First Cozy materials order today!

lhendrick

If you have a compressor, that often will expell oil into the air too. I keep all those things outside of the shop.

I have my compressor remotely located and (via black pipe) plumb it to my shop area and upstairs into the garage. (Got tired of hauling it araound.)

...... Or pretty much any aerosol lubricant or cleaning agent. It'll drift and contaminate any surface in your shop.

Agreed! things like MEK, Acetone etc.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

If you have a compressor, that often will expell oil into the air too. I keep all those things outside of the shop.

Come on guys arnt we getting a little anal here. You put your aircompressor outside here and it wont run again until spring maybe. Mist in the air contaminating surfaces???? I guess I am not a purist I try and stay clean but I use grease as a release wax to fill nutplates so flox does not fill them they all work and nothing falls off so what is the big deal???

STeve build on

Oh yeah I stir my epoxy for exactly 2-minutes just like it says on the can. :bad: If you believe that I have swamp ground in Mojave for sale.

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Isn't wax in the build area a bad thing?

Wax in the layup; yes. Wax in the general vicinity; no.

Just as with any other layup, you protect your tabletop with butcher paper, plastic, etc. The wax on the tabletop is to help clean up the obsessional drop, spill, mess. It's so effective that any blunt edge can pop epoxy right off the top. I generally use a scraper.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Thanks all for the hazardous materials info.

With regard to the build today I draped the space surrounding my bench (in my two car garage) with plastic, put an oil filled radiator style heater inside and got the temperature up to 60-62F, with outside temp of 37F. Not hot enough yet, so I may still move into the basement where ambient temp is 62F, and I can probably get it to 70F with same heater. That may be warm enough to layup the bulkheads. To cure I'll build a smaller tent over the bench and add a small 1500 watt forced air heater from Home Depot to aim for 85F.

At least I can work in there now, so while waiting (still) for UPS Freight to deliver my ACS Chapter 4-7 order, I took a piece of 1/4" ply and cut out the temporary firewall to use in fuselage assembly.

I bought the 1x8 pine for the fuse jigs and tomorrow will cut them for the upper longeron set up.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Cozy Mark IV Started 2/12/2009 - Now on Chap. 6

http://web.me.com/lhendrick/Cozy_MkIV/Welcome.html

Come on guys arnt we getting a little anal here. You put your aircompressor outside here and it wont run again until spring maybe. Mist in the air contaminating surfaces???? I guess I am not a purist I try and stay clean but I use grease as a release wax to fill nutplates so flox does not fill them they all work and nothing falls off so what is the big deal???

STeve build on

Oh yeah I stir my epoxy for exactly 2-minutes just like it says on the can. :bad: If you believe that I have swamp ground in Mojave for sale.

Well, for the record, I DO stir EVERY pot of epoxy for the full two minutes, and and I attempt to scrape the sides of the mixing cup with the stir stick as well - per the plans. I use a count-down timer to make it easy to do.

EVERY cup, EVERY time. :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Well, for the record, I DO stir EVERY pot of epoxy for the full two minutes, and and I attempt to scrape the sides of the mixing cup with the stir stick as well - per the plans. I use a count-down timer to make it easy to do.

EVERY cup, EVERY time. :cool:

i do the 1 min and use bril cream for a release agent (not kids clay)

Steve M. Parkins

One way to track epoxy quality:

Take a 2x4 and drill 1/2" deep, .75" holes all down the board, spaced out every 2".

Then every time you do a layup, poor the extra epoxy into the hole and record the date on the board with a sharpy.

Now you have record of every batch of epoxy. Probably overboard (i don't do this), but a big confidence builder.

So, to close out the original posting :) regarding Preparing to Build, I received my Chapter 4-7 materials from ACS yesterday at 3:00PM, so the build is officially .....ON!

Only one damaged item, PVC foam for langing gear bulkheads was crushed and will be replaced. They also shorted me the fuel selector. All will be made right I'm sure by FedEX and ACS.

So this morning it's into the garage to cut the foam for F22,28, IP and Front Seatback.

Yesterday I cut the temporary firewall from plywood and it came out fine.

Oh, I will be mixing my epoxy in a blender at frappe speed;)

I also started a website so my friends and relatives can see whats up with this project, link in below.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

congrats on the convergence from arm chair builder to real builder !

you will have lots of dumb small questions, and the reading may seam to be in marshion at times so ask away.

rule number one....no epoxy in the blender and don't @#$@ in your coffee cup;)

Steve M. Parkins

Just an update on Aircraft Spruce Customer Service. I received a very nice phone call today following up with me to see if I received my order and if everything was in order. Had a nice conversation with them and we resolved a few minor issues. So, my learning from this all is that I should use telephone conversation with customer service to resolve any issues. In the past I relied on the online system which may not be the best way to get to a 'real' human. When my order arrived there was visible damage to one package with foam damage inside. I was also missing one item, fuel selector. No real problems though as I was able to use the foam (there was enough extra) and the fuel selector isn't needed fro some time yet.

Just thought I would set the record straight with ACS, as they delivered the goods ( a lot of materials) at a great price.

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist