Web-Slinger LIVES!!!!

On October 3rd, 2009, (10 years and twenty three days after completing the first bulkheads), N85TT ( aka: “Web-Slinger” ) took to the sky for it’s maiden flight from Tampa Executive Airport (VDF).

It was a dead calm clear morning. Vance Atkinson was at the controls. I asked him to perform the evaluation flight, as I’m a low-time pilot, and felt it would be prudent to have an experienced pilot fly it first. They don’t come much more experienced than Vance. I was considering performing First Flight myself, but on the advice of a good friend, and objectively reviewing my qualifications, I was able to tuck my ego in my pocket and take the conservative course. Vance taxied out to the active runway, made a high-speed pass and lifted the nose to see if it felt right, gave us a “thumbs-up”, then did it for real. (Hole-eee-crap!!!!) It was one of the most enjoyable experience of my life, despite the “Comet Kohoutek” sized lump in my throat. I’ve never fathered a child, (that I know of... but then again, 11 years in the Navy.... buy who knows?). I think I understand a bit more about the feeling.

As it turned out, no surprises. (Thank whatever Gods which may exist.). It flew stable and as advertised. There were cooling problems above 115kts at full power (surprise!!), and a slight tendency to roll to the right (a skinny washer should fix it). But, all in all, a great first showing!

There are a “butt-load” of people which have been instrumental in helping me complete this quest, but I’m loathe to list them, due to the risk of forgetting to put one of you on and make you feel “left out”, (my memory truly sucks.). Hopefully, you know who you are. On the other hand, I must take this opportunity to thank Debbi, my wife, (aka: Epoxy Lady to the Jimi Hendrix tune). She’s been lock-step with me in this quest, because she likes aviation and travel, but mostly........ because I wanted it. Although skeptical at first, once she saw my conviction, and met the people in this community, and saw the Canard and Main Spar on the tub, it was not a far reach for her to lean over to me on the couch while we’re watching TV, and lovingly whisper in my ear: “Aren’t you going to work on the plane tonight?”.

I’ve been privileged to serve in the US Navy Submarine Community for a number of years, (which I hold in great esteem). Great bunch of guys. And I can wholeheartedly say, this group of people of “Canardian-ilk” have been the most interesting, diverse, helpful, and fun bunch of people I’ve come across. I'm am, and have been proud to be a part of them.

To those coming behind me:

If you like working with your hands, like figuring things out, and don’t mind criticism and trail-blazing, this is the place for you! Decide for yourself... but not too quickly, because this has been a hellacious journey, and looking back.... well worth it. No Regrets. None.

I’m getting vaklempt....

At your service.....

post-54-14109017082_thumb.jpg

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Congratulations Jerry,

You're going to get 2 thrills as you progress. The first was watching your bird take flight for the first time. The second is when you're on-board for YOUR first flight in it. Trust me when I tell you, you will never forget these days of personal accomplishment.:thumbsup:

Wonderful Jerry! You have been a great part of our building community, and you helped me understand early on that I could do this. Your plane is really cool, it looks different and has a cool name.

Andy

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

What do you like best on your plane?

It's ability to fly! :D:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

Seriously, if I had to pick one item, it would be the forward hinged canopy. EZ loading. Less likely to pop open in flight.

#2 would be the Cozy Girrrl Strakes. The elbow room is nice.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

I know you're having a ball with Web Slinger, but how about ending the anticipation and update your web page with some pics and a more in depth report!?!!?

I plan to. As luck would have it, the day after everyone went home from First Flight, I came down with something which nearly put me in the hospital. (It couldn't have been the Swine Flu. Nothing tasted like pork.:D )

Took the week of work. Fever broke yesterday. I'll spare the details, but I never want to get that sick again without dying.

Stay tuned........

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

The first flight is exciting to say the least. Even though it's happy times, it is stressful. Could've been just enough to wear you down and keep you from being able to fight off the bug.

That's over and it's about time to have some fun! :D

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

I plan to. As luck would have it, the day after everyone went home from First Flight, I came down with something which nearly put me in the hospital. (It couldn't have been the Swine Flu. Nothing tasted like pork.:D )

Took the week of work. Fever broke yesterday. I'll spare the details, but I never want to get that sick again without dying.

Stay tuned........

Fever, chills, veins popping out...I think that was that recent radioactive spider bite. Geeesh! Didnt you look for that? Don't worry your spider sense will start coming to you.:D

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

• 5 weeks later...

Seems like just yesterday you were running through the yard with your newly completed canard.. congratulations... it give people like me back in the earlier stages hope

Stuart

It sure does!

The way I kept motivated, was to do my best to have fun building each piece, and then congratulate myself after each step. Tried not to think too much about flying the plane. As I've said: Eat the elephant one bite at at time. Eventually, it's time for dessert. I also never read too far ahead in the Plans. These 2 methods helped keep me from getting discouraged. Building a Cozy is a real challenge, but very do-able. It will be an accomplishment you'll be proud of the rest of your Life.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

• 4 weeks later...