Destructive Testing of Modified Seats

Steve Innova

About 14 months ago I started the process of redesigning the front seats of my modified Cozy, to improve the crashworthiness and allow for a higher, more upright (30 degree angle) seat that better fit my modified fuselage.

Here's the original thread: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6692)

I designed the seats using beam theory calculations, aided by a simple tool called BEAMCALC. They are designed to exceed the 9G crashload requirements stipulated in various FAA FARs.

After a lot of work, I had a design that I liked, but before installing them in my aircraft I decided to destructively test a full-scale seat/fuselage mockup, to validate the design.

This thread intended as a discussion of the process for destructively testing this design, and should culminate in a pretty cool video of the destructive testing. So stay tuned!

For now, here are a few diagrams of the design concept, and some pictures of the full scale mockup. Enjoy.

post-529-141090173547_thumb.jpg

post-529-141090173555_thumb.jpg

post-529-141090173559_thumb.jpg

post-529-141090173597_thumb.jpg

post-529-141090173602_thumb.jpg