mk1000 Nutplate

Cozy1200

Completely untrue. Chapter 7 of AC43-13-1B addresses locking nuts, including locking nutplates. Paragraphs 63 and 64, in particular. There's even a table of torques for RE-USED locking nuts (including nutplates).

If you were taught that nutplates that are to be riveted or welded to aircraft structure are not to be re-used, then you were taught incorrectly.

You want to throw the BOLT away - go right ahead. But there is no need whatsoever to have any doubt about re-using the nutplate.

Forget nut plates... I though of self locking nuts... no needs to discards the bolt though...

Forget nut plates... I though of self locking nuts... no needs to discards the bolt though...

The self-locking nuts are re-usable as well - the section of AC43-13-1B that I pointed you to makes no distinction between nutplates and metal self locking nuts. The re-use torque limits are identical.

Yeah, I don't think that's a k1000 nutplate. The K1000/MK1000 doesn't have the long ears on it.

I will try to order them again, however these were from ACS and I did specify K1000-4s. I will see what arrives in the mail...

Yeah, I don't think that's a k1000 nutplate. The K1000/MK1000 doesn't have the long ears on it.

Ok, after looking through the ACS printed catalog, it seems clear that the K1000 has the long ears and the MK1000 has the short ears.

Presuming that is correct, it seems that the plans should call for an MK1000-4.

A search of the CPs did not identify any correction to this, so I am still a little unsure what the recommended procedure is.

You can get everything excluding the 5/8 OD inserts by ordering the chapter kit from Wicks($35.16.)

If in doubt about a part, as you pull up the chapter, they have a link to a pdf file that details all of the part numbers for that chapter.

Cozy Girrrls have the inserts.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

You can get everything excluding the 5/8 OD inserts by ordering the chapter kit from Wicks($35.16.)

If in doubt about a part, as you pull up the chapter, they have a link to a pdf file that details all of the part numbers for that chapter.

Cozy Girrrls have the inserts.

That is exactly what I did. I ordered the chapter kit and the inserts from the Girrls.

As I see it I have two options, Order the smaller MK1000-4 nutplates, or fabricate a peice of aluminium large enough to work with my existing K1000-4s.

I imagine this all sounds a little picky, I just want to do this as close to the plans as possible.

I checked the AeroCad plans (Chapter 13 Pg 8, bottom.)

There is a typo for the size of the aluminum plate but you'll get the drift:

Now rivet K 1000-4

nutplates to two ¾ in. x 1-1 A in. pieces of 0.063 in. thick’2024T3 aluminum,

sand the aft face of F-22 and the forward faces of the nut plate retainers, apply

flox to both, and bolt the nut plate retainers to F-22 with greasy AN4 bolts and

enough washers to hold them tight. Apply 1 ply of BID over the nut plate retainers,

lapping onto F-22, to hold them securely in place. Allow to cure.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Got it. I will make a couple of aluminium plates. thanks.

Yeah, well thatnks for posting the issue. I stopped short of mounting my canard to go back and rebuild it so I haven't gotten to that yet. I'll add a piece of aluminum to my next order to stay ahead of the curve. ;)

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Page 13-8 of the AeroCad plans has a typo for the size of the plate used to attach the nutplate to. It would be nice to have the actual measurement to work with if anyone has it, or if it's listed it the Cozy plans as the same type of fabrication.

Now rivet K 1000-4 nutplates to two ¾ in. x 1-1 A in. pieces of 0.063 in. thick’2024T3 aluminum

My guess would be 1.25 inches

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

The self-locking nuts are re-usable as well - the section of AC43-13-1B that I pointed you to makes no distinction between nutplates and metal self locking nuts. The re-use torque limits are identical.

Well that is good news... I have several thousands of these at home... all collected after first removal :D

Page 13-8 of the AeroCad plans has a typo for the size of the plate used to attach the nutplate to. It would be nice to have the actual measurement to work with if anyone has it, or if it's listed it the Cozy plans as the same type of fabrication.

My guess would be 1.25 inches

I am thinking that I will use some 1/8" stock I have lying around. They should add only a little more weight (probably still lighter than the washers called out in the plans, and I can use some of the thousands of rivets I have left over from the lift tab inserts.

I am thinking that I will use some 1/8" stock I have lying around. They should add only a little more weight (probably still lighter than the washers called out in the plans, and I can use some of the thousands of rivets I have left over from the lift tab inserts.

i have change the same thing in my landing gear and my engine mount ( anodized 4103 chrome-moly.....to 6066-T6 AL.). some may think there was a engineer behind what was used on this plane but after reading here in this post i can clearly see what i have done is done all the time by none-engineer type builders.:bad:

next will be the moving of the canard so my dog has a place to sit.:P

(this post is sarcasm and is for educational arouse only !)

Steve M. Parkins

Hey PTM.

I got my chapter 12 hardware from Wicks and you are right. I can't believe they are not aware of this. The ears measure 1 1/4 while the washer measures 1 1/8th.

(I even tried fitting it on the washer at an angle.:D )

I'll shoot them a call tomorrow to make sure they are aware of the problem. I also ordered up the .063 aluminum at the same time so that's the route I'm going to take.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory