Varieze

very easy

Hi Norm,

Sorry about that. I have a new computer and the darn screen is so big, I forget to look over there. Not bragging or anything. It is not much of a survey, rather just seeing how many ez's are actually here down under. I see on the RA Aus register there are 4 but not sure how many if any are GA registered.

G'day Norm,

Yes VH-EZP is hangared at SEN.

Your comments attributed to the previous owner sound odd to me, if his engine suffered a 400 RPM drop surely he would investigate the issue. If not I doubt he's on the level, and to sell it that way is questionable.

He claimed that closing and opening the throttle would rectify the problem, maybe for ice but that is clearly not the issue, maybe for a crumpling scat hose or other failure in the induction system but you've checked that out. Could I guess be a host of other issues but it all sounds a little bizzare.

I don't suppose you have an EIS/EMS fitted, would certainly help with diagnosis.

G'day Patrick[/b

Some years back there were 11 VE's and 19 LE's in Oz haven't heard of any being written off and including Norm's there has been at few additions to the numbers.

G'day Norm,

Yes VH-EZP is hangared at SEN.

Your comments attributed to the previous owner sound odd to me, if his engine suffered a 400 RPM drop surely he would investigate the issue. If not I doubt he's on the level, and to sell it that way is questionable.

He claimed that closing and opening the throttle would rectify the problem, maybe for ice but that is clearly not the issue, maybe for a crumpling scat hose or other failure in the induction system but you've checked that out. Could I guess be a host of other issues but it all sounds a little bizzare.

I don't suppose you have an EIS/EMS fitted, would certainly help with diagnosis.

G'day Patrick[/b

Some years back there were 11 VE's and 19 LE's in Oz haven't heard of any being written off and including Norm's there has been at few additions to the numbers.[/quote

Hi Patrick,

What is an EIS/EMS? Buying a used plane is same as buying a used car. I've bought and fixed up hundreds of cars over the years and they are getting more complicated every day-mainly the electronics. This a/c engine is more simple and accessable to work on than an old '80's or 90's car with a carby. Anyways, I was prepared to dismantle the engine if necessary when I bought it. The knowledge I am getting now will make working on the it a piece of cake later. BTY, it is lic as an ultralight. What rpm and ias are you getting at full throttle cruise? If you are at Serpentine sometime, I can come out and have a look at your varieze.

Norm

Hi Norm,

Sorry about that. I have a new computer and the darn screen is so big, I forget to look over there. Not bragging or anything. It is not much of a survey, rather just seeing how many ez's are actually here down under. I see on the RA Aus register there are 4 but not sure how many if any are GA registered.

There must be a GA register on the internet. I think there are two at Jandakot.

G'day Norm,

EIS/EMS = Engine Indicating System/Engine Management System ie. an instrument which measures an array of engine parameters, MaP RPM Oil T&P Volts/Amps, CAT and most useful multipoint EGT/CHT.

Not quite sure I view buying a 2nd hand aircraft the same as 2nd hand car, and as to the degree of simplicity or accessabilty of the O-200 making it a "piece of cake"...mmm...seems history tends to favour the simple things that owner builders over look that brings them to grief. Be careful, your actions effect us all.

Full throttle 2750 RPM @ 8500' around 130 IAS/153 TAS @ 450kg

There must be a GA register on the internet.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/asp/casadata/register/data/ACRFTREG.CSV

8x Varis, 20x Longs, 2x Velocities, 3x Cozy IIIs and 3x Cozy IVs registered in Australia right now on the GA register. Add the close to half dozen Varis on the RAA register and they are not that rare given the relatively small size of the Australian GA fleet (disregarding the 250 odd RVs).

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Wow,

Thanks for all the input guys. As I stated in another thread, I am fairly new to the Ez scene. I have been flying other planes for some time and almost forgot about the ez's for a while there. I recently read the book voyager and there you have it. The homework begins. I haven't seen too many around Brisbane and so was wondering just how many there are down here. The previous post clears that question up.

Good luck with the engine Norm. I hope you get it cracked soon.

Cheers

Patrick

G'day Norm,

EIS/EMS = Engine Indicating System/Engine Management System ie. an instrument which measures an array of engine parameters, MaP RPM Oil T&P Volts/Amps, CAT and most useful multipoint EGT/CHT.

