New Builder In Westchester County NY

I've been building for 5 yrs and I use almost all slow. Sometimes if I'll be making lots of small layups over a couple weeks, I'll mix in some fast hardener to speed things up.

Slow is just so much more controllable. You never know how long something will take until you do it. It really sucks to get behind the epoxy curing, and have to re-do it.

Using the multi-vis rule is a good way to have working time control during the various size lay-ups. I used to have 50-55 and 70-35 mixed up in different containers. You will start with small lay-ups, so you will be able to experiment with working time. The warmer the epoxy the better. 100F degree+. 100 Celsius MIGHT exotherm a tad! MGS is negatively affected in TG when all slow is used, or so I was told.

As far as the scale goes, it is a better way to control your ratio's, but slower. I used a digital gem scale and had misc. weights posted on the wall. For large lay-ups I would pre measure what I needed of the epoxy in 100g cups, then when I needed the next batch, would weigh in the hardener. Also, if you use the scales, people would always ask..........well, you know. Forget trying to keep them clean, it ain't gonna happen, least not for me.

A 4' table is nice for multiple project pieces (and getting epoxy on your shirt). Mine was made in two pieces so I could have 2 6' tables that screwed together into one 13 footer. I had the advantage of a laser to level things, so if your neighbor is a contractor, grab his, or hers.......with this economy, I am sure it is available.

Good luck, and let me know if any of your buddies want to buy a project.

I use two pumps for MGS 335. That allows me to mix them to suit my needs. I vacuum bag most of my parts so I use more slow to get the best benefit of the system. There are times when you will want to use straight fast such as when you micro parts together.

I would avoid all fast when applying flox. It has a tendancy to exotherm.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I did an all-slow layup last night. It's in the vacuum bag all tucked in under a folded electric blanket under a foam enclosure.

Toasty!

Anyway, the slow is almost a must for long layups especially if you bag.

The slow is an approved epoxy/hardner combination and if there was a problem. I'm sure it would not have made the approved list.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done