235 long ez with a GU canard that needs a lot of other TLC. Props a very old cruise prop that's been overhauled numerous times, needs new tires, new battery, the weight and balance looked questionable, etc, etc.

I think the point to de-registering it was to remove any potential liability, not sure. It has Airworthy cert.

Edited by wil3d

16 hours ago, wil3d said:

Asking was $30k, got it to around $25k. It'd be a good deal, but the engine is going to cost $15k+ to overhaul. Now you're talking $40k+ for a O-235 long ez with a GU canard that needs a lot of other TLC. Props a very old cruise prop that's been overhauled numerous times, needs new tires, new battery, the weight and balance looked questionable, etc, etc.

I think the point to de-registering it was to remove any potential liability, not sure. It has Airworthy cert.

I think an older, flying O-235 EZ can be had for $25-$28K so you are being generous.  ?  Just the non-flying condition alone knocks thousands off the price.  Did you discuss his project?

http://www.n44tj.me

Edit: Just read on FB that he is asking $25K for the airplane, $15K for the project "due to age, health".  Wait for the estate sale.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

On 8/2/2018 at 6:31 PM, mquinn6 said:

Thanks for the reminders of the limits!  Would love to figure non-destructive testing (unlike https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cozy_builders/POwl1duvBOE) to get realistic numbers - but will comply with Uncle Burts limits unil that is possible!

It's only destructive testing if it breaks :) 

LongEZ Project still for sale in El Cajon, CA  (KSEE)   Asking $4,500 OBO  comes with original paper plans. 

Lots of work has been done.

Has:
Building Plans
Complete Fuselage
Top and Bottom Cowling
Built Canard
Engine Mount for Lycoming O320
Wings Foam Blocks
Foam Cutter
Linkages
Templates
Tons of Fiberglass Cloth