Neverquit Posted October 26, 2009 Share Posted October 26, 2009 I've been keeping my progress to myself lately jumping from one thing to another. Can't say I'm at a particular chapter. But I just wanted to post something to show that some mods are easy, fast, and add a personal touch. This is certainly not my idea. But here's how I did it: Cut out the shape of hole you want. This one is almost 6 -12. Make it so there's remaining glass and foam around it to retain some original strength. I did mine when the strakes were upside-down. I reinforced around the area with 2 extra UND tapes and one extra BID reaching from bulkhead to fuse then from bulkhead to bulkhead. Not real science but comforting for me. I installed the 1/4 inch Lexan similar to the rear canopy windows. I sanded the lexan edge about 3/4 deep both sides (be sure to make the Lexan 3/4 in. larger than the opening around the perimeter) and added 1 layer of UND. I installed them in the cutout and filled the voids with flox. The Lexan is not as thick as the 3/8 strake surface so the flox is feathered to the edges. You might get away with micro as well but I think the flox will be better to bond the outside glass to the inside. I didn't save the perimeter cutout like the plans canopy windows. Instead I added 1 inch then 2 inch BID tape around the perimeter and peel plied on the inside. I added weights to the windows to get a good close bond to the outside of the strake. This whole project took me about 5 hours to do both sides. The most difficult was digging out that foam for the bottom flange. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.