Its a bird its a plane its not a kit!

Duplicate post.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start by addressing the need for a slow "stall speed" and keeping the plane slow.

Does the Tera-f-ugly meet LSA?

Hmmm, what about the new Sampson Switchblade Terry got involved in. Is it an LSA?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Well, except for the Bataleur, Revmaster AD200, IBIS, and Terrafugia, just off the top of my head.

Talk about forgeting things, thanks :( . I forgot about the Bataleur and he's in my Canard DVD set (duh), and my conversation with the Revmaster guys. When I talked with them several years ago they had a couple of them, but not in flying condition at the time. You could order a kit for about $30,000.

The IBIS stall speed is 95 km/h (52 kts) - 59 mph, not LSA, plus the fact they do not sells plans to folks in the US anymore. He and Nat had a lot in common with folks always wanting to make changes to their designs.

The Terrafugia, I have to agree is not one of the better looking canard designs around. My hats off to them for actually going out and making it happen though. If it'll become a commercial success, we'll see.

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

Again, thanks for all the posts! There will be times when I will ask advice and hope it is not misconstrued as wanting someone else to do my thinking for me.

This is definitely a proof of concept. I am trying to do my best to keep it feasible other wise there would be not point. I do believe the frame is of sound construction and when joined with the fuselage they would form a strong composite structure. When I reach the end of the virtual build, and it did not end up in the virtual dumpster, then it would go on to the professionals.:cool: I create complex structures everyday and understand the need for engineering. Certainly not an uncommon process and one I follow on my multi million dollar projects.

Perhaps the emphasis of this build should not be just to reduce build time but to create a construction method that would appeal to those outside of this forum. If I see one more RV I may puke.:irked:

Well back to the build...

If the tube frame was ordered and arrived on a Monday and the control components arrived on the same day then it took me three hours to get the controls installed. I had the template for the inst panel and constructed it prior to the arrival of the frame. If I constructed the inst panel per plans and it took me 4 hours then I have 7 hours invested in the project so far. I think the next items to install would be the gear so I can get it on to a rolling platform. I would construct the main gear legs as per plans. The frame is already prepared to accept the main and nose gear. With the nose gear I will install the lift motor as well. (Advice) Anyone see a problem with that order?

I should start a parts list along with prices and weights. Don't want to build a 2000# hundred thousand dollar doe-doe-bird

Keith.

Every airplane concept started with an idea, then a drawing. I seem to remember a guy named Burt Rutan sketching out an idea on a napkin in a cafe right down the road from me when I was out at George AFB in Mojave. Some kinda plane that flew 'round the world on one tank of gas. That didn't work out so well if I recall correctly. ;) Wait, didn't he send Mike into space? I guess my recall ain't so good as I get older...

Those CAD concepts are too cool. Maybe it's like the Glastar? (Now sportsman) Steel frame, fiberglass shell, aluminum wings. It's totally possible to build something different that works and works well.

Again, thanks for all the posts! There will be times when I will ask advice and hope it is not misconstrued as wanting someone else to do my thinking for me.

This is definitely a proof of concept. I am trying to do my best to keep it feasible other wise there would be not point. I do believe the frame is of sound construction and when joined with the fuselage they would form a strong composite structure. When I reach the end of the virtual build, and it did not end up in the virtual dumpster, then it would go on to the professionals.:cool: I create complex structures everyday and understand the need for engineering. Certainly not an uncommon process and one I follow on my multi million dollar projects.

Perhaps the emphasis of this build should not be just to reduce build time but to create a construction method that would appeal to those outside of this forum. If I see one more RV I may puke.:irked:

Well back to the build...

If the tube frame was ordered and arrived on a Monday and the control components arrived on the same day then it took me three hours to get the controls installed. I had the template for the inst panel and constructed it prior to the arrival of the frame. If I constructed the inst panel per plans and it took me 4 hours then I have 7 hours invested in the project so far. I think the next items to install would be the gear so I can get it on to a rolling platform. I would construct the main gear legs as per plans. The frame is already prepared to accept the main and nose gear. With the nose gear I will install the lift motor as well. (Advice) Anyone see a problem with that order?

