Center of Thrust Line

goatherder

I think thats what you call it.

Am I correct in assuming that the axis of the propeller needs to be exactly centered (vertically) on the back of the spar & wings?

Is there any vertical leeway with this, and if so...does anybody know how much.

Does an inch or two make much difference? Can you have your prop centered on the bottom of the spar, or maybe on the top without adverse effect, or would that tend to tip the plane up or down?

I'm sure one of you engineer types must have the answer to this...so educate me.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

I think thats what you call it.

Am I correct in assuming that the axis of the propeller needs to be exactly centered (vertically) on the back of the spar & wings?

Is there any vertical leeway with this, and if so...does anybody know how much.

Does an inch or two make much difference? Can you have your prop centered on the bottom of the spar, or maybe on the top without adverse effect, or would that tend to tip the plane up or down?

I'm sure one of you engineer types must have the answer to this...so educate me.

The center of the prop is higher then the wing on most of the canards. there are a lot of factors involved in engineering the correct position. the thrust centerline is also at an angle to the centerline of the aircraft

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Ok...then what? What are these factors?

I plan to hang a direct drive V8 on there and the prop centerline is NOT going to be above the wing...cause the engine's crankshaft is like down by the bottom of the engine, and I'm going to bolt the prop directly onto the back of the crank. Just like an airboat. :envy: Oooooo!

So what will happen if the prop is down by the bottom of the wing? Too much down trim at cruise? (due to inceased canard lift the-faster-you-go)

Maybe there's some rocket science involved...and a rocket scientist that can provide a little insight?

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

I plan to hang a direct drive V8 on there and the prop centerline is NOT going to be above the wing...

So what will happen if the prop is down by the bottom of the wing....

You'll decrease your ground clearance if you move your prop down, but of course there are also other things, you can find some answers here, but keep in mind it's only theoretical, hypothetical discussion at this point. http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/design-structures-cutting-edge-technology/5670-main-wing-position-question-4.html#post46192

Seb

You might contact Steve Wright who is on the canard aviators mailing list. His StaggerEZE is a departure from the canard norm as I remember, and he had the info to determine his decision. FWIW.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.