Cozy1200

Where did you install your shoulder seatbelt attach points  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you install your shoulder seatbelt attach points

• 8.6" (Current updated plans)
    • 11.5 (Orginal plans)
    • Neither.

I apologize for my post 15 sarcasm.

Was said by others planning to fly with their significant others[was it Slade?]...that the less complicated the seatbelting...the easier for "mile-highing"....Just a point to ponder when thinking about all those points and straps and such....;)

LongEze drivers will have to sit this feature out...:(

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

If you have sat in a Cozy, you note that the reclining position with a snugged belt wont lend itself to allowing you forward motion- unless the lapp belt breaks....because you butt is LOWER than your thighs and knees. YOU aint going forward.

If you are short like me (5'9), you will find your butt, thighs, and knees quite level just to get up to where I can see.

..that the less complicated the seatbelting...the easier for "mile-highing"...

If anyone gets it into their head that they can screw, or even have oral sex in a COZY MKIV, they better either have no bones in their body or be 2' 6" tall (each) if they are to have any hope of succeeding. A hand job is about as complex as it's going to get.

Christ - just taking a sweatshirt off is a 10 minute operation.

If you are short like me (5'9), you will find your butt, thighs, and knees quite level just to get up to where I can see.

Then build the whole seat assembly on a 1-1/2inch block higher up so you can see over the IP just fine. Its YOUR airplane, and simple quick fiberglass work... Customize it!!!

Marc, without calling out names, several have in the past claimed to have achieved some degree of nirvana of the mile high variety. Perhaps double jointed, perhaps hobbit sized persons, I dunno.

Heck, Jerry Schneider got out of his seatbelt flipped over and mooned cheeks skyward at that commercial airliner...and he's a good sized guy. So the mechanics I leave up to the couples creativity. But the seat belt remark has been made in the past.:rolleyes:

Me, I am going to be doin' good just concentrating on flying the darn airplane, let alone contemplating such shenanigans. But other more accomplished pilots...YMMV.

Please, no Billy Barty jokes...restrain yourself.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I don't know about the Cozy but the Long-EZ POH says you use extra seat cushions to get your head within 1 inch of the canopy to get the best viewing angle. No additional cushions behind the pilots back, instead adjust the pedals towards the pilot instead.

I'll bet John Denver wished he had read that part.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I apologize for my post 15 sarcasm.

Was said by others planning to fly with their significant others[was it Slade?]...that the less complicated the seatbelting...the easier for "mile-highing"....Just a point to ponder when thinking about all those points and straps and such....;)

LongEze drivers will have to sit this feature out...:(

OK, I now officially give up attempting to guess where these threads might lead....

I looked for the appropriate emoticon for this one and somehow this seemed appropriate: :banana:

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

I don't know about the Cozy but the Long-EZ POH says you use extra seat cushions to get your head within 1 inch of the canopy to get the best viewing angle. No additional cushions behind the pilots back, instead adjust the pedals towards the pilot instead.

I'll bet John Denver wished he had read that part.

for many short pilots they need to add a seat cushion to move them forward so they can reach the stick and the radios. on the original brakes you just adjust the cable connector to make the pedals angle closer to you.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

for many short pilots they need to add a seat cushion to move them forward so they can reach the stick and the radios. on the original brakes you just adjust the cable connector to make the pedals angle closer to you.

Really? The disigner had a different opinion.

Check out Page 9 of the POH

. The adjustable rudder pedals should be set in the aft position for short pilots and they should use cushions under them, not behind them. If a short pilot uses a large cushion behind him, he will be positioned forward and down because of the windshield slant angle and have inadequate visibility during climb and landing flare. Confirm that your head is within 1 inch of touching the canopy before you take off.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Yes---you use extra cusion to move up---no extra cusion behind the back. My point was---if you are tall---or at least torso tall, your butt does in fact sit deep within the seat with your thighs and knees coming above the level of your butt. If torso short (like me), you need extra cusion----which in fact fills that "bucket seat" and your thighs and knees are no longer above butt level----but (hehe) at butt level.

John Denver put, I forget, 2 maybe 3 cushions under and behind him and look where it got him.

I still say build to suit the pilot. Unless you are planning on changing out the pilot.

How many guys are going to loan their plane out to somebody? Not many I would venture.

Build that seat bottom to rise up properly underneath your thighs if you are shorter. Or build the seat/thigh risers and 1-1/2" riser bottom as a unit that can be unscrewed/screwed/removed and a standard one installed, should you sell the plane. Cut out an inch+ on the lower pilot IP. An Efis takes up much less room than a sixpack of instruments there, so a bit less tall panel there is no problem. Putting a Sears Roebuck catalog or triple inch foam under a short pilots butt just looks so un-custom, when it is so easy to make things out of fiberglass. Plus you can say, " yea I made that..it's custom fit to my personal liking. Cool.:cool:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Really? The disigner had a different opinion.

Check out Page 9 of the POH

the designer is 6' 2" how would he know what a person 5' 2" needs to fly a long eze. and you will find out why you do not want to be within 1" of the canopy the first time you hit a bump in the sky.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

the designer is 6' 2" how would he know what a person 5' 2" needs to fly a long eze. and you will find out why you do not want to be within 1" of the canopy the first time you hit a bump in the sky.

Yeah ..... what the heck does that guy know anyway! :D

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Yeah ..... what the heck does that guy know anyway! :D

nothing about being 5' 2" tall. I have a copilot that is and in my plane built for 6'2" pilot you need to add back support behind the copilot so they can reach the radios and the stick. by angling them more upright their upper body is moved forward. adding cushion under the seat just causes them to lay back even further then before. it puts their shoulders higher but further from the controls. once you are flying and get to try it you will see what I mean.

Field of Vision: As you sit looking forward, can you see the canopy latch without turning your head?

TMann,

I don`t developed the brackets of the FHC latch yet.

But my approach is to have the actuator of the latch inside the canopy frame, above the sticks.

So they are on my field of vision.

When I have some drawings, or photos, I let you know.

My concern is about all the hardware and tubes exposed. I don`t like that.

Our canopy have some foam thickness that is possible to cross one SS tiny tube or thick SS wire(0.098") inside the frame to actuate the latch.

Since the latch tongue is pending from the canopy to cross inside the shoulder foam around the SS tube to hold the canopy.

I don`t decide if I go one big FHC or the small front canopy and gullwing door, like BigSteve.:confused:

Alexandre Souto

Cozy Mark IV

Ch 09, Go Retracts!

Brazil

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/voolivrebrasilia/exindex.html