Another n00b question

goatherder

• 10 months later...

RE: Limo EZ

Hi Joe - I am about to start building bulkheads here and I want to build a larger fuselage similar to yours.

What I'm thinking is to add a 4" strip to the middle of all the bulkhead templates, and another 4" strip down near the bottom (below spar level of course) which will make the fuselage 4" wider and 4" deeper. This should add considerable room to both the front and rear seats. Hopefully my wife will maintain her girlish figure and not fill in the extra room with ass. (I've warned her about this.)

I also want to lengthen it, and I need to know where to position the canard....or I guess where to position F22 in relation to the firewall.

Did you work a drawing for the Limo, or from Berkut drawings or did you just talk with Sam Kriedel and get the info from him?

I want to make a roomier plane, but I'm no engineer and so I want to follow a tried-and-true formula. Any info would be helpful.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

Just wanted to say that Sam Kreidel's Limo EZ was a great looking plane. A friend in a LongEZ and me in my Varieze stopped at Polson, Montana during the summer of 1992. Sam had a hanger there and apparently stayed at Polson during the summer. He took us on a tour of Flathead Lake and was a gentleman by keeping his nose gear in the down position to maintain a speed that we could manage !!

Wayne Johnson........Lake Stevens, WA

Marc,

I am at work and do not have access to all of the particuliars but I will follow up from home. What I would do is try to layout the fuselage either in cad or scaled drawings. I started with graph paper and built templates from them. You could then build parts of a full size fuselage out of cardboard. This will allow you to actually see how much room you have after adjusting the template. The templates affected are the F22, IP, seatback and later on firewall. The spar stays the same with the exception of the lower inboard line that is not parallel to the spar top line. That angle will change as the lower line of the spar is stretch to accomodate the 22" firewall. I did not make the bottom of the fuselage flat. It is curver from fron to back so there may be a little reduction in lift but probably imeasurable. It is amazing how much room you pick up for to aft when occupants sit more upright. This can also be modeled using full size templates. Also curving the fuselage (top to bottom) gives you more room where you need it. Here is a pic when I started painting. It shows just how much room there is with a 4.5" strech.

post-1197-141090173009_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply Joe.

Maybe I'm off base here...but I was just thinking I could just add the same amount to all the bulkhead templates, and then add the 4.5" stretch just behind the front seatback where the bottom is relatively flat, and then add 4" width to the middle of the spar. Seems to me that it should be relatively simple to scale it up this way.

However, this method might result in a plane that is rather boxy looking and not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as some other planes are. Can't have that.

More later. Merry christmas.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

Marc,

It is 110" from the firewall to the F22, It is 93" from the firewall to the IP, it is 55" from the firewall to the front of the front seatback at the longeron. This is measured off of my Limo EZ not Sam's. I have the seatback angle at 36 degrees and the IP has a 7 degree tilt.

Joe Berki

Limo EZ

Marc,

Thanks and you are too kind. Here is an excerpt from the CSA article for Sam's Limo EZ and some of my words: From the article: "The firewall was widened 2 1/4"...The aft compartment being stretched 4 1/2". The pilot station was moved forward this amount. The canard also went forward this "limo" amount plus an additional 2" making it 6 1/2" farther forward than a stock Long EZ. The calculated CG shift forward was about 2". The m.a.c.of lift also had to move forward so I (Sam) achieved this by two means. The canard shift forward handled half the requirement while a 7" canard span increase took care of the remainder." The standard canard is 140". The Cozy MkIV canard is 147". I built the canard using the methods used to build the Cozy card. The center is different and the lift tabs were placed for the widened fuselage. Back to the article: "The nose gear also went forward with the canard plus and aditional 1"" ... In addition to moving the longerons apart 3/4" at the pilot panel, the fuselage sides were constructed out of 2" urethane foam to permit 'hollowing' thereby limiting cross section drag. It was necessary to jig each side and bottom into curved shape before skinning the inside to prevent 'suckin' during fuselage assembly"

Joe Berki

Thanks again Joe - this is the kind of info I needed. I am in the process of figuring all this stuff out right now.

I don't think I'm going to jig the sides curved though - I'm just going to skin them flat as per plans and then put the thing together. Hopefully it won't end up looking too much like the Fedex truck. I made everything 4" wider across the board. I havent cut out the seatbacks yet but I'm going to go and do that now, then jam them in between the sides and see how it looks.

This foam-whackin stuff is kinda fun. I haven't started the messy part yet.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA