How many clickbonds per hinge?

rnbraud

I am getting ready to mount my ailerons and rudders and will be using click-bonds from Infinity.

I had planned to utilize three (3) click bonds for the 4" rudder hinges, four (4) click bonds for the 6" rudder and aileron hinges, and 5 clickbonds for the 8" aileron hinge.

However, in looking over a few websites, including the Infinity website, I see where they used two click bonds on the small 4" hinges and only three click bonds on the larger 6" and 8" hinges.

Is this right? Is this what the "Cozy Collective" would suggest?

Thanks.

I am getting ready to mount my ailerons and rudders and will be using click-bonds from Infinity.

I had planned to utilize three (3) click bonds for the 4" rudder hinges, four (4) click bonds for the 6" rudder and aileron hinges, and 5 clickbonds for the 8" aileron hinge.

However, in looking over a few websites, including the Infinity website, I see where they used two click bonds on the small 4" hinges and only three click bonds on the larger 6" and 8" hinges.

Is this right? Is this what the "Cozy Collective" would suggest?

Thanks.

the plans are the ladder of witch you speek.

3=6" 2=4" 3=8"

so most just trade an3's for the click bonds. (i did) same for rudder..7

Steve M. Parkins

I'm not part of the cozy collective, but am glad I have properly fastened joints on my ailerons and rudder hinges.

Please don't tell me you're doing this for aesthetics...

i think i would say yes to that, i explain..

i had the bolts in as per plans and was ready to mico but i could tell already that i was going to have to remove the bolts in order to do that:mad:

so i thought to my self "if i had used jd's bolts I'd be micoing now:p "

so in just a minute or two had the click bonds in and the bolts out.

(I'm sure they are stronger then the stock application when it comes to riping out)imo

Steve M. Parkins

I have been reading about these click-bonds but haven't seen one "live" so I do not fully understand how they work compared to traditional bolts. Even after looking at the cartoon on the Girrrls website I still don't get it.

Does anyone have a "picture-tutorial" or any other description for noobs like my self?

Where will I use bolts and where would I use click-bonds, and why?

Thanks in advance...

Erlend Moen
Norway
Cozy MK IV #1556 - Chapter 16
http://cozy.ljosnes.no

The Cozy Girrrls site shows how to use the click bonds to attach something to the surface of the fiberglass.

I used click bonds on my plane's aileron hinges by inserting them through the top skin of the wing.

Here's how I did it: I drilled the holes per plans, and got everything lined up correctly. Then I inserted the click bonds through the holes from the outside and traced around the heads on the top skin with a Sharpie. I removed the click bonds and used a router attachment on my Dremel to route out the area inside the circles so that the click bonds would sit flush with the top skin. I added 2 bid to the inside of the wing to provide more strength to make up for what I removed on the outside. I floxed the click bonds into place and put 1 bid over them from the outside, and peel plied. I put hardware store nuts on the inside to pull the click bonds nice and tight, squeezing out any excess flox, and squeegeed.

I think they turned out great! I attached the other half of the hinges to my aileron this past weekend, and last night we attached it to the wing and I'm REALLY pleased with the result. I took a few pictures and will post them if I remember. :o

You can see a similar process on Wayne Hick's site, even though he later changed his mind due to aesthetics. I don't think he routed the top skin as I did. :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.