Posted (edited)

Saw this idea for an instrument panel (pic 1).  The metal work is commendable but I think the visor is overkill and possibly a hazard in a crash.  Also there is extra metal around the leg-holes that is just unneeded weight.   Plans-Cozys do need a small visor though.  Until I glued this piece of black-painted Formica to my canopy (pic 2) , I had to look through the reflection of a dozen chrome switches.  It is held in place by 3M mounting tape.

My panel has an aluminum face on it.  I am finding the lower edges that rub against sweaty, salty legs are starting to show a bit of corrosion creeping under the paint.  Doing it again, I might use a Formica face vs. aluminum--much lighter.   Alternatively, I might make a two-piece panel so that half of it could be updated without removing the entire face. 

181156553_10225247274799630_6554024621247064797_n.jpg

5717089E-B80A-423D-AC94-4397F141835D_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Couple of things from the Z-burg Site: 

- This strut piece (pic 1) should be steel.  My EZ buyer and I found this out the hard way.  I suggest when mounting it with the flox to also wrap a layer of BID around it. 

- A couple of ideas for mounting an autopilot servo and roll trim.  H/T to those gents.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.16.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.29.46 AM.png

-Kent

Ellison all cleaned up.  I am still waiting on the Tilliotson diaphragms.

IMG_2218.JPG

-Kent

Saw this idea somewhere for compact exhaust nuts that use a 12-point socket.  A good idea because getting a socket on the regular nuts is a pain and sometimes involves grinding a socket.  I keep a little bag of them now with a 1/4" drive, 12 pt socket.   Mcmaster 90759A200  "Steel High-Torque 12-Point Flange Nuts".  It's good to used some anti-seize on the studs.  Nickel-based anit-seize seems to be the highest rated temp at 2400 def F.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/3458

My Ellison is back on the airplane and seems to run OK.  I have not had a chance to fly it yet.  Funny thing with these TBIs in that WOT is not always peak RPM.  Mine needs to be retarded about 1/4" at the lever to get peak.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 8.17.22 AM.png

-Kent

4 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

Saw this idea somewhere for compact exhaust nuts that use a 12-point socket...

That was me, on the COZY list :-). Although I got them from Summit Racing - they sell them (as does McM) in both 5/16-18 and 5/16-24, depending on which studs you have. WAY better than the standard nuts, which can be freaking impossible to get at with a wrench, particularly if you have in-cowl exhausts.