Most Canard hours flown in a single day or nonstop.

mcjon77

Hi guys,

One of the things that has always impressed me and inspires me is reading the trip reports that are posted on the net, and especially on ez.org.

That leads to my two questions:

1) What is the most time you have spent flying your canard in a single day? When planing for these long cross countries, what are your personal hourly limits?

2) What is the most time (not distance) you have spent in the air non-stop? I know Dick Ruttan and Mike Melville must have flown their Long-ezs for 12+ hours at a time, but I am more interested in when mere mortals like the rest of us can do. :D I have always wanted to know how long the average canardian can last before you need to land for fuel/rest/potty break. Does your canard have bigger tanks than you?

Thanks for your help and info.

Longest non-stop: 12 hours

When I lived in Calif, I flew back and forth from San Jose to Toledo 6 or 7 times a year (2100 miles). When I fly eastbound, I would typically go high (17,5000ft) and catch a good tail wind (50 - 100 kts). The trip normally took about 8-9 hours. But the longest was almost 12 hours (poor tail wind)

West bound, I would need to stay low (fighting head winds), The trip west would take about 12 - 15 hours, and normally 1 fuel stop.

PASSANGER WARNING - Limit the flight times to about 3 - 4 hours. The front seat is a lot more comfortable for long duration than the rear seat.

YELLOW CONTRAILS - You'll need a really large bladder OR the ability to leave Yellow Contrails (Relief tube)

CABIN HEAT - The plans exhaust heat muff won't get it, you need a heat source that can fight against -50 Deg F OAT (Oil Heat)

FUEL: When I'm SOLO, I have a fuel tank that I strap into the rear seat to give me extra range. The tank holds about 25 gallons (

NOTE - My original tank is for sale, I'm making a new rear seat tank (The old one won't fit now that I installed an oil heater in the thihgh support).

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Eze - 8 hours, 1400 miles, 31 gallons non-stop from Fort Worth to Reno (Truckee). Tim LaDolche let me sleep on his kitchen floor during the races. Hope to do it again soon!

Eze- 8 hours in the saddle this year going to Oshkosh, twenty minutes on the ground waiting for a break in the frontal system marching across Iowa, and a couple of hours holding before and at Osh. Could have landed to wait but was enjoying the cool air and scenery and flight time at near-idle. Interesting to observe the plane's low speed personality again.

Herding cattle in a helicopter was routinely 12-14 hours in a day, with refuel and a fresh beef and bean taquito every three hours. The taquitos were fresh in that usually the calf they came from was running around the camp site at sunup that morning.

My better half is planning more trips in the plane these days. One grandkid is 1.5 and the others are 4.5 hours away. Her limit is about 2 hours.

While a little oil vapor has been useful and interesting observing the airflow patterns around the aft end, i haven't chosen to introduce the effects of a relief tube. When solo, empty (clean) oil cans or water bottles work fine. I know, too much information.

Joining in on the GIB (guy in back) theme, it has worked well to limit first rides for non-eze or non pilot types to 15 minutes. When first flying the plane my wife finally asked when I was going to take her for a ride - and we went out right then for a 10 minute flight over one of our son’s ball games. Perfect. Leaving her wanting more instead of overwhelmed worked well.

Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze

Downdraft Plenums

Quickcowls

There was supposed to be Anhedral???

http://www.ezchronicles.com/blogger.html

25.0 hours in a B-1B:D

Well, maybe it isn't really a canard but it does have canards...sortof:)

No Canard but 27.7 in a B-52H, 4.2 Hours in a Cherokee 140. I'll do another 6.5 hours tomorrow, then maybe 2.5 in my 140 on my way to Springfield, Mo. After about 3 hours its time to stretch if able, then maybe you can squeeze another 2 hours, IF you can potty.

-Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

My cousin and I back in july 90 flew my Longeze from Chino to Omaha Nebraska, Stopped in Pueblo Colorado and a Hastings Nebraska. Took 11 hours flying time. We took off as the sun was comming up and landed about 1/2 before it went down. My Cozy IV should beat that when I get it done. Steve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Waiter, at 17,5000ft on a 75or 80 degree day isn't it 25 or 30 degrees at that altitude? How do you deal with the cold for such a long period of time?

A darn good heater :-)

http://www.iflyez.com/oil_heat.shtml

The link above i my original heat system. My new heater is installed under the rear seat thigh support.

You can read about some of it here:

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Retrofit_JAN_08.shtml

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com