garage door size

jpolenek

A while ago, I downloaded the attached photo but can't remember who posted it. Can somebody tell me if they were successful at getting the plane out without damaging it or the house. I'm looking at moving to a new house and would like to determine if I NEED a double garage door, or if two singles will also work.

Joe Polenek

post-2447-141090172705_thumb.jpg

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

A single won't cut it.

I would suggest looking for a double. It has more benefits that two singles.

Someone posted a picture of their two singles solution (but it was engineered for this when they built it. The covenants required single garage doors so he designed it with a support header for a double and then made a center section that could be removed (tracks and all) when the doors were in the raised position.

Most likely that would not be a solution for you but it is interesting how creative some builders are.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I moved my C-IV fuselage in and out through a single-car garage door many times without the MLG and engine. Did it just about like your picture but with the nose on a furniture dolly and I hoisted the back with an engine hoist and chains attached to the outboard wing mount bolts. It won't go through flat or with the MLG on, though.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

... I'm looking at moving to a new house and would like to determine if I NEED a double garage door, or if two singles will also work.

As the guy referenced in TMann's posting, I can say that it's POSSIBLE to get a COZY MKIV out of a single garage door, but it's very dependent upon the width of the door and the hardware around it. A 9' door or above - yes - with some tilting and rotating, as shown in the picture, you can do it. With an 8' door - well, it's POSSIBLE, but VERY tight, and might NOT be possible if there's a lot of crap anywhere near the door frame, or if the door slides (or whatever they're called) get in the way. In either case, the tilting and rotating will be absolutely necessary, and will take a bunch of folks and a lot of care.

I preferred to spend $800 to have the house built so I could take the center post out, since they wouldn't put in a double door. In my new house in Tehachapi, I had one 12' door put in (and one 8' door), so I could roll the COZY in and out on it's gear, if I ever had a need.

Someone posted a picture of their two singles solution (but it was engineered for this when they built it. The covenants required single garage doors so he designed it with a support header for a double and then made a center section that could be removed (tracks and all) when the doors were in the raised position.

After the Hurricane Katrina, many states adopted new building codes requiring a single header to go completely over both doors clear to the wall. The single header may to be put in anyways. So structurally one door and two doesn't matter. If this is the case, building the center column to be removed is very doable. Maybe not easy done, but you'll be doing it rarely.

Most likely that would not be a solution for you but it is interesting how creative some builders are.

If two single doors are required, then simple get wider doors. They're available in about any width and height you want. Heights are avialable in 3" increments and widths in about anything you need, but normally 1 or 2 foot increments. I don't know you'd need to get a cozy on it's wheels, but on an incline should be doable.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

After the Hurricane Katrina, many states adopted new building codes requiring a single header to go completely over both doors clear to the wall. The single header may to be put in anyways. So structurally one door and two doesn't matter. If this is the case, building the center column to be removed is very doable. Maybe not easy done, but you'll be doing it rarely.

If two single doors are required, then simple get wider doors. They're available in about any width and height you want. Heights are avialable in 3" increments and widths in about anything you need, but normally 1 or 2 foot increments. I don't know you'd need to get a cozy on it's wheels, but on an incline should be doable.

one more thing, with the cozygirls strakes or with the mod i did, there will be a saw needed. but dont remove the center! remover the left or right outer side. 15 min and it can be put back(not brick).

Steve M. Parkins