43 minutes ago, Countach74 said:

Kent- Really enjoy reading about all your experimenting!!!

That's sweet!  Thanks.   😍   (ha!)

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

A chap on FB asked about how to do an induction leak check.  I saw this interesting video on how to do one in conjunction with a compression check.  Essentially, you are pressurizing the cylinder and cracking open the intake valve which burps the pressure into the intake, checking for a leak with soapy water.

https://youtu.be/CfG4QGv-r64

Be careful with that prop.  I visually position the prop to TDC using marks on the flywheel and hold on for dear life as my wife slowly opens the compression gauge.  Usually there is no tendency for the prop to turn and I can wiggle it a bit around TDC to get the highest reading.

-Kent

Other induction-leak finding ideas:  Spray carb cleaner or propane from an unlit torch around the joints but, of course, the engine has to be running.  Idle will increase.

-Kent

I see that a chap on FB is trying to diagnose cooling with a wireless manometer (pic 1, $118).   He got a differential of 3.86" (pic 2) which is 30% less than the Lycoming-recommended 5.5" for an O-320 so it's no wonder the engine runs hot.  The chart (pic 3) looks official but I don't know what it comes from.  I would not have used the small piccolo tubes that came with the kit (pic 4).  I would have used longer ones (pic 5) and mounted them just above and below the cylinders--seems more accurate that way, and I would have plumbed the manometer to the cold side of the firewall or cold side of the baffles.

He says he has only 1" from the top of his cylinders to the cowl.  Visualize: air is blowing out of the fins (at what velocity--100 knots?).  One inch later it impacts the cowl and has to make a 90° turn.  What direction does the air go?  Aft, off to the side, towards the engine centerline?  Who knows.  My guess is that the small space is creating back pressure and not allowing the cylinders to evenly pass air through the fins.  Sharp turns, turbulence and nearby surfaces create cooling drag.

Here is my gripe with Facebook:  Most of the pics below are in the chap's thread but you would never find them with a search and they do not show up unless you click on every "view 8 more replies".  It is a dog-ass way to display and archive good information and a shame the canard community is divided among 4-5 FB sites.   😞

tags: cooling manometer pressure differential piccolo tubes

51g2XnVPdTL._SL1500_.jpg

89228470_10221946172629377_394801657365397504_n.jpg

87557775_2875371339195618_6744454283837571072_n-1.jpg

89351070_10221947444821181_6928700009944711168_n.jpg

IMG_1823 2.jpg

• Like 1

-Kent

I'm with you Ken.  Google searches find none of this stuff on Facebook.  And in a few months, to see any older posts, you'll have to scroll and scroll and scroll downward in the FB posts.  Don't know why everyone likes FB so much.

• Like 1

Saw a fellow on FB asking where to buy one of the old Brock gas caps (pic 1).  Actually, the one he has can be cleaned up, o-rings replaced, and be as good as new.  It was a nice light, inexpensive cap and replacing them is a chore.  However, they can be made (pic 2).  I did not hollow-out the inside like the Brock cap but it was not too hard to turn down a piece of flat aluminum.  Grind a small bit to make the o-ring groove.

89250088_2540232756082212_5436619708365275136_n.jpg

Fuel_cap_assy.jpg

-Kent

Saw an article about this chap (video) who is pushing a program to train pilots against synthetic aircraft for the military using a Berkut.  Interesting.  It seems the synthetic airplane is projected in the Berkut pilot's helmet and they fight it out in the air.  I wonder who is "flying" the synthetic airplane?  The Air Force is 2000 pilots short and having a hard time training enough people fast enough. 

I don't know why they just can't use simulators which are fantastic these days.  In about 1977 I went through an air combat program run by Vought in Dallas.  Vought had set up two spheres with a cockpit in each; the opposite aircraft was projected inside the sphere of the other.  They could set us up line abreast or head-on and we would go at it.  There was not much else to it except a crude ground projection and the opposing aircraft.   You would maneuver for a gun or heat-seeker kill.  An instructor could sit in a chair beside your cockpit and reverse the last 10 seconds of a fight and show you where you went wrong.  Even that was great training (and fun) for basic close-in air combat. 

• Like 1

-Kent

Being involved in flight simulators for various purposes for many years, I agree. There seems to be a general opinion from many pilots that simulators aren't useful for anything beyond procedures. But that hasn't been true for many years!

We've come a very very long way from Link trainers. 😏

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)