New canard aircraft designs in the works

Jon Matcho

On 12/11/2014 at 5:45 PM, AVI said:

Well, aren't they all plastic?  :)

Indeed! Touché.

I was just reminded of this one, a one-off French 3LS custom canard aircraft known as the CC02.  It was written up in the April 2014 issue of EAA Experimenter magazine.

post-126731-0-63450800-1418337729_thumb.jpg

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2014 at 12:27 PM, Jon Matcho said:

The previous "raptor" is not to be confused with the kit being designed and built by Keith Murphy of Raptor Air Works (unfortunate that the two have essentially the same name).

This Raptor is a design based on the Rutan VariEze but incorporates a steel tube structure surrounded by a composite skin.  I am interested in seeing how the weights go, but this, so far, appears to have reasonable expectations with a reasonable price tag.  

This will be a really cool aircraft when brought to life

• 2 weeks later...

In the almost-news department, I caught this post on Facebook from ULPower North America (the North American dealer for ULPower Aero Engines😞

ULPower North America (via their Facebook page) said:

How about a 200hp quickbuild ULPowered canard with retractable gear? I think this might make a good addition to the UL Corporate Flight Department. That reminds me... I have a two day drive to Sebring next week.

What I get out of that is ULPower NA is teasing/toying with the idea of packaging a 200HP ULPowered canard kit aircraft. Sebring happens to be the location of next week's US Sport Aviation Expo, and you can read into that however you like.

ULPower is already on Nate Mullins' beautiful Long-EZ and has already made its first flight (see CSA Issue #117).

Interesting possibilities... I would really like to hear more about these hopeful developments!  Anyone?

I said:

I would really like to hear more about these hopeful developments!  Anyone?

I received this back from Nate Mullins after "poking" him for some inside information (the bolding is mine):

Nate Mullins said:

Hey Jon. Well. Hmmmmmm let's see. Top secret 500hr build time canard coming out of Vegas. 200kt cruise with under 200hp. 

I've seen it. Get ready to see canards dominate once again :)

Eta: 6 months to flying prototype.

500 hours sounds a bit optimistic, but the 200/200 isn't unreasonable IMHO. I don't care if it took 1,500 hours -- this is GOOD NEWS!!!

500hrs, perhaps with an assisted build? It would be great to have a new canard option out there that took advantage of all of what is making others kits successful today. Still, nothing to do but speculate...

• Like 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

On 1/8/2015 at 7:43 PM, Jon Matcho said:

I received this back from Nate Mullins after "poking" him for some inside information (the bolding is mine):

500 hours sounds a bit optimistic, but the 200/200 isn't unreasonable IMHO. I don't care if it took 1,500 hours -- this is GOOD NEWS!!!

He wouldn't be writing about Tony's fuselage, would he?  http://www.canardgear.com/fuselage.html

500 hours sounds like good spin ...

• Like 1

AVI, I think you might have nailed it.  Nate mentioned Las Vegas, and the phone number from the web site is also in the Las Vegas area.  Do you know anything more?

For those not aware, Tony is a member here and had an active project-thread in the early days of building his EZ.  Tony's EZ project stopped when he acquired a Berkut kit, which he later sold just before starting www.canardgear.com.

I'll be rooting for this, but it's going to be a struggle building a business like this from the ground-up.

On 1/9/2015 at 4:31 PM, Jon Matcho said:

AVI, I think you might have nailed it.  Nate mentioned Las Vegas, and the phone number from the web site is also in the Las Vegas area.  Do you know anything more?

For those not aware, Tony is a member here and had an active project-thread in the early days of building his EZ.  Tony's EZ project stopped when he acquired a Berkut kit, which he later sold just before starting www.canardgear.com.

I'll be rooting for this, but it's going to be a struggle building a business like this from the ground-up.

Tony's shop is in Vegas.

You link the post about selling his project ... On a later post or maybe on CA he mentions changing his mind about  selling the Berkut project, that he had only considered selling in order to fund the biz.  (So maybe funding magically generated itself?) Somewhere along the line he writes of acquiring a second Berkut project, and that he's now building Berkuts. Then the ad for the fuselage on his website ... Now, the disclaimer here is that the accumulation and interpretation of all this intel is like putting two and two together to get five.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2015 at 8:21 AM, AVI said:

On a later post or maybe on CA he mentions changing his mind about selling the Berkut project, that he had only considered selling in order to fund the biz.

Here's a post close to that, but unfortunately that is just before the Canard Zone outage. Whatever the chain of events, I appreciate having another vendor as a source for parts and possibly kits for the community.  It will be interesting to hear reports of his gear and other items once they are flying.

Now, the disclaimer here is that the accumulation and interpretation of all this intel is like putting two and two together to get five.

True. Hopefully we'll get the skinny in the coming weeks.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Any news on Tony? His website has gone down.

His work was nice and the project looked extremely promising. I kept checking back for an update to his fuselage and strakes. I was hoping his Berkut parts were the lead-in for a resurection of the Berkut, but in quick-build form.

• 7 months later...

They typically turn out anew video summary of what they have accomplished every Wednesday and Saturday morning.

They are getting close to having a fuselage with doors.

Cool project. Wish them all the best.

Peter held a forum up at Oshkosh this year. I wonder if they will have an aircraft for next year.

A ton of progress seeing as they just got a building September 2015.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 2 years later...

Here's one with the current hype: https://lilium.com/

I just skimmed through this entire thread. It all brings me back to the basics... just build a good and solid version of something that's already out there. Improve it for creature comforts, but this thread should serve as a good warning for anyone thinking to color far outside the lines.