Jon Matcho

How to "quote" other's post content

For those wanting to use the quoting feature when replying to other's posts, there are a few options. First, be sure to browse to the Help link (located at the bottom of every page), click on the Posting section, and read through what the editor modes are and what the toolbar buttons do. 

Here's the sequence that works for me (whatever works for you is fine):

• Click the 'Quote' button on the post that I want to reply to.  Alternatively, multiple posts may be selected for quoting by pressing the 'MultiQuote' button on the desired posts, and finally pressing the 'Reply to N posts' button that appears at the bottom-right of your screen.

• You will arrive at the rich text editor (RTE), the default editing mode showing your quoted text as one big chunk.

• To break it up into multiple parts I find it easiest to first toggle into "standard" editor mode, which is done using the upper-leftmost tool-button toggle.png in the editor. 

• Once in the standard/plain editor you can copy and paste as you need (while paying attention to needing surrounding "BB quote tags" around the blocks of text you mean to quote, for example:
    [quote]
    This is something another person wrote.
    [/quote]

This is your reply.

[quote]
    This is another part of what someone else wrote.
    [/quote]

This is your next reply.

You can also insert a blank quote block when in RTE mode by pressing the quote quote.png tool-button, and you will also notice there is additional information after the 'quote' tags that is used to show the original author and their post info.  Finally, toggling back and forth between RTE and standard mode often shows some "stray" BB code bits lying around if you've spent some time fiddling with various fonts, indents, and other toolbar options.  It's not HTML coding, but definitely a web "mark-up" language.

It took me a reply or two to get used to it but now I don't think much about it.  Most issues have to do with not using the correct "start" and "end" QUOTE tags in brackets -- remember they need to be used in pairs.

Alternatively, traditional quoting conventions can also be used, for example:

>This is something another person wrote.

This is your reply.

>This is another part of what someone else wrote.

This is your next reply.

Feel free to choose whatever mode that works best for you.

Edited by Jon Matcho
Mentioned needing pairs of start/end QUOTE tags

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Developer & Builder
Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Building Cozy Mark IV+ (widened rear)

Jon,

I see how to toggle in and out of RTE but I don't see how to cut and paste anything or create spaces to break up multiple posts. Could my use of Google chrome be an issue ?

I see how to toggle in and out of RTE but I don't see how to cut and paste anything... 

Click on the Help link mentioned above (bottom of every page), and then view the "Posting" section to find where the Copy/Paste buttons are.  You could also use native operating system commands (ex. Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V in Windows).

...or create spaces to break up multiple posts. 

It seems the Rich Text Edit mode has a bug where you cannot insert additional line breaks, but the workaround is to do this when in Standard mode.  The next version of the software, in beta test, has additional controls so that (hopefully) toggling between modes will no longer be necessary.

Could my use of Google chrome be an issue ?

If anything I suspect Chrome may be tested more thoroughly by the developers of the software as there once was a bug where quoting and other features were not available using Microsoft Internet Explorer (which has since been fixed).  Chrome is not the issue -- I am replying using Chrome right now.  :)

A recent update to the forum software has given us another way to quote posts when replying: 

1. Click and drag your mouse over the text you want to quote to get a "Quote selection" button to appear right near your selection. 
  2. Click the "Quote selection" button and the selected text will be included in your reply at the place where your cursor was last at.
  3. Repeat as necessary.

Simple, and works great!

2019-05-15_21-07-05.png

Important Information