Not quite sure I view buying a 2nd hand aircraft the same as 2nd hand car, and as to the degree of simplicity or accessabilty of the O-200 making it a "piece of cake"...mmm...seems history tends to favour the simple things that owner builders over look that brings them to grief. Be careful, your actions effect us all.

Full throttle 2750 RPM @ 8500' around 130 IAS/153 TAS @ 450kg

You should be getting about 145kt IAS but that would be with the perfect a/c in perfect tune. I'll be happy when I get your performance. Your confidence in mechanics suggest a certain inexperience. If I do it myself, I know it's done right. If I use an unknown mechanic, I can only guess.

:D :D

Wow,

Thanks for all the input guys. As I stated in another thread, I am fairly new to the Ez scene. I have been flying other planes for some time and almost forgot about the ez's for a while there. I recently read the book voyager and there you have it. The homework begins. I haven't seen too many around Brisbane and so was wondering just how many there are down here. The previous post clears that question up.

Good luck with the engine Norm. I hope you get it cracked soon.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. A bit concerned about "get it cracked soon" but I know you mean well.:D

The only confidence I have in mechanics is in their attempts to extract large amounts of money money for second rate workmanship, that's with other than aircraft, and so I do my own work.

With aircraft it is such a small industry that even a little research will tell who the good and bad overhaulers are. With the depth of specific knowledge required to overhaul an aero engine it is worth having a LAME on board either over seing and advising or doing it.

For an example when you've aquired your "aircraft timing light" what advance will you set for your particular engine. Tip it's a little trickier than you might think.

The only confidence I have in mechanics is in their attempts to extract large amounts of money money for second rate workmanship, that's with other than aircraft, and so I do my own work.

With aircraft it is such a small industry that even a little research will tell who the good and bad overhaulers are. With the depth of specific knowledge required to overhaul an aero engine it is worth having a LAME on board either over seing and advising or doing it.

For an example when you've aquired your "aircraft timing light" what advance will you set for your particular engine. Tip it's a little trickier than you might think.

I have a feeling that is going to be a trick question with lots of debate. Here I go! As with all mechnical work I do my research. The Teledyne mandatory service bulletin I have lists the timing at 24 degrees for A and B 0-200 Continental engine. As with a car engine, this figure will not give accurate tuning if the points are not set correctly. Also, I read somewhere, that the timing light can give an inaccurate reading because of some fault in mounting the magnitos.The procedure is detailed in the bulletin and I havn't read it closely yet or performed the task, so I'am not even a semi-expert. However, if you have done it before, I welcome your input.

Yes, your life can depend on doing it right. My risk is my inexperiece. A mechanic's risk is commercial pressure to do it fast and get to the next job for the boss.

Norm,

24 degrees BTDC won't get you into trouble but may not be optimal.

Originally the setup was for 28 degrees but this led to some cylinder head seperations so it was set back to 24. However depending on what serial # is on your cylinders you may go back to 28.

When you state;

My risk is my inexperiece

This is true enough but some of us will also see it as our risk too, for if you fall out of the sky it reflects poorly, whether rightly or wrongly on the aircraft type which is already met with a degree of skeptism by many aviators. Also the RAAus may begin to wonder why they have allowed such a type to creep onto their register, thus spoiling it for others.

When I read that you've made a set of replacement pins without knowledge or understanding, I worry. When I read you are test flying an unfamiliar aircraft without a CoA with a known engine problem, I worry. When I read you have rebuilt 100's of old car engines and the O-200 appears to be a piece of cake by comparison, I worry.

So please be careful about what you do, the VE is a fantastic little aircraft but it's not a type to be flipant with.

Forgive me if I sound a bit hard line on all this but there have been to many fatalities in this neck of the woods with sport aircraft in recent times. To much confidence to soon with this type of aircraft is not a good recipe. You have a great resources through this site and others, the CP (Canard Pusher) articles, and local owners/LAME's , use them all, they're/we're here to help.

Safe Flying

Mick

Norm,

24 degrees BTDC won't get you into trouble but may not be optimal.

Originally the setup was for 28 degrees but this led to some cylinder head seperations so it was set back to 24. However depending on what serial # is on your cylinders you may go back to 28.

