Kent's Long-EZ project

Of lot of medicine like that is intended to remove symptoms, not solve the underlying issue, so... no surprise that the underlying problem sometimes rears its ugly head. Lots of money in drugs like that though, so they won't change much anytime soon.

On the subject of crosswinds: I love 'em. Now, I've nearly no canard time, so I've only flown them in conventional types. But I enjoy the challenge. I fly them as taught: crab down final to the flare, then rudder to point straight down the runway and wing-down to prevent drifting sideways. Works great if you have enough rudder authority.
I flew some crosswind circuits in a C-172N a few months ago, crosswind was 20-25kts. There was no-way of bringing that airplane straight with rudder - maybe that's why the max demonstrated X-wind in the POH is 15kts? Anyway it worked fine easing down on one main, then the next, with plenty of aileron into wind. Not recommended for low-time or fair-weather pilots!
I was fortunate to learn to fly in an area that had regular strong westerly winds blowing through (fohn winds, a 'Norwester' here in NZ), so we got some great crosswind training flights in. Being on short-final with the nose pointed at the FBO (club rooms) was just another great day of flying!

Edited by Voidhawk9
  • Like 2

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

I would urge anyone taking statins, or suspecting heart problems to look at the Youtube channels "Low Carb Down Under" and search Youtube for Dr. Nadir Ali".

I have a friend from my Air Force days, tall, slim, trim, who had heart bypasses.  His doctor prescribed a low fat diet and statins.  His A1c (blood sugar) went up.  Now he is a full-blown diabetic (A1c >6.5) and his doc wants to put him on a more powerful statin but yeah, his LDL came down!  My low carb docs on Youtube are very credible and this is just what they say can happen on statins---lots of bad side effects and they do not appreciably improve mortality.  In fact, they increase mortality [bad!] in old guys like me.  Dr. Robert Lustig, also on Youtube, will scare you straight about sugar and fructose.

My G.P. says  "don't listen to the internet" but here you are, listening to the internet.  Ha!  I judge the doctors above as very honest and credible.  They are not selling services or diet plans.  OTOH, the drug companies are selling $1billion in statins.  Who do you trust?

• Like 2

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I examined my VDO oil pressure sender which seemed to be sending high readings.  It has two wipers that (I suppose) measure a change in resistance as they move along the coils.  I saw a bit of wear on one coil (pic 2).  Anyway, replacing the sender brought the pressure back to usual.  I also tapped on the crankcase where the oil pressure relief ball lives.  That might have had an effect too.

One time I landed out during a cross country because of a high OP reading.  The FBO was very helpful--looked for metal in the oil, cut open the filter, may have even examined the relief ball.  Nothing found really, so I took off gingerly and returned home.   Changed the sensor later as I recall.  I surmise that a Lycoming has very little way to develop high oil pressure.  About the only thing is something jamming the relief ball which is unlikely.  I questioned if I'd let a plastic oil container ring get in the crankcase but didn't see any evidence.   Low OP is another matter.  Lots of ways to get that.

Had about 750 hours on that sender mounted on the engine mount tubes near the firewall

VDO wipers.JPG

VDO wear.jpeg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Saw this post from an RV-guy who lost oil pressure on final (low power).  It appears he had a small ball of metal keeping the relief ball off its seat. (H/T Craig in Ga.)  He reminds not to use a magnet to remove the relief ball.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 8.42.53 AM.png

-Kent

So, I am trying to keep this simple for me and you:  Your blood should not have any small dense LDL (sdLDL).  sdLDL is spent LDL that has exhausted its load of triglycerides i.e. fats  (Trig).  It it not recognized by the liver and it hangs around in the blood.  But sdLDL particles are so small, they leak into the one-cell -thick endothelium liner of the coronary arteries where it is glycated by sugar and oxidized.  Macrophages in the blood love the glycated, oxydized sdLDL particles and engulf them.  This leads to the spongy coronary plaques that burst, form a clot,  then you're dead.

The best measure of whether you have sdLDL in your blood is your triglyceride levels.  When Trig is >132 most of the LDL is sdLDL.  When Trig. is <89 almost none of the LDL it is sdLDL.   Ordinarily, LDL is good, as long as it is not sdLDL

After being on a low carb, high fat diet for a couple months, my Trig. have gone from the 120 range to 105 so I am halfway there.

This info comes from the vids below.  There is a lot to understand but I believe I am starting to understand it.  I hope it helps you guys.  🙂

• Like 1

-Kent

Post your triglyceride levels, or PM them to me, or email Kjashton at Vnet.net.  I would like to know what others are seeing.  You should go back and watch Professor Sikaris' videos above--he is very easy to listen too and gives about the best explanation of LDL I have seen

Saw this stick idea on HBA (h/t Jan Detlefsen) (pic)  I think I will try to make one out of hardwood and offset the knob to clear the fuselage side.   I was using a clunky DPDT switch in the armrest but I think I can use a simple MOM-off-MOM switch in the stick that actuates little relays to reverse the trim motor.

grip_square.jpg

-Kent

I am going to periodically bump the Open-ez plans to increase awareness they are available.    Do not agonize about the size of the templates, or start asking about CAD files.   I built a great EZ from these paper files. The templates are just fine and messing with CAD will just waste your time.   Print the drawings and the manual (available below), and order a foam, glass and epoxy kit from Spruce.  Order well ahead on parts like landing gear struts, canopy, nose lift,  and bits from  http://www.cozygirrrl.com/aircraftparts.htm  In two years or less, you should have an EZ if you kept the parts coming in and worked on part every day.  Figure about $40K with an engine.  Here's the zip file

Builder's manual available here:  http://www.aryjglantz.com/p/documents.html

Open-ez forum on this website:

https://www.canardzone.com/forums/forum/394-open-ez/

• Like 1

-Kent

Here is an EZ nose plan I was working on.  This is a pic but I can export it in various formats.  In order to build a nose that is symmetrical in a sideview, the nose wheel pivot has to be relocated lower; this also give a little more positive deck angle for takeoff.  I also moved the pivot forward some to allow more space for a nose lift and it uses different metal plates to mount the noselift and uses a Cozy nosewheel.  The second pic is one saved from the web.  See in the 2nd pic that the designer tried to make the nose more shark-like.  This puts the pivot point higher in the nose .   The 2nd idea is usable but I wanted more space for the noselift and a good-sized battery box. 1277489847_ScreenShot2022-02-22at9_55_59AM.thumb.png.230e64a11f0c69be7c87354561c73b46.png

EZNose.jpg

-Kent

44 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Ignorant question here:  To what extent does the height of the point of the nose affect aerodynamics, particularly lift at various smallish angles of attack?

Unless you get very ridiculous, to an extremely small extent.

We see a lot of EZs with longer noses.  This is one I built (pic).  I put 75 hours on it and didn't notice anything untoward.  It seemed stable enough and slipped OK but I never flew the original-nose models so I can't compare.  This one had the nose gear pivot in the original position.  There are some pics of the bare fuselage and my mockups early in this thread.  I managed to get a 28AH? battery in the nose and a 6AH? backup battery but it was a very tight squeeze.

3E3DAB1C-A180-4B2F-A6A9-52AF9405B5A6_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Hi all:

The snarkiness aside, I understand, that at our speeds, think DC-3, not F-16 - for aerodynamics.

My readings has led me to this conclusion.

My $0.02...

Regards,

James

James Russell

Electric Shadows, Inc.

841 Old Gardiner Rd.

Sequim, WA 98382 USA

• 2 weeks later...

Pallies, what is your LP(a) score?  ["LP little a"].   https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=167&contentid=lpa_cholesterol   Don't know?  Neither do I but I am going to find out.  There are several important cholesterol tests that the docs don't test for unless they are current on the latest cholesterol research.  I've had two blockages/stents and my docs have never tested me for LP(a) or the one below.  I read that about 1/3 to 1/4 of the population has this genetic propensity to coronary artery disease so having a bad LP(a) increases risk quite a bit.

Another thing that isn't routinely tested is LDL fractionation.  The LDL number you get on a traditional test lumps various sized LDL particles into one number but it is the small dense LDL (sdLDL) that seems to be critical to CAD and some people have a lot of it.  The fractionation test separates and counts the sdLDL particles.  Lots of videos about this.  You can walk into Quest or Labcorp and get the test for about $200-240.  Here's the Quest link  https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics.com/test/test-detail/92145/advanced-lipid-panel-cardio-iq?

