Project: Intruder

Velocity_Russia

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have a homepage vortal?

Nop

i don't want to provide to much informations on what i'm doing, because i need to do some testing to see if my concepts are flyable.

but yeah, it's also a molded glass/carbon aircraft 4 seater (could be 2 seater also, but i am designing as if its was the only one, and the GIB wants to be on the side and not behind...

if it works well it could evolve into something bigger...

mainly because it's unproven concept and i don't want to go thru the hassle with skeptics...

also i don't talk about a concept that is far from ready, even more from production... you'll have the surprise one day in Oshkosh or some other air meetings. too many interesting concept have landed on this forum and finally died before production. if this one dies, nobody will complain or even notice

if it works, you will all be surprised!

• 2 weeks later...

First flight planned in 2010??? I applaud that rate of progress! You must have quite a team and great financing!

Beautiful smooth lines but why the bolt on vertical stabilizers? Obviously I'm looking at the mold, right? Then why not mold the wings and fuselage as separate parts?

Beautiful smooth lines but why the bolt on vertical stabilizers? Obviously I'm looking at the mold, right? Then why not mold the wings and fuselage as separate parts?

it's not the mold, it's the parts mold will be made from, and he needs to attach the winglet to the wing to check interface design,

what i want to now is from what material/construction that shape the mold will be made on is made out off?

i suppose it's wood structure, but the actual shape?

First flight planned in 2010??? I applaud that rate of progress! You must have quite a team and great financing!

We have good team and no any problem with financing. I have 3 Velocity kit's and second kit has been builded in 3 mounths (all composite work without engine and avionics).

You see model. This model used to produce molds. Wings and winglets in model can be separated from fuselage. In other case we can't rotate model. Winglet model can be separated from wing model to make possibility for change winglets form in next mold generation in future (If we want to change it we just make 4 new small molds without changing big wings molds).

what i want to know is from what material/construction that shape the mold will be made on is made out off?

i suppose it's wood structure, but the actual shape?

molds produced:

mold surface -epoxy gelcoat (approx 0.06" thickness)

mold body - approx 12-15 layers of glass, more than 0.6" thickness (cloth like your Triax in Velocity wings, but Bi directional. This glass have very low cost for me and good quality ;))

mold box strengthening - sandwiches from BID & styrofoam (spaces inside box cells foam filled)

No ANY wood and metall parts! This materials can give water and thermo troubles in molds. Only one (buttom fuselage and strakes) mold in our aircraft have plywood (water proof) inside, but additionaly water protected. We use wood in case of big size and weight of this mold.

I saw Velocity and Berkut molds. This molds have no "box strengthening" and composite details from Velocity kit have some changes from original design. Just trust me or ask other kit builders that can say you were and how much inches you must rebuild in the kit. Molds is mother and father of composite aircraft. If parents have curves, all childrens will be curved too or must meet with doctors ;).

molds produced:

mold surface -epoxy gelcoat (approx 0.06" thickness)

mold body - approx 12-15 layers of glass, more than 0.6" thickness (cloth like your Triax in Velocity wings, but Bi directional. This glass have very low cost for me and good quality ;))

mold box strengthening - sandwiches from BID & styrofoam (spaces inside box cells foam filled)

Thanks for the answer, but i was talking about the model on witch you make the mold, the model you were explaining to Neverquit

i like this methodology but i don't know what is done in the field, some plaster, others wood...? what is yours?

I worry about the "foam filled" spaces in the support boxes. This type of foam often keeps expanding, especially on hot days. This may slightly distort your molds or cause "oil canning" or bulging of the surfaces between the bulkheads.

Very awesome looking plug.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

i like this methodology but i don't know what is done in the field, some plaster, others wood...? what is yours?

If you look at the West Systems site under Vacuum Bagging, they detail how this is done. It's the same as what was described.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

:ROTFLMAO: Everything will beat the Infinity to market... Even the DeltaHawk engines.:o

I think the market will define the outcome of both the Infinity and the Intruder.

It decided the fate of the Berkut didn't it?

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Just the fact that there is a picture of it being worked on gives it a 100% better chance

......better chance it will be priced outside of most builder's means. Anyone know how many Berkut kits were sold?

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

But sometimes you make exact copy as well.:D

Check out Tu-4 and B-29

If you see deeper you find another engines, weigth, materials and other ;).

Thanks for the answer, but i was talking about the model on witch you make the mold, the model you were explaining to Neverquit

Sorry for my missunderstanding.

Model produced from plywood (cutted from digital model with approx 4" steps). Plywood installed on 3 square extruded aluminium profiles. Spaces between plywood filled styrofoam and screewed together. We use additional supports for assembling to get accurate positioning aluminium profiles and plywood. Model of fuselage assemled from 3 main blocks and after 3 blocks has been jouned together. Before final joining, surfaces has been composite covered. And every steps all sizes checked, checked and checked. Fuselage model get approx 1 mounth of work.

I worry about the "foam filled" spaces in the support boxes. This type of foam often keeps expanding, especially on hot days. This may slightly distort your molds or cause "oil canning" or bulging of the surfaces between the bulkheads.

Very awesome looking plug.

...Chrissi

Yes! You must know characteristics of foam exactly to be sure. We have multilayers several days filling. Foam used only to fix scratchs of styrofoams that we have in big quantity. Filling of each box take approx one week with heating of each layer. Be extreemly accurate with expanding foam, in other case you can destroy your mold!

Thanks Cozy Girrrl for good question!

It may beat the Infinity to the US market.:rolleyes:

Slowly, slowly. I don't want to make competition on any market. I just want to make my dream. May be in future this airplane be presented on US market, but I don't ready now to speak about it. I'm not be ready when airplane make first flight. I must get all flight test done and this road is long.