When you state;

This is true enough but some of us will also see it as our risk too, for if you fall out of the sky it reflects poorly, whether rightly or wrongly on the aircraft type which is already met with a degree of skeptism by many aviators. Also the RAAus may begin to wonder why they have allowed such a type to creep onto their register, thus spoiling it for others.

When I read that you've made a set of replacement pins without knowledge or understanding, I worry. When I read you are test flying an unfamiliar aircraft without a CoA with a known engine problem, I worry. When I read you have rebuilt 100's of old car engines and the O-200 appears to be a piece of cake by comparison, I worry.

So please be careful about what you do, the VE is a fantastic little aircraft but it's not a type to be flipant with.

Forgive me if I sound a bit hard line on all this but there have been to many fatalities in this neck of the woods with sport aircraft in recent times. To much confidence to soon with this type of aircraft is not a good recipe. You have a great resources through this site and others, the CP (Canard Pusher) articles, and local owners/LAME's , use them all, they're/we're here to help.

Safe Flying

Mick

Gee, Mick, your emotional state is getting in way of clear thinking. I don't mind endless debate, but it has to based true facts, or I don't debate.I have seen no service bulletin that allows me to use 28 degrees with designated cyls.The repacement pins I made were discussed and approved with Macgyver. I suggested a more solid pin and he indicated it required lapping in and tested for fit with blue engineers dye. Very good info. How can you conclude I 'am flying a plane without a certificate of airworthyness-no mention was ever made of that. It has been registered with the RAA with an "airworthy certificate". In fact I am still in contact with the inspecter in sorting out this and other minor problems you find and correct by just flying the a/c in the circuit area. I'll take back my irritating "piece of cake" comment and say that my continental engine has similar design as an old carby aspirated automobile. That's not saying it is built to the same standard.

I'am flying in the ultralight catgory which means I am allowed to do all work on my a/c and possibly major modifications. In order to evaluate the a/c you also become a test pilot. Everything I do is well researched and applied to my highest possible standard. For your peace of mind, I will be consulting a LAME for ignition timing, the same as repairing more complex things in the past. If "my type" were more common, there would be less accidents. I've casually inspected other flying ultralights including from a flying school and have found faults that I would not fly with. One had cracks in the tail section running the whole height of the rudder, and the join to fuselage, and was flown unlic.

Please, in future posts elsewhere, make sensible comments.

Norm,

The SB that your looking for is; MSB 94-8A and ref. also to AD 96-12-06.

I made the comments you seemed to have taken exception to based on this.

You stated:

The repacement pins I made were discussed and approved with Macgyver.

Yet your very first post stated;

Made one up out of high tensile steel 1.00" dia and it sits ok

Your comment;

When I first saw the origional pin, it stood out as being poorly designed. It's strength was severely compromised in order to get a neat result.

That alone starts ringing alarm bells!

You stated;

How can you conclude I 'am flying a plane without a certificate of airworthyness-no mention was ever made of that.

Because of what you stated at post # 24;

Since it has been in Australia, 2400 rpm is the most I can get in cruise.......The Varieze is at Narrogin and will stay grounded till I go through the whole a/c in greater detail than requred to get the c of a.

Where I referred to "type" I meant aircraft not person, sorry if I confused or offended.

Ok Mick, all is forgiven [this thread is starting to go like a romantic novel]

I just found service bulletin MSB94-8C which supersedes 8A and B, on the Teledyne site. It should be the latest.Thanks for alerting me to the 28 degree option which it lists. The pin I made out of high tensile steel and sits ok was a prototype. Future pins will be made as described. Saying the origonal pin was poorly designed was a casual analysis to promote discussion. MacGyver wrote a whole post showing it was light and strong enough as is. Ok, the c of a bit was ambigious. Legally I can fly the plane, but decided to ground it to check out all systems etc. in addition to the c of a inspection. Remember that on the c of a cerificate there are words to the effect that the plane may not be airworthy even though it has been examined by a qualified person. A big problem is failed rubber seals some of which may have been on the a/c since 1982. The varieze also can legally fly on smaller engines. The reduced power I get now would be more than the smallest engine, based on take off distance. I hope you can sleep well now

Norm