One reason they don't do the test is that most insurance doesn't pay for it.  PM me if you have had these tests and what your results were

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a question today about overhauling cylinders.  What I go by is that one overhaul after a run-out is probably OK.  Trying to do a 3rd overhaul might be asking for trouble.  They say aluminum dies a little with every heating cycle.  I don't know but that's what I go by.  I have 760 hrs on new Millenium cylinders but the two cylinders I removed, honed and re-ringed at home show less carbon in the exhausts than the two that were original to the engine.  I take that as burning less oil.  Pics in my thread somewhere.

Just watched this video by Dr. Ali on LP(a).  A high LP(a) level is widely seen as an early death sentence but Ali shows evidence that high LP(a)  "Lipoprotein a" confers resistance against cancer and rises when the body is healing from traumatic injury.  I like that guy.  Here at 19+00

https://youtu.be/zZH_zU1h7GM

-Kent

• 1 month later...

Just looking at this Piper Cherokee crash   http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/05/aircraft-structural-failure-piper-pa-28.html    Airplane appears to have been bought in October, crashed the next May.    Pilot:

93.9 hours (Total, all aircraft), 28.8 hours (Total, this make and model), 38 hours (Pilot In Command, all aircraft), 11.3 hours (Last 90 days, all aircraft), 8.1 hours (Last 30 days, all aircraft), 0.5 hours (Last 24 hours, all aircraft)

So the 38 hr PIC pilot had barely gotten used to the airplane. loaded it up with his three friends, then stooged around at 100 knots flying steep turns to look at a farm on the ground, it appears.  Lets the nose fall, exceeds VNE and pulls the airplane apart trying to recover.

Does the pilot syllabus still call for turns-around-a-point?  No matter, even that sort of practice probably did not prepare him for this maneuver.  It is easy when looking at stuff on the ground and yucking it up with buddies to forget about the fuselage angle in relation to the horizon.  Pilot allows the nose to drop in the steep-banked turn.  The aircraft is slow but still does not give any stall warning because there is less G being required than in a level turn.  Pilot notices, too late, that he has let the maneuver go to hell and tries to pull out.

A related situation often occurs when a pilot makes a high-speed low pass followed by a steep climb.  It is very impressive to watch but at the top, pilot may realize that his speed has fallen well below level-flight stall speed but his nose is still 20-30 degrees high.  This calls for a very ginger wing-over recovery without putting any G on the airplane--and coordinated.  Poorly done, a stall-spin can result close to the ground.

When stooging around close to the ground, it is important to always monitor the fuselage angle in relation to the horizon and not let it get too extreme.

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.15.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.15.21 AM.png

-Kent

talking to my friend about a loose nose wheel.  I have found that the aluminum spacers which hold the bearings tend to wear where they press against the tapered bearing (pic).   I have made some spacers out of steel in the past which wear better but the bearings might be tightened up by shaving a bit of metal off the spacers where they meet in the middle.  If they seem too tight, add a thin shim between the spacers.

Another problem was his CHT indications.  CHTs are pretty simple.  If you remove one wire-pair for a cylinder at the gauge, it should not show "OL" or open line between the two wire.  That would be a break in the wire-pair.  CHTs are either J- or K-curve (pic), usually J-curve for a CHT (pic). (H/T  http://thesensorconnection.com/blogs/neillm 

I pulled this J-curve chart from the same source (pic 3).  On a 25C day the voltage should be -1.239 millivolts.  Fun, huh.  🙂

IMG_0048.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 4.26.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 4.33.21 PM.png

-Kent

One of the best guys I've listened to regarding cholesterol is Professor Ken Sikaris, a pathologist at a big lab in Australia that does 15,000 tests a week(?) and he really knows his blood work.   Most people know that a person is diabetic at an HBA1c >6.5 but the risk of coronary artery disease starts between 5.5-6.5.  HbA1c is how much sugar has attached to your hemoglobin.  Hemoglobin cells are replaced every 3 months so it's a history of your blood sugar.  Mine was 5.6 recently.  The docs generally do not test for HbA1c unless they suspect you're diabetic but trouble starts way below the 6.5 diabetes threshold.

Then he relies a lot on triglycerides.  Trigs measure the amount of fat being transported in the blood by cholesterol.  Fats are good, cholesterol is good but high Trigs show the fat is not being metabolized properly.  The interesting thing is that high Trigs indicate you probably have a lot of small, dense LDL.  sdLDL is normal LDL which has been over-used.  sdLDL is not recognized by the liver and recycled.  It hangs around in the blood where it leaks into the arterial lining, macrophages engulf it, and plaques build up.  If your Trigs are less than about 88 mg/dl (1 mmol/L) you don't have much sdLDL, Sikaris says.  My Trigs have been in the 130 range but came down to 103 in my last test.  I have decided not to worry worry about LP(a) or cholesterol fractionation tests. 