I should start a parts list along with prices and weights. Don't want to build a 2000# hundred thousand dollar doe-doe-bird

can you build in a door ? i hate denting up my strakes getting in and out.

and # 2 a biggie for me in washington.....flots, plz add this option

Steve M. Parkins

I installed the landing gear. Now the airframe can roll and is off the ground. I used the EZ Nose lift for the nose gear and I modified the form of attachment of the rear gear to the airframe. I did not modify the Fiberglass gear legs or the method of reinforcing them. They are per plans. Well except the tube on the FG bracket will not be floxed and bonded to the gear bracket. See the detail. I will say again this need to be engineered but the concept is sound.

Keith.

I used a 4130 5/8" tube to span the gear leg bracket as per plans (CH9). But its not dimpled and a little longer. It runs to both the front and rear frame attach lugs. Then between the frame and the gear bracket is a bushing. I ran a bolt through the 4130 tube and frame attach lugs to secure the gear bracket.

Posted Image

Keith.

you have a bolt,sham on you. 150 buck if you use a rod with end thead you can save 50 bucks.

the bolt can not be removed after the fire wall is in ??

i drilled a hole in my fire wall to use plan old tubing to hole and aline things and will install the bolts later.

Steve M. Parkins

As per steve's observation, Here is the revision for the Main gear attachment through the firewall. I moved the rear attach lug back to be flush with the rear frame tube. Now the bolt will go through the firewall and thread onto a semi blind nut welded on to the forward attach lug. The 4 bushings were increased in size to accommodate the additional space.;)

Also as per mfryer's observation: The FG gear leg can be slipped through one side and out the other. ;)

Thanks all for your comments.:)

Posted Image

Keith.

But then you would have known that had you built this in the REAL world (or even read a set of plans.)

Next up ...... why don't you show us how you get the center Section Spar in place? :rolleyes:

I'll check back when you have your 'virtual' 40 flown off.

I now return to the 'real' builders.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

What about moving the gear holding gussets at the firewall to the forward face of what amounts to the rear gear bulkhead and welding the nut (or preferably riveting a anchor nut) to the aft face of those gussets. You will then be able remove the gear retaining bolts through the forward gear bulkhead replacement and you won't have to penetrate the firewall.

I'm sure that 1/2"ers can be found. I don't like the idea of welding a nut here, as the hardness of nuts (from what I understand) is specifically designed to deform slightly when torqued. I would hate to see this hardness(?) modified by the heat of the welding process. If you really are convinced that welding is the way to go, why not make the gusset thicker and tap it??

In all cases other than the self-locking anchor nut you will need some sort of safety wiring to prevent or identify rotation of the bolt. (might not be a bad idea even with the self-locking persuasion.)

Just some ideas

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Also as per mfryer's observation: The FG gear leg can be slipped through one side and out the other. ;)

Yes, but if you wanted to remove the strut at some later point, you'd have to remove the wheels and brake calipers too. Maybe those struts below the gear could be removable? Just a thought.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Rich, I guess it could go either way. I agree with not welding the nut. I think your right and it should not be subject to that kind of heat. I have showed the attachment both ways, from the front and the back. I think the penetration through the fire wall may be the deciding factor.

Phil, yes that is true you would have to remove the wheel, brake, axle on one side. The lower support could be removable. I will make a note of it for the engineer.

Thanks for all your comments.

Keith.

Looks good on paper. (electrons) I think that Velocity uses short push-pull cables from firewall to aileron bell cranks. Jeff Russell tried the same thing with the Aerocanard. He didn't continue that either because he sold the company or found the resistance to be too great.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the resistance, to movement, that that length of cable would cause-- as well as the added weight.

In this application, all you need is a pulling action, not a pushing action since the rudders only deploy outward. They are returned by a relatively weak spring in the winglet as well as air loads. (there is an other relatively light spring at the rudder pedals to keep some tension on the cables.

Are you purposing to use a howitzer to kill an ant??

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D