Rebuilding a varieze

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hate to see it come to this, but this plane may need more than I am prepaired to do. It might be easyer to start from scratch and do a long.

As Mark points out, it could be the photo or your sanding. Find an EAA expert in your area to look the plane over to build your confidence to move on. Making new aluminum plates and repairing that area or a few other areas is way easier than starting over.

As Mark points out, it could be the photo or your sanding. Find an EAA expert in your area to look the plane over to build your confidence to move on. Making new aluminum plates and repairing that area or a few other areas is way easier than starting over.

Marc. No "k".

IIRC, Joe Person states that he knows a way to repair/replace corroded or damaged VE wing fittings. Burt and Mike both state that they know of no way to do so safely, and they've put effort into thinking about it after the VE grounding and G limit issue of a few years back.

If Joe has developed a safe method, that's great - I would consult with him if I were you for such a repair.

I would be happy to wave the repair methodology past both Burt and Mike to determine if they concur with Joe's methods.

• 3 weeks later...

Im back, been away from the project for a little bit. Pesky job is getting in the way of having fun with the vari. A few updates, I receive my wing cones from the machine shop and they look great. Also placed my first order with Aircraft spruce. Never thought I get so excited to receive a box of assorrted A/N hardware and composite building materials. I am now an official member of my local EAA and my spirits have turned around about the build after meeting the other members. I just reminded myself this is a project and as long as I take it one step at time I'll finish it one day. As long as I'm here I like to see if anyone has spotted a nose retract gear or the whole thing, but my main concern for now is the gear. Mine has stripped teeth.

post-39028-141090173539_thumb.jpg