BTW, I booked a cholesterol panel and HbA1c test online at a Labcorp near me.  $98 for the two tests which includes a doctor's order.  I was stupid about this stuff before, and it cost me two heart attacks. 

Sikaris "Does LCHF improve your blood tests?"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXkE8_NdAyQ      "Blood tests to assess your cardiovascular risk"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFRi-nH1v8    "Cholesterol - When to worry"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyzPEii-wo0

Note:  There are many sites for converting Australian mmol/L to U.S. mg/dl but the conversion factor is different for trigs than for total cho, HDL and LDL.

-Kent

Saw this good idea from Andrew Anunson for mounting an oil cooler. He says he will probably change the aluminum straps to steel but aluminum is probably OK.   From experience, these types of installation need a small bump or deflector on the cowl outside and ahead of the cooler to create a bit of low pressure.  However, I bet he will need some sort of device to block off the airflow in cold weather.  There is one in this thread.

OilCooler.JPG

-Kent

4 hours ago, mquinn6 said:

I like the idea - not keen on flex on those hoses  between the engine and that cooler.

Since the oil cooler is always (on Lycomings) mounted to the firewall, spar, cowl, or some other fixed component and not on the engine, how does this mounting scheme change the amount of flex on the flex hoses that connect the cooler to the engine? And why would flex on a flex hose be a problem?

On all of my certified airplanes the oil cooler is behind #4 cylinder on the engine.   My concern is a 45 degree elbow off the oil cooler vibrating (even with a flex hose).  I would guess an adel clamp would support - either on the airframe of the hose prior to the fitting - even on the engine mount.   (which there might be - but we cannot see it in the photo).   I have a friend with a Tecnam that has the oil cooler on the cowl just behind the port front opening - he has had to replace the oil cooler 2 times from the vibration issues

Edited by mquinn6

One time, USAir gave our Chapter cases of a super-expensive aircraft paint that had expired.  I grabbed a four gallon case and used it on a bunch of stuff over the years but on my last auto paint job, I had noticed it developed crystals in the paint that you could feel in the finished paint.  I used it maybe 10 years past the expiration date so I got a lot of use out of it. 

Anyway, I ran across this site selling a similar surplus primer.  If I were painting an airplane, I would try it.  I suspect it will be good for many years beyond the expiration and you will probably sand the primer anyway.   Paint of any kind is expensive these days!  This offer is $50 for 4 gallons.  I suspect it was $400+ new.

https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/paint/aerospace-paint-akzonobel-sandable-white/

https://johnsonsupplyco.com/product/464-3-1-epoxy-primer-surfacer/

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Just talking to my friend about brakes.  For the Cozy, Nat Puffer specified Heavy Duty Cleveland brakes, kit 199-152 (pic).  I had them for a about 400 hours and switched to Matco W51LT models.  Here is a good article on brakes  https://infinityaerospace.com/brake-kinetic-energy-requirements/

From the article above, the Clevelands tolerate 192,000 ft/lbs of kinetic energy per brake.  The Matcos tolerate 329,900 ft/lbs.  Grove makes a brake that tolerates up to 279,000 ft/lbs.  https://groveaircraft.com/5series.html   I'm not an engineer but the amount of kinetic energy the brake can absorb determines how soon it fades.  In addition to avoiding brake overheating and fading, you want to have the stopping power to skid the wheels, if needed.  My Clevelands were OK but did not offer enough clamping force that I could lock up the tire.  I never used them to the fade point but I never pushed them, either.

Matcos are bit harder to maintain and service but I can lock up the tire if needed.  Maybe the Groves would be a good intermediate option.  It appears they can be serviced like Clevelands which are pretty easy to service.

The gent who owns Infinity was very sick a few years ago and I am not sure he is still in business but he had the best prices on Matcos.

I flush my brake fluid every two years.  The fluid absorbs moisture and if it gets too old the moisture can boil in the hot caliper and you lose your brakes.  My friend learned that the hard way. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 6.30.17 PM.png

-Kent