Sign in to follow this  
TMann

N200LZ: Chapter 10 - Part Two

If anyone is real curious .......... send me a check and I'll ship my canard to you.

Why not take it to Rough River and do a demo by loading it to failure? Given the general lack of test data available for these designs, there would probably be quite a bit of interest in the results. (Put a tent around it and you could charge admission for the peep show. :D )

Joe Polenek

Funny about weighing product going on a project. When I painted my E Racer, I weighed all the product to paint the AC, less packaging and can weight came to 97 lbs. Weighed the AC before painting, all preped for paint and weighed after completed. Painted AC weighed +23 lbs. Go figure.

Jack

> weight came to 97 lbs. Weighed the AC before painting, all preped for paint

> and weighed after completed. Painted AC weighed +23 lbs.

Overspray and volatile solvents.

If anyone is real curious .......... send me a check and I'll ship my canard to you. Figure on 30+# for frieght. :D

Figure on on 170 lbs once you build a crate and packing... I just did this. The canard was 25lbs, box 150 lbs.

What is more likely is that I would cut the canard straight through one of the lift tabs from front to back and display it at our EAA Chapter hangar.

As you know from my Chapter 25 pages, the "milling machine" was the cat's meow for contouring the top of the canard. I was unable to do that on the bottom because the hinges get in the way.

I made a sled to contour sand the bottom of the canard. I'm not sure if the WH Contour Sled idea is better than folding napkins or crushed ice, but it's up there.

I'll have pix up on my website shortly.

Rick

About the weight of your first canard...

Did you squeegee out the excess epoxy from each spar cap tape as you went along or did you rely on the vac-bagging to draw out the excess for you?

As for what to do with the first canard, a proof load test is mucho cooler than a cutaway specimen. :D

I squeegeed as I went. I also used heat to thin it out as much as possible.

About the weight of your first canard...

Did you squeegee out the excess epoxy from each spar cap tape as you went along or did you rely on the vac-bagging to draw out the excess for you?

As for what to do with the first canard, a proof load test is mucho cooler than a cutaway specimen. :D

He could do both. There still might be some relatively undamaged areas left that could be made into a cutaway.

Just realized I never posted an exact weight as a result of my rebuild.

19 lb 1 oz

Well worth the effort I think. I'll transfer that experience to the new parts I build.

Wow. I'd still like to know where that extra 10lbs is? I'd like to lose 10lbs either off me or my plane!

Wow. I'd still like to know where that extra 10lbs is?

Yeah, me too but I through quessing. I think it's in the spar cap.

.........moving on.