Interesting relocation of winglets

ColinB

yes ..... i do. I just expected better performance.

I would imagine that is an airframe limitatio, yes?

I would assume so. We know what happens when one assumes...

I was just thinking in comparison to the Berkut 540 with a Vne of 250kts (if I remember correctly.)

A LE jet can cruise at 25,000 ft., with a TAS of 315 kts and still be just at the Vne of 210 kts (Ignoring all the other issues that occur at those TAS's). You can't do that with the Berkut 540 - you might get up that high, but you won't be anywhere near your Vne of 250 kts. At 8k ft, where you'll get your best TAS at 75% power, you'll be at 290 kts. TAS, but I guarantee you that you won't get an IAS of 250 kts in level flight at that altitude, so that'll only happen in a dive. So the jet is clearly faster in level flight, but at a WAY higher fuel burn.

Jets, however, make no sense whatsoever in non-pressurized aircraft - the only reason to do it is because you have more $$$ than you know what to do with and think it's really cool. Which it might be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed on all counts but one.

In terms of the airframe, a Vne of 210 will remain constant whether you are running a jet or a prop.

I just was surprised that the airframe wasn't rated higher than that.

(Disclaimer:) I'm not an engineer which is why I turn to you, Marc when I get into the guestion of modifications. That said, based on my limited knowledge on the subject, if you strapped that jet on a Berkut airframe, I would assume (yeah ... I know) that with the higher Vne, you could have greater capabilities.

Granted, in a cross country race, the prop would be the likely winner with fewer pit stops.

I don't know ........ I;m just thinking out loud. :)

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

... based on my limited knowledge on the subject, if you strapped that jet on a Berkut airframe, I would assume (yeah ... I know) that with the higher Vne, you could have greater capabilities.

Agreed. _IF_ it's based on airframe limitations. If based on flutter, then higher altitudes and higher TAS's will be an issue. The Vne's of these aircraft were set with the assumption that they'd be flown relatively low - 15K ft. or below, 99.99% of the time, and with normally aspirated engines, so no one paid attention to Mach effects or TAS effects when setting Vne. All bets are off when going high, due to these effects.

So a provisional "agreed".

• 2 weeks later...

What ever was I thinking Tom? :rolleyes:

Ok then, it does take 'snarky' to the next level I must confess.

I hope it has a very good canopy latching system, but at least if it departs in flight, it wont go through the prop! It may however interfere with the passengers back of head as it does a flip, but Im sure both pilot and passenger would be wearing 'bone domes' fighter style.

Bruce

but Im sure both pilot and passenger would be wearing 'bone domes' fighter style.

...which will keep their heads looking nice for the relatives when they get scraped off...

Does look nice though.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

This is the "classified" airframe mentioned in previous posts....the one in Florida. Different winglets.

Lance, You make that jerky recipe I sentcha? V says you didn't yet. Get on it! ;) LadyMare likes the gun I gave her. She didn't get the Glock 27 though. I'm too cheep. :cool:

These guys are all gonna be sooooooo JEALous when you fly yer jet!!!! They already are, you can tell with all the naysayin'.

I've already got my GEntex Bone bucket colors all picked out!!! I also got my O2 mask ready since I know we be crusin' at 25k plus... yeehaw!