Bubblesw, bubbles, everywhere

aviator_edb

Agreed ..... what are you using for brushes?

chip brushes from Harbour Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4181

They normally have them on sale for $6.99. I use them probably 6 times until the get too stiff to be useful... or I forget to clean them.

I only use white vinegar to clean epoxy related stuff. I keep a small plastic mixing tub (with lid) about half full with vinegar. When done with a brush, I jab the bristles a dozen or so times in the bottom to help brake up the epoxy covered bristles. Then let them soak while I clean up the rest of the tools. Then I wrap the brush in a paper towel to dry for a couple days. I probably have 4-5 brushes in various uses at any given time. A couple drying, a couple ready to be used, a couple hard as rocks because I forgot to clean them. whoops. I use lots of Z fold bathroom style paper towel. Years ago Mom picked up a ton of that stuff from a business that was going bankrupt.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I can't believe that none are responding in agreement or disagreement to the thought that the layup is wet. Look just to the left of the ruler and notice the epoxy saturated area. I still say that it is hard to evaluate a layup from just a photo. I would also like to say that it is hard to say that the photo is of a layup that is not excessively epoxy rich.

I think you need to evaluate your squeegee technigue and that could help your bubble problem and your wet layup problem.

Another thing that bugs me is those that encourage extensive use of peel ply. That has been discussed extensively previously and possibly should be reserved for another thread. I'll just say that peel ply should only be used in areas that are known to have critical bonds in their future. If not, the peel ply use often adds weight to the layup in an effort to create a pleasing surface.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

I... I still say that it is hard to evaluate a layup from just a photo.

Not just hard, but essentially impossible. I've had people send me pictures of their layups and then I've seen the actual thing. Many times, I've had diametrically opposed opinions as to what was going on after seeing the real thing. I don't even bother to attempt to diagnose layup issues from pictures anymore. Light angle, focus - there's just no utility in it.

Another thing that bugs me is those that encourage extensive use of peel ply... I'll just say that peel ply should only be used in areas that are known to have critical bonds in their future. If not, the peel ply use often adds weight to the layup in an effort to create a pleasing surface.

Being one of those people that encourages peel ply usage everywhere (and believe me, Scaled peel plies EVERYTHING), you are stating your opinion about weight - that's not a fact. In my opinion, you can get a lighter layup with peel ply usage - I find that I do a much better job of squeeqeeing out excess epoxy and air, while ensuring a good surface for both secondary bonding and finishing. Jury's out - until someone does a honest weight study, it's all handwaving.

Dave,

I appreciate your comments on the excess epoxy. I was focusing on figuring out bubbles and not on the excess epoxy when I did this layup. I had left some areas intentionally wet to see what would happen. It turns out that with an overly wet or squeegied surface I still ended up with the same issue.

Wanted to let folks know. Thanks for all the comments. I got some dual with another cozybuilding in New England and it was a HUGE help.

My basic problem boiled down to my wet out procedure and going to fast.

After the dual, I went home and tackled F-28 and that went great. The part came out looking really good. I am moving on....

Wanted to let folks know. Thanks for all the comments. I got some dual with another cozybuilding in New England and it was a HUGE help.

My basic problem boiled down to my wet out procedure and going to fast.

After the dual, I went home and tackled F-28 and that went great. The part came out looking really good. I am moving on....

Who turneda offa thea bubble machine? :rolleyes: (for those old enough to remember LW)

Congratulations. The skill you learned will keep you in good stead throughout.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D